British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-12, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

Hi SAS1. Thanks for the clarification. Yes the term wedge is commonly used to describe the FSC. I just wasn't sure of the intention in that quote that you had posted.
I am not sure of the relevance of the headdress? If the fellow was attached to the army, he would, as Ed said, be issued army kit, which includes headdress.
Old 19-01-15, 12:40 AM

You're all wrong.

The fellow conversing with the gal is either a rigger or fitter (RCAF) in either 664, 665 or 666 Air Observation Post Squadron, RCAF, who has also been trained in "Squadron Lines" as an AOP observer.

"Half" AOP wings were created by the AOP observers and sanctioned by the C.O. of each Canadian AOP squadron (in every case, a Major from the RCA, who was also senior pilot for the squadron).

The "army formation" badge above the LAC prop is AGRA (Artillery). RCAF HQ in London had to sanction RCAF groundcrew serving in AOP squadrons to wear Battledress; many of the fellows also wore berets.

In my book, "Artillery Flyers At War" (page 398), I published a photo of LAC Ernie Little of 664 AOP Squadron, RCAF, wearing a beret with his RCAF Cap badge, leaning on an Auster V aircraft. Also refer to page 410, same publication, of photo of LAC Hal Ulmer, of 665 AOP Squadron, RCAF, wearing near-identical insignia to the fellow in this photo.

The old army saw, "Pay Attention to Detail," is also evident here: note the fellow sitting on the steps in the background with a beret and Artillery Cap badge. AOP squadron lines were almost the only places where RCA and RCAF O.R.s congregated as pals.