British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-16, 05:23 PM

Default Possible CEF

My wife's oldest uncle was born in 1890 in Wisconsin, USA. He lived in Marinette, Wisconsin, USA until 1910 according to U.S. Federal Census records. After that, the only information about him is family rumor that he showed up one day in uniform. The attached picture shows him in this uniform. I have not been able to identify what service or unit he was in based on the uniform. Can anyone provide some ideas on where/when he might have been serving?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loose_TheodoreG_in_Uniform.jpg (43.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-11-16, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Hello glporterfield, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
The image is of a Canadian Expeditionary Force soldier. It appears that he is wearing the cap badge of one of the American Legion CEF battalions. (97th, 211th, 212th or 213th Bns were recruited from Americans, either living in Canada or those enticed from the States to cross the border and join up.) Being he is from the Wisconsin state area, there is a good chance he was in the 212th "Winnipeg Americans". Note, the central device on the cap badge is the crest of Washington's family.
Old 01-11-16, 08:05 PM

Default Possible CEF - Thanks

Bill:

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply.

After reading your response, I dug out the original photo and my magnifying glass. I can see a little more detail that way compared to the scanned image. Even with that, it is difficult to read the number on the shield in the center, but my wife and I both agree that it does appear to be 97. The "7" is the part that seems to stand out.

Now I need to see if I can find some records from the 97th to confirm his service there.

Thanks again,
George
Old 01-11-16, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

The 97th was recruited in Toronto, and when they arrived overseas they were broken up for reinforcements for frontline Cdn battalions.
Old 01-11-16, 08:37 PM

Hi
You can view his attestation papers online.
Search CEF attestation.
View date of joining up anf the unit and other info.
Kind regards
Dan
Old 01-11-16, 09:11 PM

Dan:

Thanks for the lead. Unfortunately, it appears that they have not digitized his records yet.

George
Old 01-11-16, 09:14 PM

The CEF records data base at Library and Archives Canada can be found here:

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...es/search.aspx

Keep in mind the digitization project is currently up to "L", any names later in the alphabet will appear in due course.

My pages on researching Canadian soldiers, starting at this link, may be useful to start your research: http://regimentalrogue.com/misc/rese...r_soldiers.htm
Old 01-11-16, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the links. I was already familiar with many of them.

This uncle (of my wife) seems to still be elusive. I have tried various spellings of the last name (Loose, Lohse, Lossa and more), and used the advanced search options to try other approaches. No luck so far.
Old 01-11-16, 09:45 PM

Hi
Can you share his name with us we might find a lead for you
Love a mystery
Dan
Old 01-11-16, 11:48 PM

As requested, here is some info on my wife's uncle who was in the picture.

Name: Theodore Galam Loose
Last name variations: Lohse, Loss, Lossa, or Loße
Born: March 1890 in Calumet County, Wisconsin
Lived in Marinette, Wisconsin until at least 1910. No record after that.

TIA,
George
Old 02-11-16, 10:03 PM

Hi George,
I have searched the nominal roll of the 97th battalion , no names fit Theodore Galam Loose at all.
Nine men have next of kin in Wisconsin. But from what I can see none really close to Marinette or Calumet County.
Are you sure this photo is of Theodore?

I then searched ancestry, and searched members family trees for Theodore Galam Loose.
I found a Theodore H Loose born 13 Oct 1886, Calumet Co.
Died 1959 Appleton, Outagamie Wis.
His father was Theodore Loose 1861-1919
Mother Dora Tiedje 1860-1930
His wife is named as LURA.
This info appears on 2 different family trees.
No children are given to him.
Is this your Theodore?
Again are you sure this photo is of Theodore?
In my family photo albums there are many ww1 soldiers that are not closely related to the family and some are just neighbours or friends.
It is a cracking portrait of a soldier in The CEF.
Look forward to your reply.
Dan
Old 02-11-16, 11:47 PM

The family believes that this is a photo of Theodore. On the back of the photo, it reads "Best Luck from Brother. Will be home by July." Written under the word July is 1919.

The photo is actually on a post card, but the post card was not mailed. It must have been included in a letter or package. It was in my father-in-laws possession since before I married into the family. My father-in-law only had one brother which was Theodore.

Family lore also says that Theodore showed up in Flint Michigan (to visit his brother, my father-in-law) in a military uniform that was not U.S. military. This had to occur after 1920 or 1921, since that is when my father-in-law moved to Flint MI.

I have done extensive research trying to find Theodore for at least 10 years. I have found many other men named Theodore Loose, some from the same part of Wisconsin. There were several Loose families in the area.

The information from this forum is the first confirmation of the military service that he was in (assuming this is him in the photo), and that should prove helpful in resolving this mystery someday.

Thanks,
George
Old 03-11-16, 10:09 PM

Hi George,
Just some thoughts on your Canadian soldier portrait. The message on the reverse fits with the 97th Battalion.
It was established December1915 and most men were taken on strength through to mid 1916. It then sailed for England 16th September 1916. The soldier who wrote 'see you in July was referring to July 1916, as his last leave to visit family before heading to Europe.
My guess would be that the postcard is a Usa or canadian printed post card Not a French or English one?
I would suggest the '1919' on the reverse was added later, for what ever reason.
By 1919 this canadian soldier would not be wearing this cap badge as the 97th battalion was broken up for reinforcements and sent to fighting battalions.
Having looked at the name 'loose' briefly on family trees on Ancestry it would appear it is of German decent. Many of the Looses I briefly looked at of this period had parents that had been born in Germany. Why would a man of German decent living freely in The Usa cross the border to fight a war that the usa was not involved in?
Having revisited the 97th battalion nominal roll, there are very few surnames that are not Anglo-Saxon. A few Danes and a few Russians. None have next of kin in Germany or state they are born in Germany.
I would suggest your CEF portrait in not likely to be your Theodore.
All the best Dan.