British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-06-14, 10:09 AM

Default Canadian Signal Corps Enamaled badge

Dear Friends.

I wonder if any of the members could comment on a Canadian Corps of Signals Enamaled cap badge currently on sale on a well known site item number 151313532197.

This is not like the equivalent badge that Joe Costello shows on his web site, how ever I am not sure if there were other or similar badges of this type.

The reverse does not make it very clear if there were ever lugs as such on this badge. As there was a long thread about "Sweetheart" badges recently is there any thought that this badge could be a "Sweetheart" badge.

Is the enamel right????? This version in my opinion looks like the Other Ranks (Large Pattern) with enamelling on the flags. I am not sure.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSC Officer Enamalled badge.jpg (73.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg CSC Officers emamalled badge reverse.jpg (73.6 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Bill A; 02-06-14 at 11:58 AM. Reason: livend link
Old 02-06-14, 11:05 AM

The N&S loops have been cut off at their base and can clearly be seen.

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 03-06-14, 10:58 AM

Chris,

The badge you refer to is a genuine CSC officers' cap badge (same as the one in my avatar). As Simon stated, the lugs have unfortunately been removed. Additionally, if you view the photo of the reverse of the badge, there is evidence of the original gilding, which has been polished from the obverse of the insignia. In my opinion, one of the most attractive CEF badges! Cheers,

Walt
Old 03-06-14, 11:48 AM

Default CSC Officers HB

The image looks correct. I have a photo from a collection that dates back to the 20's and the CSC badge in it is almost exact to the badge in question. (I brought both images up and compared at a very high resolution). The flags are correct (by color placement). I have seen another style that is in "Fire Gold" very brilliant, gold, with great enamel. This is also the only badge I need for my complete collection of "Sigs" stuff.

This is a very ugly badge and is unworthy of being in anyone's collection. I should get it to save other people the trauma of having it.
Old 03-06-14, 02:12 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Out of interest. I have a post war RCCS officers uniform fitted with the nice SGE collars, and this is the cap badge fitted to the peaked cap - but no flags.
Disregarding the fact that the uniform itself is post WWII, what period is this particular cap badge from (or is it also post WWII) - as against the one (with flags) shown in this thread??
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCCofSCapBadge.jpg (68.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-06-14, 03:25 PM

Default CSC Enamalled badge

Thanks Walt and Larry.

As the badge is now up to £191 and rising with quite a few days to go, I will not be bidding.

Larry it is all yours to complete your collection. Good Luck.

Nice to know it is genuine and a shame about the lugs being taken off.

Thanks for the replies

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 03-06-14, 05:51 PM

Default CSC Officer Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Out of interest. I have a post war RCCS officers uniform fitted with the nice SGE collars, and this is the cap badge fitted to the peaked cap - but no flags.
Disregarding the fact that the uniform itself is post WWII, what period is this particular cap badge from (or is it also post WWII) - as against the one (with flags) shown in this thread??
David
Your badge is an KC RCCS. These date from early 20's to mid 50's. The badge was worn by the regular component of Signals. The Militia or Reserve Signals wore the same badge but with only CCS (Canadian Corps of Signals). Both components wore the RCCS after 1935. The Officers CCS is another (somewhat) scarce badge.

The badge that started this all dates from 1908 to early 1920's. It was worn during WWI both in the CEF and Home Front.

Tags
canadian signals