British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-09, 11:58 PM

Default C Squadron SAS-

I was recently present when a gentleman claimed in a public-non military related situation, to have been a Colonel in this unit. He did have what could have been a Rhodesian accent. I thought at first "Yeah sure you were!" but now wonder. Anyone who this could be now living in the UK? Any pictures of possible colonels? PM me if you have a picture that you think should be kept private. Regards, Paul.
Old 08-12-09, 12:31 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I was recently present when a gentleman claimed in a public-non military related situation, to have been a Colonel in this unit. He did have what could have been a Rhodesian accent. I thought at first "Yeah sure you were!" but now wonder. Anyone who this could be now living in the UK? Any pictures of possible colonels? PM me if you have a picture that you think should be kept private. Regards, Paul.
Surely if a colonel he would have been the Commanding officer of the Regiment and moved on from C Sqn?

Far too many walts on this site, can we get back to badges and leave this sort of thing to the gutter press! I'm getting tired of people moaning about how servicemen wear their headress and who's prancing about with Spinks latest medal list pinned onto their chest!!!

Back to badges Please, we should not be exchanging details of serving or non serving personnel either by PM or any other means, this is an open site anyone can access! Some common sense please!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 08-12-09 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-12-09, 12:44 AM

The question can be moved to "Everything Else", if it is a problem. Off to bed now Andy, I've been out too much today. Honest incident though. Regards, Paul.
Old 08-12-09, 11:32 AM

I value and respect your military and badge knowledge Andy.
You do have a right to give your opinions as we all do on this forum.
I have little knowledge on our own Special Forces, none on those of other countries. My interest in C Sqn was sparked by the incident I mentioned.
Pictures of servicemen and women in uniform serving and in times past times are often posted on this forum.
So to clarify, I would still be interested in seeing pictures 'in the public domain' if such exist, of any person, in uniform, pre 1980, who might of been the gentleman I came accross, or general information related to service on anyone conected to C Squadron of Lt Col. or Col. rank.
If this post is more than an annoyance and infact "out of line", I hope Admin or the Mods. will let me know. Regards, Paul.
Old 08-12-09, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I think that all the info you want can be found in the book "SAS Rhodesia" by Jonathan Pittaway and Craig Fourie.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 08-12-09, 01:28 PM

I hope that this info will not upset too many people as I realise this forum is about Badges, however military info is I feel all related to Badges.

C Sqn was in Malaya Mar 1951 to Nov 1953 and was commanded by Maj Peter Walls, who later went on to be head of the Rhodesian Army.
Old 08-12-09, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Back to badges Please, we should not be exchanging details of serving or non serving personnel either by PM or any other means, this is an open site anyone can access! Some common sense please!
Andy
This is a badge forum, but has always included discussions on other militaria and personalities.

Where as I agree with Andy on most subjects this is one I don't. For the last 20 odd years, I get 4 regimental journals sent to me and in 3 of them every issue of the publication is full with photo's with names, ranks, postings, courses. They always have done and probably always will.

In that time our countries sworn enemies have included The Russians, DDR, OIRA, PIRA, CIRA, RIRA, Argentina, Iraq and Islamic terrorists. They can all read, they can all get copies of these and every other regimental journal off auction sites and supporters. So mention on the net of a historic SAS Colonel, named in many a book, isn't likely to cause any ripples within the massed ranks within Bin Ladens cave.
What was it? Ah! Some common sense Please.
Old 08-12-09, 07:29 PM
Former Member

Gentlemen,
more than happy with your replies and points of view. However "Loose lips sink ships"!

My last on this thread!

Andy
Old 08-12-09, 08:55 PM

Thanks to those who have replied. After a quick 'Google' I have thus far found only one name mentioned with the rank in question, 'B R'. I will try and order some books on the subject from my local library, and see if I can satisfy my curiosity. Any further info. would though still be welcome. Regards to all, Paul. PS. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ity-boxes.html I was not familiar with the mentioned incident with Prince Charles (2006) before I opened this thread.

Last edited by wardog; 08-12-09 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-12-09, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks to those who have replied. After a quick 'Google' I have thus far found only one name mentioned with the rank in question, 'B R'. I will try and order some books on the subject from my local library, and see if I can satisfy my curiosity. Any further info. would though still be welcome. Regards to all, Paul.
Hello Paul
There is a GB with the rank of Lt Col.
Cheers
Dave
Old 08-12-09, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks to those who have replied. After a quick 'Google' I have thus far found only one name mentioned with the rank in question, 'B R'. I will try and order some books on the subject from my local library, and see if I can satisfy my curiosity. Any further info. would though still be welcome. Regards to all, Paul. PS. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ity-boxes.html I was not familiar with the mentioned incident with Prince Charles (2006) before I opened this thread.
A similar incident is mentioned by Peter Ratcliffe in his book "Eye of the Storm",where in the special forces club he was introduced to a man who had met him a few weeks previously although he was not in the country at the time : For those who dont know Peter Ratcliffe ,he was a former para who went on to be RSM of 22nd Regt SAS at the time of the 1st Gulf war.
It is also his real name unlike other former special forces soldiers that are now authors.If you are interested ,you can find the real name of an ex RGJ soldier whose an author on the RGJ website in the medal recipient section.
Old 13-12-09, 03:52 PM

The two officers who commanded the Rhodesian SAS in the rank of Lt Col were Garth Barrett and Graham Wilson. Brian Robinson was OC as a Maj but went on to be a Lt Col on the COMOPS staff.