British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-10-08, 01:12 PM

Default Unidentified pagri flash & tunic

Dear all,
Some help please in identifying this pagri badge. It came with the tunic (with RA buttons), neither of which are dated but beleived to be Great War. The suggestion was Loyal Suffolk Hussars, but I doubt this for a couple of reasons: the LSH had red & green facings; they were not converted to RA until 1922.

The pagri badge appears to be black laquered cotton, stretched over a thin wood or card backing. two yellow pieces of yellow thread discect it. It is stitched to the pagri by means of each corner.

I have also made the same request upon the Gt War Forum.

Thanks in anticipation
Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0027.JPG (14.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0028.JPG (8.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0030.JPG (13.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0031.JPG (11.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0032.JPG (11.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0033.JPG (11.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-10-08, 01:23 PM

Think you mentioned on the GWF that the mark in the helmet was a letter over WD arrow with a number under it. Not sure if it helps, but during the Great War, the number was over the arrow, the letter under it, usualy P for Head Dress. As with most things, this was only what was 'usual'. Cheers, Paul.
Old 11-10-08, 05:21 PM

Default Unidentified pagri...

Paul,
Thank you. It must be obvious that I know nothing about these items. I can muddle through with most insignia but have never owned something like this before...

The lettering is feint but appears to be 'J' over /I\ over '2'. It has been overstamped 3971. beneath that, in white, is stencilled 'NP'.

My only thought that it was Gt War was the additional 'ticket stub' pocket on the right of the tunic and the pagri flash style. There is one of similar style in the Lincs yeo collection at Lincoln. That one is a red triangle with thread bisecting it vertically, affixed to the front of the pagri.

Regards, Stephen.
Old 11-10-08, 06:20 PM

NP in WO parlance usually means New Pattern. With that in mind I wonder if 3971 is the (new) Pattern number ? though it would usually have a (year) date with it. Next time I'm at TNA I'll have a quick look. Julian