British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-05-19, 09:47 AM

Default Intriguing find on beach: glengarry badge of the 92nd

Hello forum, this time yesterday I knew absolutely nothing about military badges! We live in the North East and yesterday afternoon we were walking on Blast Beach near Seaham. This is no ordinary beach having suffered from pollution and dumping of waste during the coal mining era. But it is now in recovery and the stretch of coast is known as the Durham Heritage Coast with parts owned by the National Trust. The beach was also used as a dump during earlier periods and we have spoken to another walker who has found glass eyes amongst many other objects of interest!

It was high tide as we walked yesterday and we paused to look out to sea and an item at the water's edge caught my eye ... it is what I now know, after lots of internet searching, to be a glengarry badge of the 92nd. Whether it's fake or genuine doesn't detract from this wonderful find. How long has it been in the sea? How did it get there in the first place? You can see that it has a smoothed look about it and has lost some of the details that I've seen on similar badges e.g. the vertical lines behind 'EGYPT'. This could be because it has been in the sea for years. However, it doesn't have the gap where the wreath meets at the top - which makes me strongly suspect that it's a poorly moulded imitation. It is a dull, pale silvery colour and very lightweight. On the reverse it does have a copper coloured pin head which may indicate something.

Whatever it is - 'real' or fake - I will add this to my collection and treasure it!
But I would love to hear any thoughts from some of you experts on the forum. Thank you in advance!

Attached - photos of front and back of the badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badge-front.jpg (109.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg badge-back.jpg (95.7 KB, 89 views)
Old 17-05-19, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Hello beachcomber, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts. Members will be able to assist with your queries.