British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-11-13, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Mike, quick question, if it was a tracer round would the base of the projectile be hollowed out to accommodate the tracer?
Yes it would

Re the 36M Grenade, the base plate is for a Grenade Discharger Cup, fired from a .303 Rifle with a Blasistite Cartridge.

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 12-11-13 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-11-13, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Pretty impressive.

BTW the projectile that I have will be disposed of with the relevant military authorities today.

Thanks for the most informative advice received from a qualified forum member this morning.

Regards

Chris
Hi Chris

Please keep us all informed as to whether it was safe or not, we are all here to learn after all.

Rob
Old 13-11-13, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Hi Chris

Please keep us all informed as to whether it was safe or not, we are all here to learn after all.

Rob
Hi Rob,

A very interesting half hour. I drove over to the Trentham military camp which is on the other side of the hill from me in being located in Upper Hutt. Arrived at the Guard Room. Guy there seemed very interested and sent me off, with an vehicle pass, to the 1st New Zealand Explosive Ordnance Disposal Squadron's location. Arrived there and reported to reception. Signed in and taken to an administration area where the projectile was examined by three members of the Squadron who confirmed Mike's evaluation that it was a training round without incendiary components thus 'Free From Explosives'.

They asked if it was OK to engrave the base of the projectile with 'FFE' to confirm their findings for possible future evaluation and I had no objections. See piccy.

I came away quite impressed with how slick and easy it was to check out a piece of ordnance.

On different note - I noticed the beret that they were wearing. It was fawn in colour like the SAS item and also came with a cloth badge. Design was of a Fairburn Sykes knife with flanking Maori designs that I, unfortunately, did not recognize. Not my area of interest but may be of use to someone on the forum.

Regards

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20mm Projectile C.jpg (65.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 13-11-13, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
Yes it would

Re the 36M Grenade, the base plate is for a Grenade Discharger Cup, fired from a .303 Rifle with a Blasistite Cartridge.

Hi Mike,

One of these Grenade Discharger Cups, in excellent condition, sold at one of the local militaria auctions recently for around 250GBP. I had a handled it and seriously thought about buying it.

Regards

Chris
Old 13-11-13, 08:30 AM

Hi Chris

Thanks for the update, and I apologise for giving you bad advice in my original post.

Rob
Old 13-11-13, 08:44 AM

Quote:
the 1st New Zealand Explosive Ordnance Disposal Squadron's location.
By all acounts the above unit is manned by E (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) Squadron of the NZ SAS

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 13-11-13 at 08:49 AM.