British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 29-03-14, 10:47 AM

Default Falklands hero - Stewart McLaughlin petition for outstanding gallantry and leadership

Please sign petition to request formal recognition for Stewart McLaughlin for outstanding gallantry and leadership in the Falklands war.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/60561
Old 29-03-14, 03:00 PM

I am sorry if this causes offence but I firmly believe that retrospective awards are just plain wrong. There was ample opportunity at the time for this recommendation to be made and the awards process is exhaustive and thorough. I do not believe the story that the hand written citation was simply lost.

We should not be second guessing the process at the time.

Eddie
Old 29-03-14, 03:06 PM

Thank you Eddie for putting into print what I was uncomfortable in feeling. I want to support a good cause, but not knowing the history and having, perhaps misguided faith in the system, I did not put my name down.

Regards,

John
Old 29-03-14, 03:28 PM

I have to agree with Johng and Eddie on this. I am very much opposed to this retrospective action as there are many, probably thousands of cases ,where an award would seem appropriate but there are also many cases where gallantry was not seen. I think the rules applied to British awards are one of the reasons that those awards are valued so highly.
Old 29-03-14, 04:16 PM

The petition appears to have been created by the individual seeking recognition. That in itself rings an alarm bell with me. I agree with what has already been said.

Whilst on the subject of medals and awards, I fully support the concept that creditable conduct should be suitably recognised but as someone who has no connection with the armed forces it has always been slightly bemusing to me to see just how many individuals in this Country who receive awards simply for doing their job and I'm not talking about long service medals and similar. IMO, long service medals aside, the only other awards which should be made to the armed services and the emergency services etc. are those given for gallant/brave conduct. For example, I can tell you that 99.9% of Chief Constables in the UK receive a Queen's Police Medal simply for being Chief Constable. Occasionally, the odd one who blots his copybook is pointedly ignored. A quota of Knighthoods is also dolled out to them. Of course business/industry are also given their share. I know that his also applies to the military. Goodness knows why, custom and practice I suppose.

Dave Wilkinson
Old 29-03-14, 04:59 PM

Hi Dave

Since he was KIA I don't think it's him - although I did at first. It's more likely his son. And since the poster didn't mention the controversy surrounding this suggestion I suggest anyone interested should Google him and read some of the less obvious links.

Eddie
Old 29-03-14, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
Hi Dave

Since he was KIA I don't think it's him - although I did at first. It's more likely his son. And since the poster didn't mention the controversy surrounding this suggestion I suggest anyone interested should Google him and read some of the less obvious links.

Eddie
Quite disturbing in some areas. Undisturbed sleeping dogs would in my view be more appropriate than this particular e-petition. Mike
Old 29-03-14, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Hi Dave

Eddie
Eddie,

Thank you for pointing that out. I agree, it appears to be his son. That said, there will be others who will come to the same conclusion as I did. A none family member raising the petition would have been a better option. Reading some of the background it seems that the omission was caused by the apparent (according to the son) loss of the file of evidence touching upon his father's gallantry. This seems unlikely and if it had gone adrift I'm sure this would have been very evident at the time and appropriate action would have been taken.

Dave.
Old 29-03-14, 06:34 PM

Hi Dave

Read some more, there's much more than that to it!
Old 29-03-14, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

If you read the book 'Green Eyed boys' then it put forward an opinion why no award was made in 1982.
Old 29-03-14, 11:22 PM

After some consideration I feel I cannot support this petition.

If a 'error' in the "apparent (according to the son) loss of the file of evidence touching upon his father's gallantry" then it should have been staffed by HQ 2 Para at the time, who should have copies, which it seems was not.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 30-03-14, 03:58 AM
Banned

If you want to know what's wrong with retrospective awards then look no further than Australia.
The Rudd Labor government created a tribunal in 2008 just for this purpose.
This has had the tribunal looking at probable awarding of VC's for the RAN as far back as WWII and even a proposed VC for an action in WWI — how unbelievably absurd!

http://defence-honours-tribunal.gov.au/

Retrospective awards have been made to vets of the Vietnam War who were then under the Imperial system but because Australia now has it's own system of awards, these people have been awarded medals that never existed at the time of the actions they have been awarded for!

In my opinion any retrospective awarding of gallantry or bravery medals will only devalue previous awards because it puts into question every single award ever made to every man and woman in the past.
I disagree with retrospective awards in any country.
Old 30-03-14, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
After some consideration I feel I cannot support this petition.
Ear ear.
Old 30-03-14, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Hi Dave

Read some more, there's much more than that to it!
Thanks again Eddie. Obviously more to this than meets the eye!

Dave.
Old 30-03-14, 04:08 PM

I can't support this either for the same reasons as those given above. This is the tip of an iceberg as far as I'm concerned and if they didn't give a retrospective VC to Blair Mayne then nobody deserves a retrospective award. Give one and there'll be equally deserving petitions started up all over the country.

It sounds harsh but that's how it is.