British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-02-19, 06:59 PM

Default SAS beret badge, WWII vintage?

I'd like to ask the Forum's advice on this SAS beret badge, the first one I've purchased in this minefield of variants. I believe it to be a WW2, 1944 style badge, in superb, unissued condition. To my uneducated eye, the threads look correct in size, colour and direction of weave. I have a couple of concerns however. One is the background "felt" which while soft, has no underlying grid which I see in many early badges and second, is that the white thread of the sword glows quite brightly under UV but the rest of he material is dull. As an aircrew wing collector, this is usually a sign that the thread is of post-war manufacture. The badge overall is quite stiff.

Overall, the badge is 60 mm in height with the stitched areas 46mm high and it weighs 1.3 gm.

Is it a true, vintage "keeper" or should I return it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and any details about what specific aspects to check for in future on this or other badges of the WWII era. I've spent hours reading previous posts on these badges but I think it boils down to experience and "hand" feel in some cases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAS beret badge BBF.jpg (70.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg SAS back BBF.jpg (73.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg SAS beret badge close-up BBF.jpg (83.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg UV BBF.jpg (44.5 KB, 71 views)
Old 12-02-19, 07:34 PM
Geoff Marsden

Good evening

I’m a relatively new collector but have been told not to worry about cloth badges glowing under UV light as if the badge has come into contact with something more modern this might cause it to glow

The paper back is a good sign. It looks fine for a 1944 pattern but I’m not an expert

Regards
Geoff
Old 13-02-19, 02:20 PM

Hard to give a definitive answer not having it in the flesh but I agree this looks like a late war badge the dull black paper backing is a good sign. If it really glows under UV light alarm bells should start ringing. Cheers JB
Old 15-02-19, 09:56 PM

Thanks Geoff & JB.
Perhaps you might know how long this pattern lasted before the next design came in? I think I read it was used up until ~1960? Is it possible then, that while it is called a late war pattern, it could have been manufactured by the same machines and design pattern into the late 50's, perhaps as original stock threads were used up, with materials (synthetics) replacing those initially used during the war?
Old 16-02-19, 09:43 AM
Geoff Marsden

Morning

It’s very hard to say as we had synthetic thread in this country before we had rationing in WW2
Personally I don’t think you have anything to worry about if the badge glows. Although I don’t believe synthetic material was used in the badge you have shown tbere are many reasons why it might glow
From what I have heard other collectors say the idea of a badge being wrong if it glows under UV light is a little outdated

Regards
Geoff
Old 16-02-19, 11:07 AM

I think the white here may just look clear white as it is a mint example glowing under UV light gives I think a different effect even fluerescent/blueish. The badge looks fine from the pic. Cheers JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgon View Post
Thanks Geoff & JB.
Perhaps you might know how long this pattern lasted before the next design came in? I think I read it wyas used up until ~1960? Is it possible then, that while it is called a late war pattern, it could have been manufactured by the same machines and design pattern into the late 50's, perhaps as original stock threads were used up, with materials (synthetics) replacing those initially used during the war?

Last edited by HamandJam; 16-02-19 at 11:17 AM.

Tags
backing fabric, sas badge, uv glow, wwii