British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-04-18, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Not my thing but I steer clear of AA ‘die stamped’ badges and ones with unmarked sliders. I feel this is a good rule of thumb. All the above spurious badges have both traits.

Cheers,
Luke
Hi Luke,

No, not really and you may miss out on absolute bargains if you follow that rule.

All genuine AA badges are 'die stamped' as per their manufacturing process of cold die forging. These shown here are also manufactured as per the genuine item - they were made by Gaunt via the same methodology. Die stamping (proper) was the process used in the pre A/A era.

Also, some rare early and a few late badges were not maker marked so you can't use this as a measure.

The trick is to know the era that a particular slider was manufactured. Is a late design slider attached to an early era badge?

Regards,

Chris
Old 13-04-18, 12:23 AM

Hi Chris,

As the man in the orthopaedic shoes said, I stand corrected. Thanks and great learning.

Just on the point of definition of ‘die stamped’ when it comes to AA.

With the two badges below I’d class the F&F Yeo as die stamped (detailed rear impression from a reverse die). I would not have said the RUR is die stamped, it has more of a die cast look to my eyes.

Are all the known AA ‘fakes’ / spurious badges not of the same reverse appearance as the F&F Yeo - what I may be wrongly referring to with my pre-‘‘no bull’’ collectors hat on as die stamped?

Cheers,

Luke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 276CDD9F-A6B7-41EF-86E2-620C8CEE226D.jpg (48.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpeg AD0849EB-5F5A-4C3B-8191-84BBD1F1A07D.jpeg (30.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 13-04-18, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Hi Chris,

As the man in the orthopaedic shoes said, I stand corrected. Thanks and great learning.

Just on the point of definition of ‘die stamped’ when it comes to AA.

With the two badges below I’d class the F&F Yeo as die stamped (detailed rear impression from a reverse die). I would not have said the RUR is die stamped, it has more of a die cast look to my eyes.

Are all the known AA ‘fakes’ / spurious badges not of the same reverse appearance as the F&F Yeo - what I may be wrongly referring to with my pre-‘‘no bull’’ collectors hat on as die stamped?

Cheers,

Luke
Hi Luke,

Both badges shown are 'die stamped' as in cold die forging.

Cast badges are either made form open or closed casting methods.

Closed cast badges have two dies held together and have the badge material forced into them leaving a 'flash' line around the badge edge.

Open cast badges have a single die but the reverse is flattish with a pock marked surface. The badge material is simply poured into the die releasing bubbles which when they rise to the surface become the pock marks.

Note, however, that some VERY early A/A badges were die stamped (proper) using the original pre A/A dies. These are rare, always unmarked and great to find. There are a few fakes though. Remember the slider era bit above...

Sorry, but you cant go by the reverse of the die to spot a fake unless it is an open cast fake. The detail of the reverse die is often dependent on the design of the badge profile.

Remember, die stamping is really pre A/A days. I believe the modern badges are, if not cold die forged, hot die forged but have not really got into the manufacturing techniques of post 1993 items yet although they basically seem to be made as per, less colouring, A/A badges.

Luke, if you can identify the method of manufacture of any badge then you are 90% on the way to spotting a fake.

So, learn to identify the following:

Die stamping (proper)
Hot and cold die forging (difference is the temperature of the metal used before it gets to the dies).
Closed casting
Open Casting

There are a few obscure other badge manufacturing methods too usually used by fakers of German Combat badges.

All this is covered in my book (in a lot more detail) in the two chapters covering the manufacturing process and in the fakes and reproductions section.

Regards,

Chris
Old 13-04-18, 01:07 AM

Hi Chris,

Thank you. Still trying to get my head round all that, really great info there!

From what I’ve seen your book looks excellent, and if I had £90 spare it’d definitely be yours ahead of K&K volume 2! And that’s from a metal badge collector.

Cheers again and many thanks for the insight into the manufacturing processes and repros.

Best regards,

Luke
Old 26-08-21, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Not my thing but I steer clear of AA ‘die stamped’ badges and ones with unmarked sliders. I feel this is a good rule of thumb. All the above spurious badges have both traits.

Cheers,
Luke
You'll love this one, picked up in October 1988, not from John Gaylor at "The Arches" but via Cairncross and Son's list....... seemed a good idea at the time.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210824_095220~2.jpg (62.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20210824_095229~2.jpg (59.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20210824_095233~2.jpg (43.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20210824_095240~2.jpg (49.6 KB, 22 views)