British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-06-22, 07:25 PM

Default Compulsory Drugs Testing Team TRF

I have been trying to determine just who would wear this TRF, and have found nothing except when and how drug testing is done. My reason for asking is because I have one of them but am not sure which collection it belongs in.

Photo credit: Jerry Murphy Collection

Does anyone have any pictures of the TRF being worn?

Thanks,

Terry
Old 28-06-22, 08:51 PM

Blimey, they've got a TRF now!
Compulsory drugs testing came into the Armed forces in the 90's.
Long and short of it, they walked into the camp, a mixed batch of Army Units if I remember, nobody in camp was allowed to leave, you then had to all get tested, pee in a tube, take it to the table, get it registered, get a nightclub style stamp on your hand. I once had to be a pee monitor, basically stand in the toilet, make sure no one pee's in a tube for someone else, and receive endless banter and abuse, happy days!
Chris
Old 28-06-22, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Blimey, they've got a TRF now!
Compulsory drugs testing came into the Armed forces in the 90's.
Long and short of it, they walked into the camp, a mixed batch of Army Units if I remember, nobody in camp was allowed to leave, you then had to all get tested, pee in a tube, take it to the table, get it registered, get a nightclub style stamp on your hand. I once had to be a pee monitor, basically stand in the toilet, make sure no one pee's in a tube for someone else, and receive endless banter and abuse, happy days!
Chris
Yes we had one in London. CDT team turns up, the whole battalion had to muster in the gym. From Commanding Officer downwards, for the dreaded piss test. Failing of the said test, the individual disappeared instantly, very strange. We lost a few chaps on one visit.
Andy
Old 28-06-22, 11:36 PM

Very interesting stories gentleman. After I retired and worked part time driving cars for an auto auction, if you were involved in any kind of accident you had to go get drug tested due to insurance. Sadly, the clinic who did the drug test always treated you like you were dedicated addict, and I always resented that.

OK, so the folks that showed up, do you know what unit/regiment/corps/etc. they were form? Sounds like they didn't have the patch back then.

A little FYI funny. Often in my numerous searches online, I would get hits for rehab and such!!! Now just how you get that out of asking what units wore the drug testing patch is beyond me!!!

Thanks guys,

Terry
Old 29-06-22, 04:53 AM

if I remember rightly there were 3 variants of this patch i.e. lighter, darker etc
engr9266

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 29-06-22, 05:42 AM

I have no idea how they were selected/organised but my recolection is that CDT team members were from a mix of cap badges, and all three services.

I do remember an argument with an infantry WO2 (PWRR?) from one about my team being crashed out on an operational shout and thus breaking the cordon. He was very quickly brought back down to earth by the 2* who had ordered the shout and who was wandering around seeing how things were going...
Old 29-06-22, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
OK, so the folks that showed up, do you know what unit/regiment/corps/etc. they were form?
They would have been recruited/employed from all three services , of any trade and the list of "Essential competencies" is basically :
  • Well-developed interpersonal skills, oral and written communications skills, who can deliver with authority.
  • Strong IT skills (Microsoft Office, MOD Net, Skype, Microsoft Teams, Word, Excel, SharePoint and JPA).
  • Must hold a full driving licence.

This is taken from a vacancy advert :

Quote:
A vacancy has arisen for a Sergeant – Any Trade – to serve as SNCO Compulsory Drugs Testing 2 (SNCO CDT 2) at RAF Wittering (position is parented by RAF Wittering; however, falls under the control of Air Personnel Casework (APC) at HQ Air Cmd)
https://www.findforcesjobs.mod.gov.u...CO-CDT-2/en-GB

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 29-06-22, 03:48 PM

Default Armed Forces CDT Team Formation Badge

As said the Armed Forces Compulsory Drug Testing Team Formation Badge (not a TRF) could be worn on the left arm below the Union Flag by a member of any service with any cap badge. That said probably not a large number of individuals in total.

I have this example:

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 63A61FAD-E5AD-4BDF-B9F0-60BA361BBB41.jpeg (28.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 29-06-22, 04:08 PM

Gentlemen, Thank you all for he great information. Have learned a lot.

Jerry, yes I do know, from your info that there are three and have saved the pictures you sent me of them. A couple of them do seem pretty close, so I have actually been studying them to better grasp the differences. and to see which one is he one I have.

Tim, that is a very unique and nice patch. First time I have seen one like it. (see, I have learned and did not call it a TRF )

I suspect that these fellows were probably not too popular!

Thanks again!

Terry