British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-02-21, 12:44 PM

Exclamation Unknown Metal Eagle

I found this metal eagle in my late grandmothers belongings, and, as a keen RAF cadet, I am assuming it is either RAF or RNAS. I had a great grandfather who served in the RNAS and subsequently the RAF during WW1. He was not an officer in the service and did not serve overseas (he painted the aircraft). Have so far been told 2 different things, firstly:

"The eagle badge was worn by members of No 8 (Path Finder Force) Group, RAF Bomber Command which was reformed in the UK in January 1943. The badge was worn on the tunic exclusively by members of the Group. No 8 Group was initially created as a training unit (8 Group Training) when the RFC and RNAS merged on 1 April, 1918 to form the new Royal Air Force"

and secondly:

"A gilt eagle badge was worn by RNAS officers on their khaki Overseas Service Dress, above the left breast pocket. I accept that your man was neither an officer, nor served overseas, but this was a standard WW1 RNAS badge"

I did have other relatives who served in WW1 and WW2 but they all served in the Army, so don't believe it comes from any of them.

The fixings on the back of the badge seem to be relevant here? This one has 1 screw missing. All the badges I have seen which are similar to this have a pin as the fixing rather than screws.

Any help would be much appreciated!

LizzzyH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eagle Badge Front.jpg (62.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Eagle Badge Back.jpg (56.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 09-02-21, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Hi LizzyH, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 09-02-21, 08:29 PM

I think this is part of a RAF officers FS cap badge = missing the crown. If it was a RNAS eagle it would have three fixing pillars not two. As for it being a pathfinder eagle it would only have applied during WWII.
Dave
Old 10-02-21, 10:48 AM

Thanks Dave,

Initially, I'd dismissed it as a cap badge because I couldn't see any with the same fixings at the back but I will continue searching. So far have not located a crown to go with (but small things like that can easily be lost). Be interesting if it is an officers cap badge as when my great grandfather went into the RAF he was given the rank of private and stayed as one till he left in 1919.

I have nothing definitive to say it is from WWI or belonged to my Great Grandfather. If it is from a later date, it's likely it was given to one of my relatives instead.

Thanks
LizzzyH
Old 11-02-21, 05:54 PM

Hi Lizzy, for your interest. here's what the complete badge looks like. Cheers Paul.
20210116_153825.jpg

20210116_153957.jpg