British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-06-10, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default What have we here? No 19

From my accumulation of photos, an image of OTC Brockville Ont Aug 1942. CTAA F Coy Platoon #19.

The question, what is the patching?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg otc brockville 1942.jpg (62.8 KB, 154 views)
Old 08-06-10, 02:06 PM
Badge Guru

I am guessing that the patch on the topee denotes an officer cadet?

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 08-06-10 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 07:48 PM

Brockville Rifles were with 6th Div, Pacific Command, but this patching looks too light to be the Pacific Command green diamond, and looks too light to be Atlantic Command grey diamond either (although I see no connection with that command).

Bad assumptions and a bad guess on my part, but if this is a 'graduating class' photo, could this be unauthorised yellow B/N-Force patching on tropical dress prior to deployment? Sure wish they had colour film in Brockville in 1942.

A Clive Law question: since Brockville was in Military District 3 in 1942, was there any distinct patching for military districts?
Old 08-06-10, 08:11 PM

I would agree with Jibba Jabba that the white diamond on the solar topee indicates an Officer Cadet. The clue is in the front row with two NCOs (instructors?) and the OC who do not have the patch! The patches on the sleeves are probably related.
Would it be warm enough in Brockville for tropical kit?
Old 08-06-10, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks gentlemen. The Brockville Rifles were at one point during the war, a training establishment for officer candidates. I believe you have hit the nail on the head with the id as some sort of patch for officer candidates. If the patching was consistent with other such establishments, they were likely white. This is an undocumented patch to date.
Summer in Canada can be extremely hot, and various orders of dress were authorized for wear during that season. Shirts and shorts was one of these.
David, there were no Military District patches during the Second World War. There were a set of badges for "Commands" after the war, and into the 60's. They included Central Command, Prairie Command, Western Command, Quebec Command, Eastern Command, 1st Cdn Division, NDHQ, AHQ, Canadian Base Units Europe. These had unique designs, but the formation signs were only used on vehicles and not produced as formation patches.
Old 09-06-10, 02:17 AM

I have a number of photos showing these patches in wear by O/Cdts. I believe that each platoon was identified by a different coloured patch. The use of a white cap-band or a white peak to the field service cap was the standard identifier for Officer cadets and there would be no need to indicate this on the sleeves. If any authorization for this exists it would be in Part II orders of the school - almost impossible to locate now.
Clive
Old 09-06-10, 08:46 PM

Small correction for Bill A. There was an officer cadet traing unit (OCTU) at Brockville during the Second World War but it existed quite independently of The Brockville Rifles. They continued to use the local armoury as their base. I'm not certain exactly where the OCTU camp was located in Brockville, but it was large enough to hold the RCR for a period of time after the Second World War - from November 1946 to November 1949, when it moved to Camp Petawawa.
Wyn
Old 09-06-10, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Wyn. Didn't the cadre of the OCTU wear Brockville Rifles badges?
Old 10-06-10, 01:58 AM

Default Brockville OTC

The location of the Brockville OTC is now a housing subdivision, the location of the wartime camp was near where the north-south railroad leaving Brockville passes under the 401.

The cadre for this camp was drawn from all Arms, the camp even contained an RCE wing which moved to Petawawa in 1944. Within the camp there was also a wing for training Russian Officers.

White badge backing and white formation style signs for OTC Cadets were very popular during WWII so the original image that Bill posted was interesting to see with the white markings on the sun helmets.

During WWII, KD was authorized for wear in Canada from May until September.
Old 10-06-10, 08:55 PM

A good friend of mine is a former CO of The Brockville Rifles and heartily encouraged study of the unit history.. I'll pass this to him!
Old 17-04-20, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn vdSchee View Post
Small correction for Bill A. There was an officer cadet traing unit (OCTU) at Brockville during the Second World War but it existed quite independently of The Brockville Rifles. They continued to use the local armoury as their base. I'm not certain exactly where the OCTU camp was located in Brockville, but it was large enough to hold the RCR for a period of time after the Second World War - from November 1946 to November 1949, when it moved to Camp Petawawa.
Wyn
If the area of the OCTU Brockville were placed back on the ground today it would straddle Hwy 401 at the underpass between the east and west Brockville exits.
Old 17-04-20, 06:30 AM

Coincidence that this thread should pop up. Here's an officer cadet photo on ebay.

Although it says Royal Canadian Artillery I actually think the title reads RCE for Engineers.

Interesting slip-on.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RCA-Phot...cAAOSwwU9emNb8

Keith