British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-20, 05:54 PM

Default How to Display Buttons?

I have never passed up a bargain on a button(s) when I find them, and have several for many of the WW2 British para units, plus several French, British and KGL buttons for the Napoleonic wars and American buttons for the War of 1812. Never figured a decent way to display then, so they sit in a box. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks,

Terry
Old 28-03-20, 06:02 PM

I have a few, ive mounted them on card. Ive drawn a grid onto the card, then in the centre of each grid i punch a whole. This way the buttons even if of a different size, are all centred. I cut a cotton bud in half and use this to stop the buttons falling off. I pierce the card with a pencil, this is usually just right for the button shank to go through. You could even colour the card, to a certain Regiment/Corps. Much easier than mounting badges, i haven't found a right way yet to do these.
Andy
Old 28-03-20, 06:54 PM

Default Button Display Suggestion

Good day Terry,

In answer to your query, I supposed it depends on how you wish to display your buttons.

If you wish to display them in a frame hanging on the wall, Then Andy's suggestion would work the best. I have used thin corrugated cardboard with some form of facing; either paper or cloth. Find a good sharp tool to make a small hole through the cardboard, push the button shank through and secure from the rear with what ever you choose. I have used pipe cleaners, cotter pins or the Canadian Forces issued split-ring button holders.

If you plan on displaying your buttons in a case lying flat on a surface, another method is one I use for the buttons I sell at badge sales (pictures enclosed).

In a shadow box, cut a piece of soft foam rubber to fit the interior. With a sharp, thin bladed box cutter, make a series of cuts through the foam , deep enough to accommodate the sharks of the buttons. I have found that the majority of button shanks are oriented E-W, so your cuts should be horizontal to a person's view. Gently separate the foam and drop the button shank into the gap. The foam will lightly grip the shank and prevent most button from moving around.

Hope this gives you some ideas to work with. As they say in Italy, "Simpa, lika dat!"

Ian B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0273.jpg (67.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0274.jpg (85.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0275.jpg (80.7 KB, 51 views)
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 28-03-20, 07:57 PM

Terry, I wrote an involved post as to how I constructed one of my displays. (Over 200 years of RA with RHA buttons), added a photo, clicked to post and the whole lot disappeared! Seems I had taken too long and was logged out automatically! Here’s the attachment, if you need more info, PM me. Regards, D.J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8978CDFD-12A2-4D88-BB16-900341FF8E75.jpg (70.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 28-03-20, 08:17 PM

Default Display Buttons

See link for ideas

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...isplay+buttons

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
I have never passed up a bargain on a button(s) when I find them, and have several for many of the WW2 British para units, plus several French, British and KGL buttons for the Napoleonic wars and American buttons for the War of 1812. Never figured a decent way to display then, so they sit in a box. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks,

Terry
Old 28-03-20, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post

Terry
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=65877
Old 29-03-20, 12:56 AM

For years I have had miscellaneous boxes and cards of Australian CIVILIAN buttons (police, fire brigade, railways, airlines, maritime etc etc). During the past couple of weeks I have been able to put them on new cards about A4 size, just corflute in a cardboard box.

We now have a new book published about a year ago (never been anything published on them before) so I have been putting them in the same order as the book which lists 500 + buttons from about 1850 to the present and leaving space for the many missing.

The problem which we all have in making an framed display is what to do with all the gaps in a collection. This will be the next step in the process.

If anyone has any spares of these, especially QVC, I would be interested to see them, can exchange similar or perhaps some early British military which are also in the misc boxes.
Old 29-03-20, 02:39 AM

Thank you very much gentlemen! Lots of good ideas here to digest. I guess my first step should be to sort out what I have and then decide how to best display them.

Again, my very sincere thanks!!!

Terry
Old 29-03-20, 10:27 AM

I like to see them and have several frames of buttons and collars, buttons I find very interesting I do not necessarily mount to regimental order and will probably annoy some purists but that’s me.
Regards
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3B2DF9FF-66B0-4125-BFE6-511F4B37F932.jpg (99.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 0F2B973A-71A8-4F9E-805D-E2EC5D026524.jpg (76.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 11-05-20, 05:00 PM

Display mine on a 2" Brown Leather Belt.
Got my self a leather punch from eBay to make the extra holes.
Buttons look great when belt is hung up on the wall...