British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-10-13, 08:04 PM

Default EOD diver

Hiya
I was an RE [SW] EOD Diver in 33 EOD in the 80's,Trained at HMS Nelson[ Vernon site] Portsmouth in 1987, never heard of any REME or RA divers, RCT ones yes at 17 Ports Unit, we also had a training facility at Keil in Germany, so the RE diving teams in the BAOR RE Regiments could have continuation training.
The odd badge I would have thought is easily explained, anyone moving to another Corp or army unit would still be allowed to wear his qualification on his NO2 dress, if you went out of date, or let your qualification lapse, you had to remove it from your jumper, the diving badge wasnt worn on shirts, but you would always were it on your no2's. I will attach a picture of me in NO1 dress. and a diving picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paul + keith eod.jpg (45.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg docklands clearance canary wharfe (2).jpg (91.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-11-13, 09:30 AM

I was an RE Shallow Water Diver in the 1980's. I did my basic in 1987 whilst in 33 EOD, I only ever recall 17 Ports and Royal Engineers being trained at HMS Nelson [Vernon site] Portsmouth. we also had an RE training facilty at Kiel in Germany to allow continuation for the RE BOAR Dive teams.
As regard the blues and Royals, it could be as simple as a Unit/Corp transfer, I know a current serving Captain in the Royal Signals, he was an EOD NCO with me, he would still have his red EOD bomb on his No2's etc etc
33 EOD has Divers/Commando/Paras I was in the first mixed troop formed in 1987 to deploy with 3 Commando and 5 Airborne as was, There is always a mix, the 33 Commanding Officer at the time was a previous Royal Marine Commando!