British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-08-20, 11:59 PM

I agree with everything that Keith has said. Many of us have had direct family members serve especially in WW1 and 2. It's irrelevant to me what gongs they were awarded because that's not why they volunteered to go and fight. I'm just proud they had the courage to do it.

Once the cat was out of the bag in regard to retrospective awards it was never going to go back because even if it was stopped there's been so many awards already awarded.
The Sheean case shows that not only will politicians do an about turn (never surprised by what they do) but the tribunal will also do that. If the tribunal has said that Sheean shouldn't get the VC how could it then say seven years later than he should? What new evidence was there if any that made them change their minds? My reading of their findings shows there wasn't. Sheean's case was supported by the Navy and various naval organizations which is hardly surprising since they've wanted a VC to the navy for decades. The family had also lobbied for decades for a VC to be awarded. I guess it's a case of the squeaky wheel gets the most grease.
In regard to interviewing survivors in the 80's, while I'm not saying they aren't telling the truth, they're telling what they remember and memory is a very frail thing, especially over that expanse of time. Eye witness accounts written down in the 40's is far more reliable.

Last edited by lifeochil; 15-08-20 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-09-20, 04:05 PM

I've given this gallantry matter some more thought. I've known some extraordinary people in my time and the quip about '1 percenters' came to mind. Heraclitus put it best about those who go to war.

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

It seems to me that many many of the heroes we most admire, did what they did so that others got to come back home. THOSE are the 1 Percenters, those are the real Warriors.

Lest we EVER forget

Mark Corcoran
https://charliebravobooks.com/
Co Author of: “Metal Uniform Embellishments of the Australian Army” Post 1953 (the 'QEII' era)
Vol 1: Insignia for Corps and Schools Etc and Vol 2: Insignia for Units and Regiments.
Old 02-09-20, 10:35 PM

Very well put Mark.

Phil.
Old 02-09-20, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Corcoran View Post
I've given this gallantry matter some more thought. I've known some extraordinary people in my time and the quip about '1 percenters' came to mind. Heraclitus put it best about those who go to war.

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

It seems to me that many many of the heroes we most admire, did what they did so that others got to come back home. THOSE are the 1 Percenters, those are the real Warriors.

Lest we EVER forget

Mark Corcoran
https://charliebravobooks.com/
Co Author of: “Metal Uniform Embellishments of the Australian Army” Post 1953 (the 'QEII' era)
Vol 1: Insignia for Corps and Schools Etc and Vol 2: Insignia for Units and Regiments.
Their courage is not what's questioned.