British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-08, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default What have we here? No 2

This photo comes from the Faces of War Archiva on line research tool. The LAC (Library and Archives Canada) caption reads:
Personnel of the Canadian Army Film and Photo Unit who shot the film about the production of the United Kingdom edition of the Maple Leaf newspaper, London, England, 7 June 1945. (L-R): Private E.W. Pritchard, Captain W.J. Hynes, Bombardier B.O. Gordon, Private J.F. McIsaacs Robinson, Harold D., Photographer

Mikan Number: 3201624

There are a couple of very interesting insignia and insignia practices in this image.

Old 13-03-08, 11:13 PM

Smile bgpipes

They are wearing "Canadian Film and Photo Unit" titles and also CMHQ patches. Very rare titles I might add.
Old 13-03-08, 11:17 PM

Red face bgpipes

Oh! One is wearing a USA tab, could he be a yank,assigned to the unit?
Old 13-03-08, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default Usa

Bill, look at the shoulder of the soldier closest to the camera. He was discussed on the Canuck forum, and this information was posted. (See string about this image. Ken Joyce provided this info.)

RG 24 Vol. 12333, File 4/Film/17/2

Regarding G. 50008 Pte ( Later S/Sgt.) Jack F. McIsaac RCASC/Canadian Film and Photo Unit. American who joined Canadian Army in Canada.

5 November 1944

Work submitted by McIsaacs well done and shows good possibilities for training as cameraman if personality and physical factors are satisfactory.

Men should not be posted to sergeant cameraman vacancies until they are qualified by standards used throughout film unit namely graduation from camera course and on grade B trades test. This is standard procedure. Recent example Pte. White now on course. If you advise McIsaacs can be SOS to CGRU and attached here for training.

Col. Sparling.

11 December 1944

There is constant correspondence regarding limited supply of new recruits in PRG for serivce with photographic sections. At this time they are short of cameramen. They state that "many are taken on direct arrival from Canada".

January 1945 - Receipt is acknowledged of "Film and Photo Sections ID card" A/Cpl. J. McIsaac G 50008

3 February 1945 - McIsaac J. held on strength of No. 1 CGRU pending attachment to 1PRG (A) for training and experience.

Army Film & Photo Center. Course No. 16, Pte. McIsaac J. RCASC - Has worked very hard and is deservedly top of a good class. He has initiative and a quick mind and should make a first class combat cameraman. Very good personality for this type of job. ( however obviously not very good at deportment )

Result of trade test published 25/5/45 - 90 out of 100.

30 May 1945 - The m/n personnel are presently carried on strength of units as shown and attached therefore to 1PRG (A). May they now cease attachment and be posted to 1PRGP (A) 25 May 1945 covering vacancies of photographers ( cinematography). McIsaac is on this list.

6 June 1945 - Photograph in question taken while working on Maple Leaf Project.

6 July 1945 - Volunteered for CFEF. Listed as "Cameraman".

25 March 1946 - S/Sgt. J .F . McIsaac G 50008 operating as "Cameraman" with 3rd Cdn Inf Div CAOF.

The Film & Photo titles are scarce, but the use of the USA patch is fascinating. Establishing the use of this patch would answer a lot of questions.
Old 14-03-08, 12:02 AM

Red face bgpipes

I saw that article in the "Canadiansoldiers" forum, I didnt let it sink in too far,did I?.....I was also fascinated by the story of the 5 American born men who joined the CEF in WW1 and won the VC. One was a doctor from Illinois,not far from where I live. I did up a museum display about these men, and placed it in the Museum of Military History in Michigan City, Indiana.