British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-05-15, 10:59 AM

Question 1 V Gordon and 1 V Dumbarton shoulder titles

Hi all,

A couple of WM shoulder titles I had not seen before. 1 V Gordon (WM lugs) and 1 V Dumbarton. V over Gordon shoulder titles are noted in Westlake's book 1379 as a two piece title for volunteers of the Great War period. I presume this is from 1884-1908 for 1st VB The Gordon Highlanders.

The Dumbarton title has copper lugs and I have been puzzled with this one. Churchill in his collar badge book has the 1st Dumbartonshire RVC becoming the 6th VB Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's). So I am struggling with the I over V for Dumbartonshire.

Westlake has a note in Supplement 1 under the volunteer battalions of the A&SH pre-1908 that the Dumbartonshire RVC 1887-1908 wore DRV in wm letters one inch high.

Guidance appreciated, cheers Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7152.jpg (61.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7153.jpg (64.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7217.jpg (68.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7218.jpg (71.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 23-05-15, 02:54 PM

Hi Dean

I would guess the Gordons is the pre 1908 lst VB as you suggest, rather than WW1 but I'm not 100% sure.

Dumbarton is a bit more complicated. In 1860 the various local RVC's in Dumbartonshire were grouped together as 1st Admin Bn, Dumbartonshire RVC. In 1880 they were formerly consolidated as the 1st Dumbartonshire RVC. In 1881 they were nominated as a Volunteer Battalion of the A&SH and sometime after that they were designated as the 6th VB, A & SH. So far, so good.

However, in 1891 (for some reason I haven't been able to establish) they dropped the VB title/status altogether and became the lst Dumbarton Volunteer Rifle Corps (note now VRC, rather than the previous RVC). They retained this title until 1908 when they became 9/A & SH.

So, I think your title represents lst Dumbarton Volunteer (Rifle Corps) pre 1908. The one thing I can't explain is the reference in Westlake but perhaps they changed titles at some time.

Hopefully, I've got the above correct but feel free to put me right anyone if I haven't.

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 23-05-15 at 03:21 PM.
Old 24-05-15, 10:15 AM

Many thanks David for a very informative reply. All makes perfect sense. Te VB badges are very poorly documented in sources that one can readily access IMO, cheers Dean.

Tags
dumbartonshire, gordon