British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-05-21, 11:20 AM

Question 9/12th Royal lancers question: bi-metal badge?

Hello everyone, I've got a 9/12th lancers badge that I could use some help with: The badge is bi-metal and not anodized aluminium, and my understanding is that this badge should be in anodized aluminium?

I've been using John Gaylor's Military Badge Collecting to help identify and research recent additions to my collection. Where the 9/12th are mentioned, only an anodized badge is described. I've also searched the forums here and can't find any examples of the 9/12th badge that isn't anodised.

In the intro to the book it's noted that some regiments had metal badges made privately to replace their anodised aluminium ones. So my question is around the origin of this badge; is it possibly one of these privately made badges, maybe something else, or just simply a reproduction?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4999.jpg (61.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5001.jpg (56.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-05-21, 12:15 PM

Many Cavalry Regiments allowed and sold in the Regimental PRI OR’s metal cap badges during my time in the 1980’s I have several examples I bought my self from the regimental Shops. And indeed saw beings worn.

My regiment Did not sell metal cap badges 4th/7th RDG but we were allowed to self purchase however prior to wear the said badge had to be inspected and permission gained from the RSM

Should you be found with a dirty badge permission would be removed. I was his Driver in Germany as RSM then later as Squadron leader of HQ Squadron.

A/A badges did not fair well and often got bent and damaged by (Tank Rash) bashing or scraping against Steel.

Hope this helps
Regards
Stephen

Last edited by yorkstone; 09-05-21 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-05-21, 12:49 PM

My cap badge
but much older than 1982 when I joined the regiment, given to me in my Local Pub by a WW2 veteran.

Most badges were brand New (repro) sold by a L/Cpl in A Squadron.

Regards
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D00B2F6F-D750-49EE-9D8E-BEE298D5D3FE.jpg (105.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by yorkstone; 09-05-21 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-05-21, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
My cap badge
but much older than 1982 when I joined the regiment, given to me in my Local Pub by a WW2 veteran.

Most badges wore brand New (repro) sold by a L/Cpl in A Squadron.

Regards
Stephen

A well polished example !! Steve.

On the 9th/12th ,they wore a cloth beret badge for many years.So I'm doubtful as to it even being a private purchase item.
Old 09-05-21, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
My cap badge

Most badges were brand New (repro) sold by a L/Cpl in A Squadron.

Regards
Stephen
Thanks for the information across your posts Stephen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
A well polished example !! Steve.

On the 9th/12th ,they wore a cloth beret badge for many years.So I'm doubtful as to it even being a private purchase item.
Thanks Mike, do you know what period they used cloth badges as opposed to cap badges? Anodized badges for the 9/12th were made so I don't want to rule anything out.

I'm not particularly worried if this badge is not official badge or a private purchase, as I got it for nothing. But I would like to be sure before I chuck it in with the rest of my fakes!
Old 09-05-21, 08:43 PM

The anodised version will have been worn in the cap up to amalgamation a few years ago.
The cloth beret badge was worn in the 90s most certainly. Somebody with a deeper interest in Cavalry items will probaly have a better idea of exactly when they were brought in. There are at least 2 variations of it.
Old 09-05-21, 08:50 PM

Metal cap badges I bought or gifted 1980’s whilst serving,

Bought from PRI and were worn,

Scots DG provided by my pall on same course, Royal Hussars bought in Germany Hohne camp they did shoulder titles also I bought a pair, 13/18 Hussars bought in Herford Germany, 16th 5th Lancers given to me 1985/6 time when my old school pal was at Tidworth, QDG, 15th/19th Hussars I bought Bovington camp 1985

9th/12 NCO’s wore a brass armoured car badge on their arm also at this time in working dress and dress uniform.

all new manufactured badges at the time,

Regards

Stephen