British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-08-15, 01:13 PM

Default WW1/2 German submarine map

Hi

Not quite sure where to post this, but I'll try here.

I have a 1918 German submarine map which has been lying, dry, in the attic for 20+ years. It might not be a submarine map, I just assumed because of the depths given.
It is, as far as I can tell, original. Though it seems to have been printed in 1918, there are some original ink stamps with swastica's, etc, so I'm guessing it might have been re-issued before/during WW2? Or maybe the map is based on a 1918 survey? I have no idea.
I can't find anything equivalent on eBay, so would anyone know if this is a rare item?

Also, as it has been rolled up for so long, it's hard to flatten it out, and though there are no tears, the folds are becoming weak.
Is there anyway to "iron it out" so to speak, without causing any damage?

Thanks

Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7194.jpg (71.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7195.jpg (36.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7196.jpg (38.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7197.jpg (65.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7198.jpg (62.9 KB, 54 views)

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 06-08-15, 02:00 PM

Most likely a navigational chart for the Caribbian Sea,issued by the Krigsmarine.....could have been used by U-Boats or surface vessels......if you were to put it on Ebay,the value would be that it is a German war-time issue (corrected 3/44).

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 06-08-15, 02:46 PM

Thanks Jo!

Probably very common, then. I suppose there are collectors who would be interested.
I thought maybe to sell, but have no idea of value.

Cheers

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 06-08-15, 04:48 PM

Check with the people in the Imperial / 3R German document sections of wehrmacht-awards.com ?
Old 06-08-15, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Check with the people in the Imperial / 3R German document sections of wehrmacht-awards.com ?
Thanks. I'll do that if I decide to sell

I was mostly interested to know if anyone knew of any techniques to unfurl it, "flatten it out" without damaging it, as it's pretty set in it's rolled up state.

Thanks

Colin

Old 06-08-15, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Thanks. I'll do that if I decide to sell

I was mostly interested to know if anyone knew of any techniques to unfurl it, "flatten it out" without damaging it, as it's pretty set in it's rolled up state.

Thanks

Colin

Just unroll it and place it upside down on a flat surface for a few weeks....it will improve the maps but won't bring them to a "new"status.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 07-08-15, 01:28 AM

Hi Colin,

For information regarding exactly what you have, I'd contact this Italian chap on his site: http://www.kartengruppe.it

Best,

Marcus
Old 07-08-15, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H View Post
Hi Colin,

For information regarding exactly what you have, I'd contact this Italian chap on his site: http://www.kartengruppe.it

Best,

Marcus
Thanks Marcus!

Colin

Old 07-08-15, 04:17 PM

Colin,

the Germans reissued many types of earlier maps for their own use, I have two -or 3?- pre war British OS maps of parts of the UK which have been reissued with German stamps and legends added to them but otherwise they are exact copies of the pre war British issues. The type I have are quite commonly seen and are worth in the low 10's of £'s as far as I as I am aware. Your map is a bit different and might be worth more.

Jerry
Old 07-08-15, 04:43 PM

Thanks guys for your help and advice

I'm going to flatten it out a bit by applying some weight (heavy books or something) and leave it for a bit.
I might try selling it if it turns out ok. I'll check out the links provided to learn a bit more about it.
If anyone on the forum is interested they'll have first dibs

Otherwise it's going on SMM

Cheers

Colin