British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-21, 09:30 AM

Default Officer Cadet White peak

As in the First World War the officer cadets of WW2 wore on their headdress a white cap band. In order to save material, in October 1942 the white cap band was replaced by a white peak if the cadet wore the Field Service Cap.

I am trying to find a photo of the white peak being worn by the Army - there are plenty of it worn by the RAF as shown - for use in the Military Historical Society's 2021 Annual special publication on British Army Headdress 1939-1945.

If you have an image I can use please PM me.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg offr cadet white peak RAF.jpg (33.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 16-04-21, 10:48 AM

Found a photo described as "OCTU Map reading on the escarpment 1943" which may be useful. Perhaps they will allow you to reproduce it ?

https://stanstedhistory.org/landmarks-octu/

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 16-04-21, 03:55 PM

An interesting photo Mike. I cant really remember seeing any Army photos, most being the RAF as Jon has pointed out.

As a point of interest (if my eyes are seeing it right) whereas the RAF example is a small 'half moon' of cloth worn in front of or just behind the peak of the side cap, the Army photo of OCTU you've highlighted looks instead like a strip of white tape worn along the upper edge of the peak, rather than a separate piece of cloth as worn by the RAF. I may be wrong...
Old 16-04-21, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
As a point of interest (if my eyes are seeing it right) whereas the RAF example is a small 'half moon' of cloth worn in front of or just behind the peak of the side cap, the Army photo of OCTU you've highlighted looks instead like a strip of white tape worn along the upper edge of the peak, rather than a separate piece of cloth as worn by the RAF. I may be wrong...
Definitely looks very different to the RAF one shown , as the link I posted is from 1943 it may simply be a case of "make do and mend" and they are reusing/refashioning the old white cap bands ?

Found an earlier photo from 1940 which appears to show the white band worn between the folds of the side cap.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...oto/1273848957

Old 16-04-21, 05:12 PM

the OCTU pic I have does not show the white peak, either a band or a badge backing is used, though a few have coloured fs caps so would not I assume wear the white peak
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Officer Cadets group wm.jpg (94.1 KB, 39 views)

Jerry
Old 16-04-21, 07:24 PM

The photo Jerry posted also shows the majority of officer cadets wearing a white ‘ivorine’ disc behind their cap badge worn in the cap GS and beret. This practice was carried forward into the early 1970s by officer cadets at Mons OCS. This seems more practical than the peak or white band.

Tim
Old 16-04-21, 07:45 PM

Not much help, but some notes I made years ago (probably based on info. in Brian Leigh Davis's "British Army Uniforms and Equipment of World War Two".

Officer Cadets being trained at Officer Cadet Training Units wore a white cloth band around the lower part of their headress, in June 1940 it was decided that a similar distinction would be worn around the base of each shoulder strap, the white cloth being locally procured by units.

In June 1941, RAC Officer Cadets were authorised to wear a 1 3/4" diameter white ivorine (a type of plastic material) disc as a backing to their badge worn on the black beret (the black beret was known as the "cap, RTR"). White ivorine lozenges were also worn.

As an economy measure, a later instruction of October 1942 introduced a white peak to be worn with the Field Sevice Cap (sidecap) rather than the white band, in Septemeber 1943, with the introduction of the floppy beret like General Service Cap, the cloth FSC peak, the white ivorine disc & lozenge were replaced with a 3" diameter white ivorine disc.

Current stocks of white peaks were to be used up before the 3" diameter discs were worn, the white ivorine lozenges continued in wear by RAC OCTU Cadets until supplies were used up (exceptions to the use of the 3" disc included Cadets authorised to wear Service Dress Caps who were reissued white cap bands).
Old 16-09-21, 03:04 PM

I am reviving this thread in the hope that it might unearth a reasonable photo of the white peak worn by Army officer cadets. One member kindly sent me an image but it was not clear enough for my purpose.

If you can help please either post here or PM me.

Jon

Jon
Old 16-09-21, 03:52 PM

Jon

Although its not what you want, it seems to demonstrate the white band was in use a fair while after October 1942.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313002671164

https://www.alamy.com/series-octu-tr...341655450.html

https://www.alamy.com/series-octu-tr...341655447.html
Old 16-09-21, 03:54 PM

This may show it but the image here is pitifully small...

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...personnel/1723
Old 16-09-21, 04:06 PM

Another that shows the white band (amongst other things) worn well into June 1944.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 160 OCTU June 1944.jpg (91.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 16-09-21, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
This may show it but the image here is pitifully small...

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk...personnel/1723
Found a LARGE image !

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/f...ember_1939.jpg

Old 16-09-21, 04:29 PM

Finally! Clear to see at last. It looks a little like the one near the top of the post where they are wearing a white strip along the top of the small peak instead of a 'proper' white peak flash. Now, that might be an example of saving material!