British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-03-08, 05:34 PM

Default Royal Yacht Shoulder Titles Queens Crown

Shown here are some shoulder titles worn by Royal Marines serving on the Royal Yacht before she was paid off in December 1997.
L-R
Gold on Blue, Dress Blues
Gold on Green, Lovat Dress
Bottom
Blue on White, Worn on Khaki Drill shirts
Red on Blue, Blue shirt
Gold on Scarlet Mess Dress (Missing)
The bottom Blue on White is a earlier pattern
These badges except for Lovat Dress can also be found with a King's Crown.

John

Last edited by stonehouse boy; 28-03-08 at 07:51 PM.
Old 15-06-08, 07:40 PM

Certainly the bottom 3 are nothing to do with the RM,the white badges are for AWD,or No8 dress which is now No4 dress.The red one is for a No2 Suit.The gold one is for the No1 Suit.RM aboard the yacht were Bandies and not front line RMs.
Old 16-06-08, 07:56 AM

Hi Andym,
When the Royal Yacht was in service she carried a small detachment of Royal Marines and the band of the Royal Marines.
On page 212 of the book The Royal Marines Pictorial History 1664-1987 by Peter C Smith and Derek Oakley you will see a picture of members of the band
and detachment clearly wearing Blue on White shoulder titles.
They are dressed in KD shirts and shorts and wearing corp belts, also Peter C Smith wrote a book called Per Mare Per Terram a History of the Royal Marines.
On page 128 he shows a case of badges worn by the Royal Marines this picture was taken at the Royal Marines Museum, and also shows clearly a Red on Black shoulder title worn by ranks serving on the Royal Yacht.

John
Old 24-06-08, 11:11 AM

Deleted

Last edited by stonehouse boy; 08-09-16 at 05:31 PM.
Old 30-09-09, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Certainly the bottom 3 are nothing to do with the RM,the white badges are for AWD,or No8 dress which is now No4 dress.The red one is for a No2 Suit.The gold one is for the No1 Suit.RM aboard the yacht were Bandies and not front line RMs.
A bit of an old thread but it caught my eye as I was browsing!

I have to aggree with Stonehouse boy, or at least with most of it!

The gold on black bullion badge was worn by Royal Marines on their No 1 blues uniform. It was not worn by the Royal Navy

Royal Navy sailors wore a white on black title that matched all their other rank and trade badges on their No 1 and 2 uniforms. their uniforms had a bow at the back of their tunics!.

The blue on white title was worn on the RM stone shirt and RN tropical white uniform, I have Never seen it worn on No 8 Action Working dress!.

The lower other version of the blue on white title is actually one that was worn on the centre chest on the naval ratings White Front.

The Red on Black badge was worn on the khaki woolly pully (or jersey, combat heavy) by RM bandsmen in place of the Royal Marines Band title. (the RM Commando detachment wore Royal Marines Commando titles)

The Gold on Lovat was worn on the RM lovat tunic by RM bandsmen

No2 and 3 dress with red badges were never worn by naval ratings while serving on the Yacht!

Most of the variations are worn today but changed to the words Royal Band.
Old 30-09-09, 08:51 PM

Hello Sailorbear,
Are you saying the Royal Navy do not wear Gold on Bullion Royal Yacht shoulder titles or trade badges. I have a copy of the the naval stores price list fom the late 1980's early 90's for Royal Marines badges and it has Royal Yacht, Gold on Blue and Royal Yacht, Red on Blue and it states also worn by naval ratings printed along side.
And on dress regulations for the Royal Yacht it states dress for No 2J, WO's
to wear Gold Royal Yacht Flash only.

The lower shoulder title Blue on White that you say is worn on a naval front
is also clearly seen being worn by a Sgt of the Royal Marines detachment on his stone shirt in the mess in 1977 aboard the Royal Yacht.
He has this title with para wings below and his Sgt chevrons below that and I would have thought if he is wearing this shoulder title and Gold on Blue for his number 1s he would also wear the Gold on Green for his lovats and not just the band.
This picture can be seen in the book The Royal Marines Pictorial History 1664-1987 page 212.
There is also a picture of a RM Bugler wearing the other style Blue on White title in the book A LIFE ON THE OCEAN WAVE BY John Trendell page 99.
John
Old 01-10-09, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehouse boy View Post
Hello Sailorbear,
Are you saying the Royal Navy do not wear Gold on Bullion Royal Yacht shoulder titles or trade badges. I have a copy of the the naval stores price list fom the late 1980's early 90's for Royal Marines badges and it has Royal Yacht, Gold on Blue and Royal Yacht, Red on Blue and it states also worn by naval ratings printed along side.
And on dress regulations for the Royal Yacht it states dress for No 2J, WO's
to wear Gold Royal Yacht Flash only.

The lower shoulder title Blue on White that you say is worn on a naval front
is also clearly seen being worn by a Sgt of the Royal Marines detachment on his stone shirt in the mess in 1977 aboard the Royal Yacht.
He has this title with para wings below and his Sgt chevrons below that and I would have thought if he is wearing this shoulder title and Gold on Blue for his number 1s he would also wear the Gold on Green for his lovats and not just the band.

This picture can be seen in the book The Royal Marines Pictorial History 1664-1987 page 212.
There is also a picture of a RM Bugler wearing the other style Blue on White title in the book A LIFE ON THE OCEAN WAVE BY John Trendell page 99.
John
Then I must stand most humbly corrected, though what I said about the white front badge is correct but wont dispute it was worn on the stone shirt too!. but ten is'nt that why we are on here, to learn and share?
Old 01-10-09, 02:45 PM

Hi Sailorbear,
To learn and to share is why I joined this forum and I've put a few bits from my own collection on the forum to share and to open it up for discussion.
It also makes the posts more interesting when others share their knowledge
and give helpful advice.
Thanks you for your comments.
John
Old 06-10-09, 08:42 PM

The Royal Yacht had it's own dress code, just to clarify, the ROYAL(CROWN)YACHT was worn on the upper right shoulder. Bullion on blue/black for No1 Dress with a projecting crown similar to a senior rates cap badge crown i.e. they weren't flat. No 2 dress was white on blue/black serge, trade badges were the same, red on blue were not worn by RN on the Yacht. Embroidered blue on white was worn on No6 dress. And yes the same badge was worn on the white front though as I remember this was directly embroidered on the front.

Another interesting anomally is that is that class 2 uniform differed from the fleet in that the jumper was worn tucked into the trousers and the trousers had a black silk bow at the back (all tailored of course). Plimsoles were the footwear around the Yacht, can't have 'rounds' waking Her Maj with great big steaming bats. I also believe that only white overalls were worn by the engineering branch.

LSGC stripes in white on serge were also made in a unique fashion and easy to see if genuine.

This RN only NOT Booties.

Last edited by Jim Maclean; 08-10-09 at 07:30 PM.