British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-07-12, 08:34 PM

Default Parachute wings

In the past you have given me very sound advice on my Canadian para. wings. Please cast your eyes over this wing and give me all the info. on it, thanks, John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg para wings. boys and trish 043.jpg (56.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg para wings. boys and trish 044.jpg (58.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 28-07-12, 12:00 AM

Supposedly this style of Canadian paratrooper wing was worn during and after WW2. Most of the ones you come across have a dark color cloth backing material. This one has a white color cloth backing material which is not as common. There is another thread that indicates that this style wing with white backing material indicates WW2. Based on your photographs this wing has a flat profile and was never padded. So I have always wondered why there is added stitching between the sides of the parachute risers and the shoulders of the wing. I usally see this extra stitching on post war flat profile wings or WW2 era padded wings. These padded wings are made by simply taking a flat profile wing and adding material underneath. Another thing I noticed was the wings themselves are almost straight across (parallel to the ground) instead of being curled upward in a V shape from the maple leaf. I feel that the straighter wings are indicative of WW2 era wings. However I don't think you can say for certain that this wing is WW2 or post WW2 as it could be either. I know this didn't answer your question but there you have it.

Last edited by Tonomachi; 28-07-12 at 12:05 AM.
Old 30-07-12, 03:25 PM

Default Canadian Para wings

Thank you for your reply, I suppose that the jury is out on this one, John.