British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-07-17, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
My kids will be able to sell my Connaught Rangers trinket with the description - Obtained from a veteran who collected for over forty years.

Or they can put it in a metal cigarette box with some other dubious pieces and just say they got it from their dad who spent 26 years in the army.

They wouldn't have told any outright lies, but they wouldn't have told the whole truth either.

Phil
Maybe my sons'll sell my fake badges welded to horseshoe horse heads as "trench art".
Old 16-07-17, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crest-insignia View Post
Are those keys genuine or reproduction?
The keys are genuine, as are the tulwar, bayonets etc.
The gate's got a "gap" in the middle section as I removed the police hanger, I thought about having a relic condition bayonet or modern tourist-tat repro. sword welded on to replace it but can't bring myself to wreck even a relic or to add a modern item to the original stuff.

I'm cobbling together a white painted wooden casing to house a black cast iron water pump as a garden ornament version of the local village pumps, so I'll paint up a fake Oxf & Bucks LI cap badge black & nail it to the casing as a symbol of Huntingdonshire.

Yes, its another slow, quiet day..........
Old 09-09-20, 11:38 PM

I have produced an article showing all the variants of the Lincolnshire sphinx badges that I have found. The article also covers fake Lincolnshire badges and how to spot them. As a picture is better than a description I found myself buying up any fake Lincolnshire badges that I could find in order to illustrate the article. I didn't pay very much for them. There are 15 fakes that I have identified so far. It would be great if Forum members could produce similar articles to pass on to newer collectors to prevent them from being stung. If anyone wants a copy of the article please leave me a message with your e-mail and I will forward it to you.
Old 10-09-20, 03:13 AM

I've been burned than I can tell, but would never sell a fake knowingly. I usually toss them in a box or pass them on to military buffs who are not collectors, but clearly identifying them as fakes and show them why.

Terry.
Old 23-08-21, 05:13 AM

Hello ,I am not a badge collector,This is my first post on this forum,
as I said I my profile post,I am a collector of many things, re fakes in any field of collecting ,at the start it can be a leaning thing,as the chap said" Learn Quickly"
education is the key, price is also another clue(unless you are very lucky,does not happen very often")

Sometimes I feel it is good to have a fake or bad quality item next to the genuine one to show people the difference(may be they will not know the difference)but we can try and explain what the difference it.

The feel of an original item is very hard to explain ,an experienced collector has a gut feel ,when he sees and holds the item ,that it is right or wrong.

Regards Gorgio.
Old 24-08-21, 02:03 AM

I have got into trouble before on the Forum when I confessed that, after all these years, I started collecting fake badges. A few years ago I could not resist buying around 80 pre-1881 glengarry badges for $2 each. They look great in a large frame. I certainly could not afford to buy the originals and have always admired the heraldry.
My problem now is that when I want to fill in the gaps and find the missing ones, I am too mean to pay the dealers 10 to 15 pounds each.
Where do the dealers get their supplies? Is it possible to buy them in bulk from the manufacturers?
Old 24-08-21, 08:59 AM

As I've said before, you could buy them by the kilo in gallon containers 20years ago, people used to go to a small venue in North London and be out with in 5 minutes after filling a carrier bag with badges.