British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-12-20, 12:51 PM

Default Royal Artillery, Should I?

Hi All,
If I was to start a small Royal Artillery badge collection, would either, or both, of the two badges shown, be a good start? I've chosen these two because they do both appear to be maker marked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1704.jpg (71.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1705.jpg (62.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1706.jpg (92.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1707.jpg (78.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1708.jpg (76.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1709.jpg (77.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 16-12-20, 12:57 PM

Hi Chris
Both look good Officers Service Dress badges to me

Gerard
Old 16-12-20, 01:58 PM

As said both good badges, but don't lift the blades as in pic 3 to look at the maker mark as you'll find they will snap off or fracture.
Old 16-12-20, 04:28 PM

I would say these are a very good start for some nice quality OSD examples.

CB
Old 19-12-20, 05:03 AM

A good start to your collection! But you’re already lost!....... It will not be a small collection, you’ll keep finding different makers, different crowns, different metals etc, etc. Have a look at some of the albums members here on the forum have and be prepared...... and Welcome to our world of Artillery badge collecting! Regards, D.J.
Old 30-01-21, 11:56 AM

Many thanks for all your thoughts on these two badges, chaps, I did, actually, buy them both, but until today, I had not added anything further. I am still playing around with my Suffolk stuff, and I'm afraid that "gun badges" are still on the back burner. However, my interest free, financial arrangements, with Paypal, require me to spend at least £99, everytime, and so today I have added my first new "gun badge", to make the numbers up.

Hopefully, the attached badge will get the thumbs up, I can only post a front view at the moment, but it has come from, dare I say, an impeccable source. I may have paid, a bit more for it, but, just like the London tramp, who wanted £20 for a cup of tea. I take the view that it's not really my money, anyhow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0978.JPG (58.2 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 04-02-21 at 11:58 AM.
Old 30-01-21, 01:47 PM

It looks good from the front. Regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 04-02-21, 11:33 AM

I have now got my hands on the abovementioned badge, and I can now post a picture of the back as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2126.jpg (52.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2131.jpg (50.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-02-21, 12:40 PM

Its fine, late Volunteer period, c. 1905-08

regards

Old 04-02-21, 02:10 PM

Nice badge. Looks to be a long slider which was in use from 1903 until being replaced by the ‘short’ slider in 1906.
Old 04-02-21, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Nice badge. Looks to be a long slider which was in use from 1903 until being replaced by the ‘short’ slider in 1906.
Luke,

I am not convinced that the RA conformed to the rule of thumb on the loops/long slider/short slider regulations. Have you ever seen a long slider RA cap badge?

I have, but only one out of the thousands that exist and I feel that is probably just a manufacturers variant rather than evidence of the 'long slider' pattern.

I am interested to know if my theory is correct.

regards

Old 04-02-21, 07:36 PM

Many thanks, chaps, these gun badges do appear to be creeping up on me, another one seems to have sneaked through my letterbox today. There is certainly some difference between the sliders on these two, the volunteers slider is 1 3/4" long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2132.jpg (47.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2133.jpg (47.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2134.jpg (34.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-02-21, 12:54 AM

Great stuff thursdaychris! Bet you didn’t believe what I told you on 19th December last!....... really looking forward to seeing what you acquire in the near future. Good Luck. D.J.
Old 05-02-21, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Luke,

I am not convinced that the RA conformed to the rule of thumb on the loops/long slider/short slider regulations. Have you ever seen a long slider RA cap badge?

I have, but only one out of the thousands that exist and I feel that is probably just a manufacturers variant rather than evidence of the 'long slider' pattern.

I am interested to know if my theory is correct.

regards
There are definitely a few regiments which seem to buck the trend and skip the long slider. The RDF for example, I cannot recall ever seeing one with a long slider, plenty with 3 loops and on the later short slider but none on a long type.

Could the ‘standard’ RA examples on long sliders even be a pagri? Recall seeing mention of that somewhere.

Alternatively might it simply be a case of large stocks of the looped badges existing or given the long slider was intended for wear on the Broderick did some of the absentee long slider cohort just avoid wearing this unpopular form of headdress to any great degree and so not need the amended badges for them.

With the Vols Arty you do see a fair number with long sliders. Perhaps the proportion you’d expect once discounting the earlier examples on tangs or loops and later ones with the short slider.

Also if they ignored the SP dates and carried on until 1908-ish making these long slider badges then you perhaps might expect to see some crossover to the earlier TF Arty badges? Can’t say I’ve seen that.

Volunteers often seem to do their own thing any way so ultimately anything is possible I suppose.

Last edited by Luke H; 05-02-21 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-02-21, 02:14 AM

I have touched on this subject before, but I do not subscribe to the long slider=pagri theory in most cases. Various pagri flashes were most commonly worn throughout the army by the early 20th century, and photo evidence of what are often termed pagri badges due to their sliders are in most cases non existant.
There are of course some particular instances wherein this a given as they are known pagri badges, but I think most are just long sliders from an early period. Nothing more.

CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 06-02-21 at 02:24 AM.