British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Military Book and Media Reviews

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-22, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
And this has started me wanting to track down a copy of Barbusse's book. I can't recall if I mentioned this, but the French title is "Le Feu".

If a French member is reading this and would like to PM me, I'd be keen to buy a copy. I think my late Dad (a REAL Francophile) had one but it could be anywhere amongst his many, many books.
Plenty of copies available on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133968126...mis&media=COPY

JT

Old 15-12-22, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
I really liked it; very atmospheric, a real sense of being in the moment, and some superb acting too, though I have to say I was disappointed it wasn’t more faithful to the book. Also, the final ten or so minutes of the film (spoiler alert) where Bäumer and his comrades are sent on a pointless attack on the French trenches fifteen minutes before the Armistice, is not part of Remarque’s story.

Well worth a watch, but if you’re looking for a film version of the book, you’ll be left wanting.

Did you like it?

JT
I haven't read the book yet. I liked the movie, seing the german perspective how they are just kids brainwashed into the war machine. It's very actual....
Choice of music were weird though. I saw 1917 a week or two after and I have to admit I was blown away by this one and nearly forget the first one.
Old 15-12-22, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe23 View Post
I haven't read the book yet. I liked the movie, seing the german perspective how they are just kids brainwashed into the war machine. It's very actual....
Choice of music were weird though. I saw 1917 a week or two after and I have to admit I was blown away by this one and nearly forget the first one.
Yes, the soundtrack to AQOTWF, was something else; I thought it was brilliantly done. Fearsomely dark and ominous, full of dread and foreboding. It really added to the inescapable feeling of impending doom. Brilliant.

Agreed; ‘1917’ is an absolutely fantastic film.

JT

Tags
remarque, ww1