British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-10-20, 04:05 PM

A reply to what may be seen as an old thread.....

My friend was a Tank Driver in the QDG. He told me that the cavalry regiments tended to give the A/A cap badges to the recruits, but once they qualified then a metal/brass one was issued and the A/A ones were handed back....except those which were broken.

My friend served from the 70's into the 80's, but he's adamant that the "Welsh Cavalry" still adhere to the same system.

I asked about the other units and he stated that from what he recalls, all of them wore the A/A badge! The reason is because it was seen as a "buggerence" factor as the badges kept breaking....especially the lancers! hence, when they qualified a more robust one was used.

I was based in Tidworth in 1980 and the QRIH were the resident cavalry unit. Their cap badges were a mixture of A/A and metal ones....some of the guys would buy the metals ones if they lost or broke their issued one...they actually bought them from the stores!

I wore a R Sigs cap badge for a while...the A/A version....the bases broke off with regularity! I would often see, as I have done myself, guys walking round with half a cap badge as the base was usually snagged on a pocket, twig or anything!

I saw the thread about the E Yorks Regt A/A badge...I have one and only bought it as there was a big discussion so many years ago as to whether they were made and issued, made for the museum or were ever made at all... the museum stated that they had never ordered any for their shop....I never came to a conclusion, so be prepared...buy one just in case!

There are many who only collect badges with makers marks...I get that...but I have seen soldiers wearing badges with NO makers marks! (27 years service) I know, because I often tried to blag one! The problem is that even ones with makers marks may not be correct.

I was also told that some units who "moved on" from A/A badges gave them to the local cadet forces to use. This was to help with the recruitment into the Regular arm but also to make good use of the old stock.

At the end of the day....it's all down to the individual collector and what their preference is.

Regards,
Paul
Old 11-10-20, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRNcollector View Post
A reply to what may be seen as an old thread.....

My friend was a Tank Driver in the QDG. He told me that the cavalry regiments tended to give the A/A cap badges to the recruits, but once they qualified then a metal/brass one was issued and the A/A ones were handed back....except those which were broken.

My friend served from the 70's into the 80's, but he's adamant that the "Welsh Cavalry" still adhere to the same system.

I asked about the other units and he stated that from what he recalls, all of them wore the A/A badge! The reason is because it was seen as a "buggerence" factor as the badges kept breaking....especially the lancers! hence, when they qualified a more robust one was used.

I was based in Tidworth in 1980 and the QRIH were the resident cavalry unit. Their cap badges were a mixture of A/A and metal ones....some of the guys would buy the metals ones if they lost or broke their issued one...they actually bought them from the stores!

I wore a R Sigs cap badge for a while...the A/A version....the bases broke off with regularity! I would often see, as I have done myself, guys walking round with half a cap badge as the base was usually snagged on a pocket, twig or anything!

I saw the thread about the E Yorks Regt A/A badge...I have one and only bought it as there was a big discussion so many years ago as to whether they were made and issued, made for the museum or were ever made at all... the museum stated that they had never ordered any for their shop....I never came to a conclusion, so be prepared...buy one just in case!

There are many who only collect badges with makers marks...I get that...but I have seen soldiers wearing badges with NO makers marks! (27 years service) I know, because I often tried to blag one! The problem is that even ones with makers marks may not be correct.

I was also told that some units who "moved on" from A/A badges gave them to the local cadet forces to use. This was to help with the recruitment into the Regular arm but also to make good use of the old stock.

At the end of the day....it's all down to the individual collector and what their preference is.

Regards,
Paul
What you say about the QDG rings true with me. They were one of the first regiments to go back to wearing metal rather than anodised badges. The chrome version was issued pretty quickly after the reintroduction of metal badges.
Old 11-10-20, 07:04 PM

As I recall QDG were wearing chrome badges back in the 80's, possibly 70's?

17/21 Lancers were wearing chrome by the late 70's, one of their sergeants gave me a chromed badge in 1979, explaining that anod all were issued but that purchased chrome ones had to be worn.
Old 11-10-20, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
As I recall QDG were wearing chrome badges back in the 80's, possibly 70's?

17/21 Lancers were wearing chrome by the late 70's, one of their sergeants gave me a chromed badge in 1979, explaining that anod all were issued but that purchased chrome ones had to be worn.
I'm pretty sure that's a similar thing to what the QDGs did. Sketchley and Mac will advise on the QDG and 17/21 respectively I'm sure.
Old 17-10-20, 10:01 PM

The same thing happened with the Lpl Scots. They were issued with AA badges in 1965, so they gave them to the cadets. The Bn then went and got an Asian manufacturer to provide "proper" WM badges - however, that company (I don't know exactly who) then made A versions !!!!
Old 02-07-22, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

https://gnmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php?c...18#prettyPhoto

Fife & Forfar with an S&W mark added - post manufacture in my opinion.

Buyer beware.
Old 03-07-22, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
https://gnmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php?c...18#prettyPhoto

Fife & Forfar with an S&W mark added - post manufacture in my opinion.

Buyer beware.
Stamp is incorrect for the period of time it supposed to represent.
Unless of course there was a real shortage of badges and it was shared between Trp Smith and Trp Wright
Old 03-07-22, 12:08 PM

Its100% wrong. Its the usual moody example we know, but someone has had a go at livening it it up with an S&W mark - poorly executed and incorrect anyway.
Old 04-07-22, 10:41 AM

What's 'moody' Bess? Have I missed smtg here?
Old 04-07-22, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Stew

It was a design that was not authorised for production. The regiment merged in 1958 before an a/a badge was issued to them. Both the Regular and TA Bns wore the new badge. If you have seen a die struck badge with a blank slider then it's likely to be a repro.

Alan
SO QED - the West Yorkshire A/A is also unauthorised?
Old 04-07-22, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Chris Marsh's research did not find any evidence that West Yorkshire Regt was officially authorised for production See Page 148 and Appendix 8 Non Authorised cap badges.
Old 04-07-22, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Hi Mike

No collar badges. The old style uniform with a rounded yellow felt arc with black embroidered Norfolk. Underneath was another yellow felt arc with black embroidered A.C.F. From what I recall it had straight edges! Mid shoulder was a linen khaki rectangle with a dark blue 2 printed in the centre and we also wore a white lanyard which wasn't the single cord type.

Regards
Arthur
Thanks for this
Old 05-07-22, 08:21 AM

William, 'moody' means 'iffy' or suspect
Old 05-07-22, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
What's 'moody' Bess? Have I missed smtg here?
"Moody" is from Cockney rhyming slang and is often used to refer to something that is dodgy or stolen.

Quote:
Moody and Sankey is London Cockney rhyming slang for a deception (hanky-panky).
Dwight L Moody (1837-1899) and Ira D Sankey (1840-1908) were American evangelists who attracted vast audiences to their revivalist meetings in the USA and on their visits to Britain.

It seems not everyone trusted them !

Quote:
Whatever those two fellows say ,
There's no one will believe them ,
For everyone these latter days ,
Know well they will deceive them.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 22-08-22, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Chris Marsh's research did not find any evidence that West Yorkshire Regt was officially authorised for production See Page 148 and Appendix 8 Non Authorised cap badges.
Thanks - I haven't yet availed myself of the book

Andy