British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-19, 09:49 AM

Default 44th Regiment Glengarry Badge

There are two 44th Regiment Glengarry badges on Ebay at the moment. One is 49+ pounds and the other is 120 pounds. Both state that they are genuine badges. Can anyone point me in the right direction for spotting a fake of this badge - I have heard that it is a very commonly faked badge.
Thanks in advance.
HK Buttonman
Old 14-11-19, 11:02 AM

Default 44th

Hi HK - I used to collect Glengarry badges, I was trying to get an example of each Regt of the line - I sold most of them through Bosleys - so I feel qualified to comment on this. I don't like either of the examples on ebay. The more expensive one is quite crude - being a cast 44 and a die struck Sphinx. The other one is of similar construction and both have copper lugs that are not convincing. I was always more confident about a badge with brass lugs ( there are some genuine badges with copper lugs but - they would be age toned and not with pronounced feet) - There is another type of 44th badge (KK500) - the 44 being within a wreath - which I believe is less copied. My 44th (KK500) sold for £80 in 2011.
Old 14-11-19, 03:39 PM

I saw these as well and fully agree that they are bad. I tend to avoid Glengarry badges all together as the vast majority are likely fake.

CB
Old 15-11-19, 12:44 AM

Thanks guys