British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-10-20, 10:28 AM

Default British Legion Gold Badge

The Royal British Legion Badge in Gold was originally an award for someone who had given outstanding service to their branch , there was no set minimum number of years required and an example from 1928 exists.

They came in various sizes , from large (26mm x 26mm) 1928 ?, minature (7mm x 9mm) and small (20mm x 20mm) which was possibly introduced in 1946.From 1972 the Queens Crown RBL version appeared and in 1987 the 'new' lion head version arrived.

From Royal British Legion Awards criteria :

The Gold Badge may be awarded to a member who has given at least eight (8) years meritorious and conspicuous service to the objectives of the Legion as defined by the Royal Charter. Following the National Chairman's approval of the award, the formation proposing the award must meet the cost of the badge. When the recipient passes away, the badge becomes the property of the next of kin, who may retain it or return it to the formation to issue to another individual for whom the award has been approved.

Below are two examples from my collection.

1. Gaunt BL 1946 - 1972 Hallmarked : Makers mark JRG&S : No member number : Button hole fitting.
2. Gaunt RBL 1972 - 1987 : Member number G 9090 (G indicates gold) : Pin fitting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BL Small Gold.jpg (64.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Gaunt 1972 - 1991.jpg (44.1 KB, 7 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 25-10-20 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Wrong dates
Old 24-10-20, 10:43 AM

Default British Legion "For Merit" badge

National Certificate of Appreciation Badge

The National Certificate of Appreciation was the first award instituted by the British Legion.

In 1960 a badge was instituted although of no intrinsic value , being made of base metal , and bearing the words 'FOR MERIT'.

It identifies its wearer as having been awarded the National Certificate of Appreciation which is The Royal British Legion's highest award.

From Royal British Legion Awards criteria :

The National Certificate of Appreciation is the highest honour the Legion can bestow on a member. It may be awarded to a member who has made a conspicuous contribution to the Legion at any level for a period of at least twelve (12) years. Certificates are presented at Annual Conference and are accompanied by a special lapel badge inscribed 'For Merit'.

Below are three examples from my collection.

1. 1960 - 1971 version : No makers mark : Number K110 : Pin fitting

2. 1972 - 1987 version : No makers mark : Number K298 : Pin fitting

3. 1987 - present : No makers mark : No number : Pin fitting

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BL FOR MERIT.jpg (62.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg For Merit 1.jpg (58.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg For Merit.jpg (33.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 25-10-20 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Changed dates
Old 07-11-20, 03:08 PM

Picked up a small job lot of three hat/beret badges :

1) A lugged 'QVC' BL standard bearer - No mark or number/letter on back. (no photo posted as normal badge).

2) A lugged RBL beret badge - Small (minature size) 'new lion head' enamel (post 1987).

3 Slidered 'QVC' BLVPF (British Legion Volunteer Police Force) - Has larger 'lion head' (held on by two tabs) , longer/thinner slider which has Registered Design number 684409 stamp. (This is the original design number found on large BL badges from 1921 - 1945 when smaller badge introduced).

NB. BLVPF badge has been repaired/soldered possibly due to one tab being damaged.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RBL Beret Badge.jpg (66.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg BLVPF F.jpg (56.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg BLVPF Slider.jpg (15.5 KB, 17 views)

Old 08-11-20, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Sorting through BL/RBL badges and considering making up a couple of 'basic' frames. Put together a group of British Legion ones to get an idea how it would look.
Hi Mike

A really nice frame with some wonderful badges! I'll post one that you may not have later....
Old 11-11-20, 12:48 PM

Default History

I recently picked up 2 books about the history of the Legion , each also contained an interesting piece of paper.

1. "We Will Remember Them" Historical Record of the British Legion Scotland by Lt.Col. George Malcolm of Poltalloch (1959) - This contained a note to Branch Chairmen basically asking them to 'push' sales.

2. Official History of the British Legion by Graham Wooten (1956) - A telegram to Lady Jellicoe.

NB. There is no way of knowing if this is the actual book sent to Lady Jellicoe but it is (at least) one of the "limited number of copies ...that have been specially bound for some of the British Legion's closest friends"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Legion Scotland.jpg (77.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg British Legion Book.jpg (46.9 KB, 16 views)

Old 13-12-20, 02:46 PM

Latest addition and another one off my wanted list !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NMA.jpg (57.3 KB, 20 views)

Old 27-12-20, 10:09 AM

Exclamation Fantasy badge ?

Spotted this RBL "Life Member" badge for sale and something just seems wrong.

The 'Lion Head' looks to have had a bad shave as one side of the beard has been cropped (pic 1) , also the 'fitting holes' on the back (pic 2) are empty ?

I have two RBL "Life Member" badges , a 1972 'old lion head' (pic 3) and a 1987 'new lion head' (pic 4) 'fitting holes' showing attachments (pic 5) , the badge for sale appears to be an amalgamation of the two others.

I think the seller has picked up a 'collection' and doesn't know that one badge was a 'fantasy' item.

Any opinions ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Life Old F.jpg (57.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Life Old R.jpg (53.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg RBL Life Member old lion.jpg (110.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Life New 2.jpg (58.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Life New R.jpg (52.7 KB, 3 views)

Old 04-01-21, 09:05 AM

Hi Mike and any other BL fans (of which I am one!)

Here is one that rattled loose from a dark corner! Mike, we've discussed the BL Cubs and you gave me some great gen on them so I'm guessing that this is their worthy successor.

It must post-date 1953 as I think on the label Gaunt are maker's to HM The Queen.

The "Y" prefix is clearly for "Youth", or "yoof" as an English friend calls them.

Like to put a vague date on it? Are they still going?

PS I also unearthed a BL WS medal that might be of interest. Just got to get it in front of the camera!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blyouthclub.jpg (35.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg blyouthclub1.jpg (34.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-01-21, 09:31 AM

Found this on-line :
"Youth membership dates back to between the wars when the British Legion was affiliated to the Scout movement but Youth Club membership had begun in the late 1960s when Legion branches formed Youth Clubs."

I personally think that late 1950's - early 1960's is more probable.

There are two versions of the British Legion badge , one has YOUTH and the other YOUTH CLUB.

NB. I think the numbering of badges and use of the 'Y' prefix ceased when RBL badges were introduced.

There are three versions of the Royal British Legion badge , YOUTH , YOUTH CLUB and the current one shown below.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Youth.jpg (28.7 KB, 6 views)

Old 04-01-21, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Found this on-line :
"Youth membership dates back to between the wars when the British Legion was affiliated to the Scout movement but Youth Club membership had begun in the late 1960s when Legion branches formed Youth Clubs."

I personally think that late 1950's - early 1960's is more probable.
Found a mention on National Archives of a poster :

"Dance with Vince Newman and the Veltones at British Legion Youth Club, Harbour Pavilion, North Berwick".

It is dated 6 November 1953 .

Old 04-01-21, 08:47 PM

Hi Mike

Thanks again. As always, the source of really useful gen!
Old 12-01-21, 12:25 PM

Default British Legion Gold Badge - Update

Latest addition to my collection is a nice small 1970 Gaunt 'British Legion' with pin fitting. Picked up for a very fair price on-line (not eBay).

The small badge was introduced in 1946 and originally did not have a member number automatically stamped on it. Post 1952 gold badges are engraved with a unique identification number prefixed with a letter "G" that identifies the person who the badge has been awarded to.

The Royal British Legion version was introduced in 1972 and the newer style of Gold Badge was introduced in 1987 after the demise of J.R.Gaunt & Sons and when Premier Badges won the new contract.

1. 1950 British Legion Gaunt badge with button hole fitting , hallmarked but no member number.

2. 1970 British Legion Gaunt badge with pin fitting , hallmarked with member number G6407.

3. 1977 Royal British Legion Gaunt badge with pin fitting , hallmarked with member number G9090.

4. 1987 Royal British Legion Premier Badges (PB Ltd.) badge , hallmarked with member number G14024.

NB. One point that can cause confusion is the numbering system. It is not the last 4 (or 5) digits of the actual membership number , is it a a "unique identification number" prefixed with a letter "G" that identifies the person who the badge has been awarded to.

Post 1952 the awarding of 'Gold Badges' had to be approved by the National Chairman or Vice Chairman , so a record should exist of who received the badge which would possibly include their membership number and badge number.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gold (no member number ) 1950's.jpg (64.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Gold 6407 F.jpg (111.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Gold 9090 (1977) F.jpg (44.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Gold 14024 (1987) F.jpg (67.3 KB, 4 views)

Old 16-01-21, 09:10 AM

Hi Mike

Fascinating! I think I may have a badge with a "G" number and had always wondered what it meant. Have put my hand on a small 9ct badge that is unnumbered, Gaunt marked with a capital "B" hallmark (can't find this one for the period that would fit!) and contained in a small cardboard box.

An older hand has scrawled "Legion Gold Badge" on the top and then "H J S" on the bottom of the box.

A couple of others to check out when I find them!
Old 16-01-21, 09:26 AM

Always in the last box you look in!

Just found a Gaunt example numbered "G 5504" with the date letter for 1967-68 and a button hole fitting.

No helpful little cardboard box with initials on it this time!
Old 16-01-21, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Have put my hand on a small 9ct badge that is unnumbered, Gaunt marked with a capital "B" hallmark (can't find this one for the period that would fit!) and contained in a small cardboard box.

An older hand has scrawled "Legion Gold Badge" on the top and then "H J S" on the bottom of the box.
An unnumbered Gaunt British Legion badge with a capital "B" hallmark could possibly be from 1951/1952 , does it have the Birmingham (anchor) mark ?

I'm guessing that the letters on the bottom of the box could be the members initials .

Spotted this one (on a card) on eBay and assumed it was a Gold badge until I checked the photo of the back of the badge , no number or hallmark.

It looks like someone has put a basic badge on a card which originally held a Gold one. I have now got into the habit of asking sellers for a rear photo of badges to check fittings/manufacturer/numbers etc.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg G9784.jpg (60.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg G9784 R.jpg (49.3 KB, 6 views)