British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Officer Training and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-03-10, 04:41 PM

Default RC Army Cadets - Looking for...

Ok, where shall I begin. I'm looking for anything Royal Canadian Army Cadets, some links below will give you an idea of the holes I'm trying to fill:

metal hat badges and collars-

http://www.armycadethistory.com/hat_badges_collars.htm

cloth shoulder titles

http://www.armycadethistory.com/shoulder_titles.htm

Tunic buttons

http://www.armycadethistory.com/tunic_buttons.htm

The entire accoutrements page (warning, lots of photos)

http://www.armycadethistory.com/accoutrements1.htm

If members don't mind, I'd be delighted to see and use scans of any badges we don't already have. I'm willing to buy/trade as well. All of my cadet items will eventually be donated to the Greater Vernon and Area Museum in Vernon, BC. They already have a significant quantity of items and are planning a new military wing in the years to come.

My goal is to create and maintain an online army cadet history site for anyone involved in the program. Accoutrements is an important part of our history. Along the way I'll be selling/trading non-cadet items I've collected along the way. I'll post those pieces in the months to come. Thank you in advance.

cheers,
Francois
Old 14-03-10, 05:47 PM

I have a bag full of metal caps; will look them up today and see if there is anything you need. Did not know there were two versions,will have to take a closer look. Brian
Old 15-03-10, 11:33 AM

Default Cadet Badges

Greetings and welcome to the forum. It is great to know that there will be another good reference for badges on the new. Your school cadet badge images are a very good reference.

What do you think about the cadet badge in the 1920 index - Cadets - Cadets. The badge is the Lion over the Crown surrounded by maple leafs. I have one of these badges and it is dated 1916

Thanks

Larry
Old 15-03-10, 03:16 PM

Larry,

Dated 1916? Sounds about right. The branch existed as of 1909. There has been discussion as to when the Cadet Services hat badge first appeared, somewhere between 1910 & 1915. Previous to that we do see the "CS" and horn badge used for Cadet Instructors, though I've not yet been given absolute proof that it was Cadet Instructors. Other than Mazeas reference; that said, who does Mazeas reference back too?

That is the main problem with researching Army Cadets, very little thought was given to keeping track of information as it was not near as important as any other aspect of the military. I've been at this now for while and I learn new information every week. I'm aware that many Cadet Services officers wore the school corps, or affiliated regimental hat badge, in some cases they wore their previous unit badge, CEF or other militia unit. It was common practise right up until the early 1980s for CIL (Cadet Instructors List) officers to wear the affiliated hat badge much to the chagrin of Ottawa, so much so that it was printed in routine order that CIL Officers shall not wear affiliated unit badges but CIL badges. I have examples of that paperwork between 1965 and 1981.

It can be challenging, but the info is out there. I look forward to hearing from other members.

cheers,
Francois

www.armycadethistory.com
Old 15-03-10, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Francois, To answer your question about the Mazeas references, his books are based on general orders. However, even the GO's and RO's were not followed, or were after the fact, or were erroneous.
Old 15-03-10, 07:49 PM

Default "Keeping Records"

I don't think the Cadets are any different than any other Military organization for the lack of records as to how or what or why a badge was used. Keep digging, you'll only go crazy a little bit!!!!

Larry
Old 15-03-10, 08:50 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Speakinf of Cadets , here's something. http://cgi.ebay.ca/Canadian-Button-C...item45f181f09c
Old 17-03-10, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
Speakinf of Cadets , here's something. http://cgi.ebay.ca/Canadian-Button-C...item45f181f09c
It's a nice piece, I have one already. BTW, this fellow selling the button on EBay is one of the good guys, he's the son of a good friend of mine and former CSofC/CIL officer here in Calgary. He tends to find some nice and some times rare pieces.

cheers,

www.armycadethistory.com
Old 18-03-10, 01:18 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCArmyCadets View Post
It's a nice piece, I have one already. BTW, this fellow selling the button on EBay is one of the good guys, he's the son of a good friend of mine and former CSofC/CIL officer here in Calgary. He tends to find some nice and some times rare pieces.

cheers,
Yes i've dealt with him before, seems like one of the good ones. He has an Irish Fusiliers of Canada button made by Scully I'd like to get.
Old 06-04-10, 10:27 PM

Hello Francois,
A belated welcome to the forum. You are undoubtedly the subject matter expert in the field of Canadian Army Cadets and I look forward to your posts.
Wyn van der Schee
ex-Calgarian now living in Kingston, ON
Old 15-04-10, 03:24 PM

Wyn,

Hello. Good to hear from, it's been a while. I'm quite honoured to be considered as the SME for army cadets, I've committed some 30 years to it now. I do as well look forward to everyone's input. I know there are many pieces out there in people's collection that I've never seen, with approx 2050 unique flocked yellow on green shoulder flashes manufactured between 1942-46, and my haveing only 100 of them, there has to be a few around.

Wyn, I very much look forward to your wisdom and input.

thank you,
Francois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn vdSchee View Post
Hello Francois,
A belated welcome to the forum. You are undoubtedly the subject matter expert in the field of Canadian Army Cadets and I look forward to your posts.
Wyn van der Schee
ex-Calgarian now living in Kingston, ON

www.armycadethistory.com
Old 13-07-10, 12:25 AM

I checked the links and didn't see this cap badge...

Is it rare?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cadets.jpg (78.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 13-07-10, 12:11 PM

Not dead common, but not hard to get.

Follow this link to the Mazeas badges on this forum.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/can...nada/index.htm

Phil
Old 25-05-11, 06:57 PM

Hi Francois,

I think you have everything I have spares of already, but if you have spares of any CSofC or pre-CSofC stuff, please send me a PM. I'm looking for QC and KC CSofC collar badges, pre CSofC everything, and related ephemera such as lanyards/belt buckles/shoulder titles.

I'll bring everything I have to Vernon this summer if you want to look over and haggle...
Old 26-05-11, 02:45 PM

Default Queens crown

http://cgi.ebay.ca/260785948535?ru=h...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I have seen the kings crown version of this badge, but not the queens crown before, is it a rare piece?