British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-09, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Excellent site. I'm interested in the AMF Corps of Signals coloured flash. Can anyone provide the text of Authority: GRO O.411/44? My interest is actually from a Canadian perspective. This badge was authorized for wear (by Canada) by members of 1st Canadian Special Wireless Group, a sigint unit that served in Darwin 44-45. The CO requested authority from Headquarters in Canada and, as they were sailing, brought a quantity with them (2 per man). On board, when approval was given, out came the needles so they could arrive wearing their badges.
Joe,
Here are some photos of the WW2 Corps of Signals patch as worn on Australian service dress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (97.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (93.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (80.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 19-02-09, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
Joe -- wasn't able to access the link to your patches, but a black and white triangle would be for 1st Corps HQ (redesignated 2nd Corps in late 1944 -- confusing, eh?). Stay tuned for photos of the Signal Corps patch.
Thanks for the great photos!!! The patch I have is black/white triangle split vertically. I looked at all the patches on the site and it most resembles the 1st Corps AASC although that one is supposed to be blue/white. Are there any other badges like that? There didn't seem to be any other vertically split triangle shapes.
Old 19-02-09, 02:01 AM

Joe,

I think your triangular patch is actually white and dark blue from the photograph you have posted. Searching through the Colour Patch Register 1915 -1949 the only colour patch split vertically I have found to date is I Corps AASC Dark Blue and White, the same as yours.

Depending on how they were worn on the left sleeve it could be:
I Corps Ammunition Park, vertically DB to the left,
I Corps Troops Ammunition Column worn vertically DB to the right.
I Corps Troops Supply Column worn upside down DB to the left,
I Corps Petrol Park worn upside down DB to the right,
No 1 AA Bde Coy AASC worn point to the right DB on top,
I Corps Mobile School of Mechanisation worn point to the right DB on bottom,
2nd/1st Motor Ambulance Convoy ( Transport Wing) worn point to the left DB on top, and
AASC attached to following Corps units: 2nd/18th Fd Amb, 2nd/3rd Fd Hygiene Section etc worn point to the right DB on bottom.

Very confusing!!

Cheers
Chris
Old 19-02-09, 05:47 AM

Chris is right about the multiple and quite confusing uses of that particular triangular patch. Keith Glyde's book explains the differences in even more detail.

Tags
alh brigade, alh regiment, arm of service, australian light horse, corps of signals, formation patch, rccs