British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-12-19, 09:13 PM

Default CAF small button by Hemsley for Wedge cap

The Hemsley-made buttons for the CAF (circa 1920) are quite rare. In an earlier post I reported on a mid-size CAF button made by Hemsley. That thread is perhaps incorrectly located in British Military; Military Buttons:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=66640

I’ve recently discovered another manufactured by Hemsley, this one is the smallest size, for the Field Service (Side or Wedge) cap. It is observed that the Hemsley-made variant is slightly larger and heavier than the more "commonly" found Field cap buttons. The Hemsley illustrated below weights about 2.45 g and is 0.051” (13 mm) in diameter. My other small-sized, Field cap buttons, including the 1967 reproductions, measure about 0.45” or 11.5mm. The others, assumed to be manufactured by Scully, are all unmarked on the back, probably due to space limitations. Most weigh 2.3 g, including the 1967 replica. The quality of the strike is thus probably the best way to distinguish the originals from the '67 reproductions.

I have yet to come across a full sized CAF uniform button made by Hemsley but if anyone has a spare, I would be interested in acquiring it or at least knowing that they in fact exist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAF Hemsley field cap button for BBF, 2.45 g.jpg (91.2 KB, 29 views)

Tags
button, caf, hemsley