British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-11-19, 07:29 PM

Default RFC Officers hat

Hello I wonder if any of you knowledgeable people can help me.
I have had in my possession a RFC officers peaked hat for over 20 years that I purchased from an antiques shop in Shrewsbury,I was assured that it was genuine even though it does not have any provenance or inscriptions inside.
It looks genuine to me(but what do I know)the unusual thing is the maker is
from Bombay!.It is in very good condition with only one small moth hole under
peak and a small hole where the top of the badge has gone into the stitching.Can you give me any advice as to how to tell if it is the real deal because I am thinking of selling at the right price.regards to you all Len.
Old 03-11-19, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Hello LenT62, welcome to the Forum... from a posting point. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 03-11-19, 07:55 PM

A better picture of the badge may be useful, but it looks like the fake badge with the small square that joins the crown and F.
Old 03-11-19, 08:05 PM

Hello Len & welcome to the forum, unfortunately I agree that the cap badge looks to be a fake one for the reason Magpie mentions and I’m not totally up to speed on caps just yet but the cap you show appears a lot later type than that would of been worn by RFC where in existence, if at all, looks more WW11 ??

Gerard
Old 03-11-19, 08:10 PM

I would say, from the photographs, that was certainly not worn by a member of the Royal Flying Corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenT62 View Post
Hello I wonder if any of you knowledgeable people can help me.
I have had in my possession a RFC officers peaked hat for over 20 years that I purchased from an antiques shop in Shrewsbury,I was assured that it was genuine even though it does not have any provenance or inscriptions inside.
It looks genuine to me(but what do I know)the unusual thing is the maker is
from Bombay!.It is in very good condition with only one small moth hole under
peak and a small hole where the top of the badge has gone into the stitching.Can you give me any advice as to how to tell if it is the real deal because I am thinking of selling at the right price.regards to you all Len.