British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-07-11, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
No one's really answered my question why we have a larger army then Germany, who's economy is 30% larger. Even parity with them is economic suicide in some respects. If you can't afford it, you can;'t have it.; this works all over the place -look at the US right now. Wanting all the goodies, but everyone think's their next door neighbor should pay for it, and not them. I mean if you ant to keep the free National Health, something has to be cut to keep it.

Simon.
Well this has gone rather off topic but I suspect there are many reasons why we have a larger army than germany, some could be that until renunification they were restricted to an army with no overseas commitment, they have large military prescence's of british and american troops and no real concerns about home defence. They also have no former empire or commonwealth (as we took it all off them!) to whom they have any defence treaty's with! Military service, largely due to national service (which I beleive has ended now?) was always unpopular amongst germans and also the fact that germany is far more self sufficient in raw materials and has little need to secure imports from nations it needs to remain western friendly! Just a few reasons, I'm sure there are many more!

Regards Tony
Old 28-07-11, 08:40 PM

I don't think it's off topic at all Tony, it in my opinion put's into perspective the cut's in the military; but nah, sorry, Germany isn't self sufficient in raw materials as you think. In fact the UK had in the form of oil, coal, natural gas etc etc; more or equal. In the gas and oil 100% more. Germany rely's now on the ex Soviet Union for pretty much all of it' natural gas and oil. Hence the reason why they don't want to get involved in Iraq, they don't need that oil. Don't know of any defense treaty obligations either with Iraq or in Afghanistan for the Brit's.
On the raw materials for Britain, if we actually made anything I agree we need those imports. But the day's are long gone for the need of raw cotton, iron ore, timber, rubber, etc etc. They are all going to China as that's where it's all made. When manufacturing come's back, you can go buy a bigger army.
Don't get me wrong, it is very upsetting with the setting of the sun on the Empire, and you couldn't get more British than myself and spend many hours defending the UK all over the US since being here for 15 years. But I do get tired of us as always fighting our buddies battles in Europe for these precious raw materials. It is sad to see those regiments with such long histories go, but let others get their regiments some battle honors; our's have enough.

When the Brit's come to terms with the diminishing presence in the world and go back to making money as we did at the beginning of the Empire with innovation (when our standing armies were always the smallest), will be our best avenue to go.

No offense is meant, and just my opinion.

Regards
Simon.
Old 28-07-11, 08:43 PM

I suppose it could be worse, they may have considered looking to reduce the Royal Anglian's
Old 28-07-11, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
But Coldstream is still in Scotland David
I too stand corrected, thank you David.
Old 29-07-11, 12:45 AM

Default Ravens next

I reckon the ravens at H.M.Tower of London will be next.

Just think of all that expensive bird food they consume and all they do is crap all over the place.

I'm sure some fat B****** in the city across the road from the "Tower" can find a pot to put them in........or are all the pots full already ?
Old 29-07-11, 01:35 AM

Have been following this discussion with interest, and have to agree with Simon wholeheartedly. It's a question of sad reality, and economics

We spend in GDP terms more than everyone except America, Russia, Saudi and are equal with South Korea. Something has to give. Whether we like it or not, we are minuscule in the scheme of things, but remain the number 3 spender in the world!

What the Americans spend is simply mind boggling. 700 billion last year, and nearly 5% of GDP. They just about spend more than the top 20 countries combined, including China. That's another story...... but let them police the world if they are happy with doing so.

Why don't we concentrate on making weapons instead Just my opinion.
Cheers, Neil
Old 29-07-11, 03:03 AM

Thanks Neil. I'll end my post's on this reduction in forces and our presence in the world by asking to view the video shown. I think it sum's up somewhat the waste of not just the treasure, but the blood that has throughout our long and glorious history accompanied it in many a foreign field. At last count the war graves commission care for 1,599,630 graves of British and Commonwealth Service men and women.

I think it say's it all. It's time to stay home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtl5k...&feature=email

Regards
Simon
Old 29-07-11, 08:54 AM

By God Simon, that particular clip should be compulsory viewing for all the fiddling, meddling, mendacious politicians who still can't comprehend that loyalty must flow both ways.

Ritchie.
Old 29-07-11, 09:25 AM
Banned

A stirring video ! At the end of the day, the issue isn't one of governments, regiments, generals or theatres of war - it is about the price paid by individuals in the service of their country. I for one am proud of being a citizen of a country that refuses to forget those who lost and continue to lose their lives in military conflicts, irrespective of the regiment/corps in which they served. Regiments come and go but the memory of these people lives for ever. Thank you for posting the video. David
Old 29-07-11, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
I can see why someone would say 2 English 1 Scots, 1 Irish & 1 Welsh means that if we have to cut lets get rid of one of the English ones.
Just my tuppence worth.

Firstly The descendants of Monks Regiment of Coldstream Foot Guards are not English. Coldstream is in Scotland. Where the old HQ is and the Coldstreamer's come every year to take part in the Coldstream Civic Week / Riding of the boundries and Flodden Memorial ceremony.

Oh and the town is full of ex coldstreamer's and the Area is still a recruiting area. With a large contingent of Locals in the ranks.

It would still mean one of the 2 Scottish Guards being disbanded, but the Scots Guards are younger, they should go.

Secondly the Royal Scots where disbanded without issue. That was the oldest Regiment in the Army. I don't think the Condem pact gives a hoot for history.

Last edited by tynesideirish; 29-07-11 at 03:13 PM. Reason: More blah.
Old 29-07-11, 03:20 PM

Thanks Ritchie/David, yes a very poignant video. I can't say it was a pleasure to post it. I can only imagine in some way's similar one's could have been done for the Somme, Dieppe, Gallipoli, and so on. All glorious defeats.
I do believe it is time for the sun to finally set on our empire, defense treaties or not. When the rest contribute equally then organization's like NATO are worth being members of.

Over here in the US I hear all the time that a large army keeps them feared and handing them their head back, to all who step on their toes. That's all well and good, if your not at personal risk, in meeting out that fury.
I will always agree to field forces in the defense of the realm, but not for the gains of others who enjoy the freedom's it gains.

I don't have an issue defending our shores, I'm no pacifist. Concentrate on getting the homeland healthy again, economically and socially and then buy that big stick again when we need it. As long as we keep a strong and professional cadre of a force, well equipped and trained; I think we'll be alright. Regiments have been raised and re-raised for centuries.

Regards
Simon.
Old 29-07-11, 04:04 PM

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

Don
Old 29-07-11, 09:35 PM
Banned

We have been reading the news over here in the UK about the US national debt in the trillions of dollars with President Obama struggling to find ways of reducing it. Inevitably, the question of defence spending raises its head but for the US that doesn't seem to be an option on Capitol Hill ! The UK may be a smaller nation with a smaller armed forces but our government never fails to include defence spending in its cuts. I believe there is a fundemental difference in the psyche of US and UK citizens on the issue of defence spending, especially as 'defence' usually means 'offence'. We deploy very few service men and women in homeland defence but we never fail to send them to far-away places. David

Last edited by CftD; 30-07-11 at 07:46 AM.
Old 29-07-11, 10:27 PM

The children in that video have a lot to be proud of. Its a terrible shame that they will never know the parent they have lost. In a way though, at least a bit of the soldier lives on in them, and maybe they will grow up to have the same admirable qualities.

Phil
Old 30-07-11, 07:00 PM

Governments never learn. Costly wars / conflicts / Postings that go on and on, Northern Ireland, Cyprus, B.A.O.R, Iraq. Afghanistan... Then CUTS on an already over stretched Services.

Remember back in 82? Due to the Tories, No Parachute Brigade, a token Airborne force (6 Field Force), A Navy which was due to be decimated, including all the Aircraft Carriers. An Armoured heavy B.A.O.R.

If the Junta had waited a further 9 months Britain could not have retaken the Falkland Islands.

If I was Argentina I would wait another 9 months then march back unopposed into the Malvinas...

Then If I was Iran I'd kick off. The World is bankrupt. WW3 is long overdue...