British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-04-11, 09:05 AM

Default SA Army Corps Sergeant Major

Hi All,
Two questions for all the South African collectors and post WW2 experts. The SA Army changed from mainly brass/gilt badges to chrome badges, most reference books that I have seem to refer to this happening in the early 70’s, can anyone give a more detailed date?
The 2nd question refers to the “Corps Sergeant Major’s” as existed from about 1973, can anyone give me more info:
How long did they exist?
Were they replaced by the Command/Group Sergeant Major’s?
I know they wore the Corps badge above the WO1 badge but was this in chrome or gilt (reference to 1st question) and on both or only right (or left) arm?
Any other info will be appreciated.

Neville
Old 06-04-11, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog View Post
Hi All,
Two questions for all the South African collectors and post WW2 experts. The SA Army changed from mainly brass/gilt badges to chrome badges, most reference books that I have seem to refer to this happening in the early 70’s, can anyone give a more detailed date?
Neville,
The new 'stepout' uniform, with chromed badges, was phased in over several years, so there may not be a specific date for the change-over. IIRC, it was approved in 1974, but first generally issued from 1976. Some Citizen Force regiments continued to wear brass/gilt or bronze badges anyway, and while some later changed to chrome, some did not.

Quote:
The 2nd question refers to the “Corps Sergeant Major’s” as existed from about 1973, can anyone give me more info:
How long did they exist?
Were they replaced by the Command/Group Sergeant Major’s?
I know they wore the Corps badge above the WO1 badge but was this in chrome or gilt (reference to 1st question) and on both or only right (or left) arm?
My guess is that the Corps SM was the sergeant-major of 1 SA Corps. This was a fairly short-lived formation (1974-79) which controlled 7 SA Division and 8 SA Armoured Division, each of which had a division SM. The corps and divisions ('conventional forces') were separate from the commands ('unconventional forces'). The 'groups' were formations of commando units, which fell under the commands.

I've never seen the Corps SM badge, but my guess is that, like the division and command and other SMs' badges, it was probably embroidered, rather than metal, and worn on both arms.

Arthur
Old 06-04-11, 12:43 PM

Default SA Corps Sgt Maj's

Hi Arthur,
Thanks for that info. I got a copy of a document that shows that there were 7 Corps SM’s :Tec Services(TDK), Admin Services (ADK), Infantry (SAIK), Signals ( SASK), Armour (SAPK), Artillery (SAA) and Engineers (SAG)) approved in 1973, I wonder if there was one for the Medic Corps as they were still part of the Army in 1973. I have got another document that states that the Corps SM were stopped about 2 years previously but unfortunately that is not dated.

Neville
Old 06-04-11, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog View Post
I got a copy of a document that shows that there were 7 Corps SM’s :Tec Services(TDK), Admin Services (ADK), Infantry (SAIK), Signals ( SASK), Armour (SAPK), Artillery (SAA) and Engineers (SAG)) approved in 1973,
Hi Neville
Thanks - that's very interesting. I hadn't known that the corps (as in functional branches) had their own SMs.

Quote:
I wonder if there was one for the Medic Corps as they were still part of the Army in 1973.
Good question. Medics had been functioning separately from the Army since 1968, though they didn't become a full combat service in their own right until 1979. If they'd had a corps SM, he probably wouldn't have been on the Army's list with the others, but on a separate SAMC list.

Arthur
Old 07-04-11, 06:11 AM

Very interesting thread. Thank you. Regards Andrew
Old 07-04-11, 02:00 PM

Hi Andrew,

Do you mind if I attach the document (as I got it from you) on the corps Sgt Maj's.

Neville
Old 09-04-11, 09:50 AM

Hi Neville, No problem at all. Regards Andrew
Old 09-04-11, 03:17 PM

Attached find the info page that I got on the Corps Sergeant Major, it in Afrikaans, but states its proposed rank badges for the Corps SM's. Note the date, any info about these appointment posts please.

Neville
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0547.jpg (29.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-04-11, 03:32 PM

Hi Neville, it is approved in 1973. The art card says proposed, once it is signed by all parties concerned, then it is approved. It does not mean that it is implemented on that date. Regards Andrew
Old 09-04-11, 07:54 PM

Thanks, Neville, for the pic. Most intriguing.

In 1977, Paratus published a chart of rank badges. The only WO insignia shown for the Army were SM of the Army, Command SM, Division SM, and Brigade SM, and the ordinary WO 1 and WO 2 badges for everyone else. No Corps SM badges, nor any mention that they wore WO 1 badges with their corps cap badges above.

In 1988, Paratus published another chart, covering all the SM badges in all four branches of service. Again, no Corps SM badges, nor any mention of them.

Clearly the proposed Corps SM badges were approved but, to echo Andrew, I wonder if they were actually implemented. Looking at the dates and signatures on the art card , it looks as though Lt Gen Louw signed as Chief of the Army. He was succeeded shortly afterwards by Lt Gen Magnus Malan -- perhaps he had different ideas on the subject and shelved it.

Arthur
Old 10-04-11, 10:54 AM

Hi Arthur, Can you post copies of the 2 Paratus articles? If not could you forward me copies please? Regards Andrew
Old 10-04-11, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi Arthur, Can you post copies of the 2 Paratus articles? If not could you forward me copies please? Regards Andrew
Hi Andrew
I'll speak to the local copy shop tomorrow. The 1988 chart is an A4 page, but the 1977 one is an A2 size poster, so it may need to be split up into several scans.

Arthur
Old 10-04-11, 03:16 PM

Hi Arthur,

I would also like copies of the 2 paratus articles if you can copy or scan them. I also have another document that is unnamed and undated (unfortunately) where the author asked if the "Corps Sgt Maj" wore the WO1 badge with the Corps badge above it. The reply is "Yes, the Corps SM wore the Corps badge above the WO1 badge but this policy was cancelled two years ago." As I say does not help to date the wearing of the appointment badges.

Neville
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heraldic 5 072.jpg (19.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-04-11, 07:48 PM

Thanks Neville, I forgot about that one. Thanks Arthur. Regards Andrew
Old 11-04-11, 12:27 PM

I hope these scans are OK. The original files were way too big to attach, so I split them up into smaller sections. The ink colour on the original of the 1988 chart is a bit off in places: the division and brigade/group SM badges look black, but are actually green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WO Chart 1977.jpg (14.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg WO Chart 1988-A.jpg (33.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg WO Chart 1988-B.jpg (39.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg WO Chart 1988-C.jpg (30.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg WO Chart 1988-D.jpg (29.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg WO Chart 1988-E.jpg (39.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg WO Chart 1988-F.jpg (39.8 KB, 16 views)

Arthur