British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-11-13, 02:04 PM

Default Whose balls are these?

Hi Gents

I was given these shrapnel balls by a friend who'd picked em up in a field close to the Somme, whilst on a battlefield tour.

Is there anyway of identifying whether they come from British shells or German?
I'm assuming there was a standard size? Or different sizes according to the size of the shell?

They measure 1cm across. Some are larger, but these show signs of impact which distorted the shape. Or later plowing.

Cheers

Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5383.jpg (47.0 KB, 83 views)

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 16-11-13, 05:02 PM

By the look of them They are more than likely from the Marlborough or later Napoleonic era. Could be British, French or even Prussian.
Old 16-11-13, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
By the look of them They are more than likely from the Marlborough or later Napoleonic era. Could be British, French or even Prussian.
I wasn't aware this area was fought over in previous wars. Would you be kind enough to enlighten me as to who fought there and when?
Old 16-11-13, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
I wasn't aware this area was fought over in previous wars. Would you be kind enough to enlighten me as to who fought there and when?
I think it's more likely, point to somewhere in France that someone hasn't had a punch up over the years......

Simon.
Old 16-11-13, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
I think it's more likely, point to somewhere in France that someone hasn't had a punch up over the years......

Simon.
I did a wee bit of trawling for information though and came up with nothing for the Somme area, not even medieval scrapping.
Old 16-11-13, 07:45 PM

I don't know Hussar
The Somme was the barrier to Henry V at the end of 100 years war, they fought all along it trying and finding a ford which led to the big punch up at Agincourt. That's just one. And I think when France was invaded by the coalition in 1814, they trampled all over that part of northern France on the way to Paris, causing the Emperors abdication.

Simon.
Old 16-11-13, 07:46 PM

But, overall. You'll never know who fired those above. They have been shoving crap down barrels since the beginning. Shrapnel was someone who turned it into a factory produced weapon.

Simon.
Old 16-11-13, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
But, overall. You'll never know who fired those above. They have been shoving crap down barrels since the beginning. Shrapnel was someone who turned it into a factory produced weapon.

Simon.
You're quite right. "Shipyard confetti" we called it. Anything solid and nasty which could be fitted into a round or IED. The navy called it "Cannister" and shoved anything old and rusty into the casing which is why it was sometimes called "Case shot". The round is still on issue to the BA today but just contains ball. It give a marvelous shotgun effect when fired from the 120mm (4.5in) tank gun.
Old 16-11-13, 08:11 PM

Lighter british field guns(18pdr) have 41 bullets to the pound and near to 1/2 in and not properly round , heavier have 35 which are made of mixed metal(7 parts lead 1 antimony) with a striking force of at least 60ft-lb, I think 50ft-lb was considered to be enough to knock the average sized man of the time over.
Andy.
Old 16-11-13, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Lighter british field guns(18pdr) have 41 bullets to the pound and near to 1/2 in and not properly round , heavier have 35 which are made of mixed metal(7 parts lead 1 antimony) with a striking force of at least 60ft-lb, I think 50ft-lb was considered to be enough to knock the average sized man of the time over.
Andy.
They are used against helicopters these days.
Old 16-11-13, 08:26 PM

That would be some clay shoot!
Andy.
Old 16-11-13, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
That would be some clay shoot!
Andy.
aye. There's a clip on youtube of the Yanks doing it I think. I'm nearly sure it was listed in our ammo availability book as a defoliation round, being banned from deployment against human targets. I could be wrong about that though.
Old 16-11-13, 09:38 PM

Thanks for your replies, guys!

On closer measuring, the undamaged ones are 1,25 cm, or half an inch across.
I have about 10 of these, and another half dozen found at Passchendaele. All the same size and weight?

I've learnt this evening that most WWI British Shrapnel shells contained half inch lead-antimony balls.

I have a number of Napoleonic lead shots, and though not consistent in size, all are a good deal larger than these.

I think, all this taken into consideration, there's a fair chance these are from WW1 shells.
Does anyone know what size the shrapnel shell balls (say THAT fast 10 times! ) the Germans used?

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"