British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-10-08, 10:31 PM

Default Unknown Regimental Flashes

Hi there,

I have a small collection of what I believe are Regimental Flashes, slip on shoulder titles and/or Puggaree badges? (or maybe something else altogether!).

I have attached a couple of scans of part of the collection. Can anybody point me in the direction of a good reference book that I can use to help identify these badges please? ( I have looked at Brian Davis's book as well as Mike Chappell's book on Battle insignia, but it hasn't proved too successful so far).

If anybody actually has any ideas on what the badges are I would be most grateful for any information.

My apologies for the use of camera flash, which has added a lot of glare, but it was the only way I could get the colours to show up well.

The first badge from flashesA01.jpg is actually a white and green felt badge. The flash has masked the white section completely. On the fourth row, the first badge is a slip on shoulder flash(?) which is made of a sort of red tape with a smaller black tape sewed on top.

On the second picture (flashesB01.jpg), on the bottom row, the first item is also a slip on shoulder flash/strip. Coloured tape and cloth to the top with khaki cloth underneath.

Cheers

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flashesA01.jpg (44.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg flashesB01.jpg (51.9 KB, 101 views)
Old 07-10-08, 01:34 AM

Hello Ian, in the first pic, bottom right,you may have an Italian collar device(called mostrina) of the Italian Army (the yellow thingy). Your device is missing a metal star where the hole is.
Cheers
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 07-10-08, 01:37 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Ian, You may find that these are Australian formation patches, at least some are and you can try this site. http: www.defence.gov.au-army-ahu-i...ndex.... You may have to type it in because they don't always want to open for you. Ray
Old 07-10-08, 03:27 AM

None of these are Australian, I'm fairly certain. Jo is right about the'yellow thingy' at the bottom of of the first bunch -- it's the mostrina (collar flash) of the so-called Finance Guards, the Italian customs and border troops. The black and red striped ribbon affair in the row above it is also an Italian mostrina, but I don't have my references to hand and can't tell you which unit. The maroon and yellow diamond might possibly be the flash either of the Middlesex Regt or the Royal Regt of Fusiliers.
Old 07-10-08, 02:08 PM

I would say the yellow/maroon badge in the first lot is a badge backing for the Middlesex Regiment. Directly below this is the wartime flash of 56th (London) Signal Regiment. To the right of this badge is the Royal Green Jackets.

In the second group, the first badge is the Army Physical Training Corps. Blow this is a badge for the Hampshire Regiment.

Last edited by erracht; 07-10-08 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added text
Old 07-10-08, 04:12 PM

When I said they might be Australian I was thinking the Maroon & gold patch in the first picture to be the 8th mobile veterinary section of the Veterinary Corps. Ray
Old 07-10-08, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4966Ian View Post
Hi there,

I have attached a couple of scans of part of the collection. Can anybody point me in the direction of a good reference book that I can use to help identify these badges please? ( I have looked at Brian Davis's book as well as Mike Chappell's book on Battle insignia, but it hasn't proved too successful so far).

Cheers

Ian
Numbering each badge would help.
Old 08-10-08, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
When I said they might be Australian I was thinking the Maroon & gold patch in the first picture to be the 8th mobile veterinary section of the Veterinary Corps. Ray
To be honest I've never heard of an Australian unit with that designation. Which period are you thinking of? Either way, the patch in question is not Australian.
Old 08-10-08, 02:10 AM

hi all
agree with lettman
none of these are australian but could be NZ canadian or even south african
bc
Old 08-10-08, 06:01 AM

I have a feeling the bottom right on the right picture is a piece of HAC ribbon. As used on a panama hat or similar, it has a definite similartity to their tie.
Old 08-10-08, 10:22 AM

Hi folks,

Can I start by thanking you all for your interest and help. I really do appreciate your help in identifying these.

Is there a book anyone can recommend that might help me in identifying these further?

I have added numbers to the pictures so as to help with the identification process.

This is what I have learnt so far:
Picture 1
1. White & Green felt diamond : ?
2. Yellow/Gold & Maroon felt diamond : Middlesex Regt shoulder flash
3. Blue cloth triangle sewn onto khaki cloth backing: ?
4. Blue felt square with red felt triangle affixed to it : ?
5. Pink felt and blue embroidered diamond with red embroidered axe : WW2 shoulder flash for 56th (London) Signal Regt.
6. Green/Maroon/Black felt: Royal Green Jackets Shoulder Flash
7. Navy blue diamond with dark green top edging : ?
8. Green felt rectangle with a navy blue rectangle on that with a red stripe across both: ?
9. Navy blue felt triangle with a smaller red felt triangle sewn on it : ?
10. Slip-on shoulder flash. Red cotton tape with a smaller black tape sewn on top : ?
11. Red/Black felt : ?
12. Green/Yellow silk : ?
13. Green felt with a yellow cloth attachment : Italian Collar device (called “Mostrina”) of the Finance Guards (Italian Customs & Border Troops). Missing a metal star where the hole is.

Picture 2
14. Black felt square with 4 thin red felt stripes : Army Physical training Corps (shoulder flash)
15. Black/Maroon felt rectangles : ?
16. Orange/Black felt : Hampshire Regt & Royal Hampshire Regt (shoulder flash)
17. Navy blue felt with red embroidery : ?
18. Light khkai cloth with a white tape cross sewn on it: ?
19. Green/White/Green felt : ?
20. Light blue/Navy Blue/Light blue felt diamond : ?
21. A slip on shoulder flash. Dark green tape and light blue cloth sewn together with an orange stripe sewn on : ?
22. Green/white/Navy Blue ribbon: ?
23. Navy blue ribbon with red vertical stripe and red zig-zag : Honourable Artillery Company (HAC).

Cheers

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flashesA02.jpg (45.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg flashesB02.jpg (53.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-10-08, 03:03 PM

Hi Lettman
I found it on the Australian Defence Gov. site. but after clicking on the patch a little window came up that says by the authority of the AIF & NZ MTR. Div.RO 1.18.10 1916, So it's possible that it could be New Zealand & looks like WW1 if 1916 means the year. Ray
Old 09-10-08, 09:28 PM

Default Regimental flashes

If you can get hold of vols 1 & 2 by Waring I think you might be enlightened. Vol 2 describes many of the WW1 cloth flashes.
Regards, Stephen.
Old 11-10-08, 11:45 AM

Default Regimental flashes

I have been rummaging through various badges & books and have a few more suggestions for you.
3- possibly Northants ACF.
4- similar to the 'Brandywine' TRF worn by the Gloucs, berks & Wilts briefly. I've only ever seen it as an embroidered badge.
6- 11 Bn Royal Fusiliers WW2. Worn whilst in 34 Bde, 18 Div. I have two of these labelled from WW2 in my collection.
14- If rotated 90' so lines run veritcally this badge matches the TRf of the APTC- was it a pagri flash?
15-the colours are possibly those of the Royal Warwicks. In their museum is a jungle green hat from the Malaya conflict with a small felt flash on the left side which is purple/orange. The purples often faded to blue.
17- similar to the DZ patches worn by the Indep RE units atteched to 16 Airborne Div.
21- Royal Signals or Intelligence Corps?

Regards. Steve.
Old 12-10-08, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
Hi Lettman
I found it on the Australian Defence Gov. site. but after clicking on the patch a little window came up that says by the authority of the AIF & NZ MTR. Div.RO 1.18.10 1916, So it's possible that it could be New Zealand & looks like WW1 if 1916 means the year. Ray
Ah, thanks, Ray -- I now realise what you mean. The unit you're referring to is exactly as you named it -- my apologies! I'd never realised that WW1 Light Horse veterinary units were called Mobile etc -- it's sounds so American! As for the patch: you are right about the colours (gold and maroon), but it's the wrong shape and material. The LH vet units had rectangles, and the material was lighweight broadcloth (never made of felt).