British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-06-08, 08:07 AM

Default A 1920's Royal Artillery uniform

The subject of the attached photograph joined the Royal Artillery in 1916 or 1917. In 1917 he transferred to The Tank Corps, and at the end of WW1 returned to regular service in the Royal Artilery.

I believe the photograph was taken in Egypt in the 1920's, and it looks to me like a Khaki Drill uniform, but can anybody please tell me why a Bombadier is wearing something similar to a Sam Browne belt.

I thought the bulk of the Tank Corps were drawn from the Royal Engineers. It surprised me that an Artillery man went over to tanks, then back again. Perhaps as a gunnery instructor? I know he did not enter theatre during WW1. (No Medal Index Card)

This was an uncle of mine, whose history I am slowly putting together, and have spent years trying to find his regimental number.

I hope he isn't just 'walting it up' for the camera with that belt.

Regards,

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.jpg (7.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 16-06-08, 02:59 PM

I've seen photos of warrant officers wearing Sam Browne belts. Can't make out a rank from your photo but is it a possibility?
Old 16-06-08, 03:04 PM

Default Royal Artillery Uniform

Sorry, it is a poor photo I downloded. His rank is definitely full Bombadier, which makes it so strange - a Sam Browne (or perhaps a cheaper edition thereof) being worn by a NCO.

Regards,
John
Old 16-06-08, 03:16 PM

I am trying for a better photograph.

John

Edited to add: Sorry, a bit bigger but not much better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.jpg (12.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 16-06-08, 04:03 PM
David Douglas

Default A 1920s R.A. uniform

JohnG - 3 things strike me about this photograph - Firstly, the shape of the cap badge does not look like a gun, which would be wide and squat but it could be a Tank Corps badge which would be higher and narrow. Secondly, the flap pockets of this chap's tunic look distinctly officers' (or senior nco's) pattern for mid-late WW1 and, finally, he has a chinstrap to his cap which looks more substantial than an o/r pattern, again suggesting senior nco. Also I believe you are wrong about recruits (or transfers) to the Tank Corps. Gunnery skills were prized in the Corps and it would be easy to imagine an ex-gunner achieving senior nco status. Happy researching. David
Old 16-06-08, 04:39 PM

Default 1920 R.A. uniform

Thanks for the reply David, and I agree with much of what you say. This bloke has me really puzzled.

Many years ago I saw a photo of him with his three brothers in WW1. I am sure he was in the uniform of the Royal Artillery.

Then another photo turned up, which is in my possession, as a Private in the Tank Corps. Then another as a Lance Corporal. This was followed by one of him as a Lance Bombadier, back in the Royal Artillery, and finally the photo depicted here came into my possession a few weeks ago. Sadly, I have been unable to attach a good reproduction of it, but he has two stripes of a Bombadier and wearing a Royal Artillery badge.

He sure has got me guessing over that uniform, which as you rightly say has pouch pockets, but is fastened at the neck, so rule out officer patternn. Note also the boots, spurs, and puttees.

Then the Sam Browne belt.

If it was not for the fact I know he was a regular soldier I would wonder if he had borrowed the kit in the studio........perhaps he did.

John
Old 16-06-08, 05:25 PM

A better and larger image is needed. There are reasons for the belt and brace but I would like to see a bigger image before I explain.
Old 16-06-08, 06:19 PM

Default 1920's uniform (Tanks or RA?)

I have had another look at the photo's I have. I can't seem to get good copies for attachment, but have added two more and now I wonder if I had been told about them in the wrong order, for as above posting suggests, that does look more like a tank badge than an artillery one in the photo we have been looking at, and I am no longer sure about Bombadier's stripes.

It looks like a khaki drill bush jacket to me.

In the two photo's I have added there is one of him with his three brothers (one of them my father), in which he is in Tank Corps uniform, and in another photo he is a Lance Bombadier.

I am now wondering if my information ablout him is incorrect, and if he was a L/bdr in the Artillery before going over to tanks, and commissioned whilst still in the tanks, and I was wrongly informed he went back to the Artillery after the war.

I have the records of three of the brothers, but for many years had been able to add bits very slowly about the subject. Sadly I cannot get hold of his service number.

Yes, it could well be a Tank Corps cap badge, and has he perhaps been commissioned? If this photo indicates he has been commissioned then for years I have been lookng in the wrong place for information about him'

Thanks for all your help.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.jpg (9.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Four brothers with their mother.jpg (49.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg C.G.1.jpg (7.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 16-06-08, 06:22 PM

Default 1920 uniform. Tanks or RA?

Oops, one of them did not get attached. Try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.jpg (32.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 16-06-08, 07:02 PM

Although the image is still not good very good, the badge blob does not look like an RA one, it could also be that there is cuff rank on the sleeves, again this needs to be checked on the original picture.
Old 16-06-08, 07:29 PM

Default 1920 uniform

I think you got it 54 Bty. A Warrant Officer in the tanks. It now hangs together.

Many thanks to all who have helped solve this one for me. Bit by bit over the years I am getting his story.

Regards,

John
Old 16-06-08, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Not only is he wearing a Sam browne but I suspect that he has pair of officers gloves in his hand.

Alan
Old 16-06-08, 09:41 PM

That looks to be an Officers' pattern foul weather cap he's wearing as well, i.e the Officers' version of the 'gor blimey' cap.
Regards,
Kevin