British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-09-16, 03:22 AM
Banned

All,

From the few members who have taken the time to make reasonable rational and well argued comment on this thread regarding the matter of copy badges (shame not every contributor with something to say about copy badge is as eloquent and well mannered resulting in them hiding behind their keyboard and tapping out offensive aggressive posts). I wish more of the non posting fence sitters would bother to make comment in order to get a better feel across the Forum members as to wherever the majority feel copy badges are acceptable or not within the hobby, however based on those members comments that have made the effort to post there seems to be a consensus that copies should not be offered for sale on here, as previously said I respect the opinions of others and as it would seem I'm outnumbered on this issue having said I bit I will call it a day and bow out.

FMT600

Last edited by FMT600; 07-09-16 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-09-16, 06:50 AM

I got into trouble from certain members a couple of years ago when I asked if anyone had for sale any repro pre-1880 numbered regimentaI infantry badges.
In many years of collecting I have had only three 'genuine' ones, and my complete collection now numbers ONE. At my age, and not being a millionaire, I have no chance of collecting all 109. However, I appreciated the chance to buy 80 odd repros because I have always admired the heraldry. 25 gaps now to fill.
No one tried to deceive me, the price was right, and I don't have to apologise for liking them.
Hugh King told me years ago that the majority of so-called genuine early Inf badges are in fact very old repros. Apparently they have been reproduced for well over 100 years.
Old 07-09-16, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
I got into trouble from certain members a couple of years ago when I asked if anyone had for sale any repro pre-1880 numbered regimentaI infantry badges.
In many years of collecting I have had only three 'genuine' ones, and my complete collection now numbers ONE. At my age, and not being a millionaire, I have no chance of collecting all 109. However, I appreciated the chance to buy 80 odd repros because I have always admired the heraldry. 25 gaps now to fill.
No one tried to deceive me, the price was right, and I don't have to apologise for liking them.
Hugh King told me years ago that the majority of so-called genuine early Inf badges are in fact very old repros. Apparently they have been reproduced for well over 100 years.
I completely agree and would never pay the 'genuine' price for a light infantry glengarry badge as I don't know the difference between fake and original - and have never had a satisfactory explanation of what a real one should look like.
Old 07-09-16, 07:50 AM

I don't normally take part in threads of this nature but it seems to me that there isn't at present a forum rule which says you can't sell fakes on here.

If a forum member is unhappy with something on the forum a polite PM to Mike, Alan or Bill should be their response, not impolite posts with no basis in "forum law".

I do buy fake badges to study and compare with original badges, I also buy them as space fillers for badges I will never be able to afford, but I think selling badges using the term "space filler" when a badge is clearly a fake is not in the spirit of the forum, after all some people would read the term space filler as a badge with damage or which has a replaced slider or lug.

IMHO Rob

Last edited by Rob Miller; 07-09-16 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-09-16, 03:38 PM

we unfortunately have no control over the outside world, but we do have control over the Forum.
Show them,
discuss them,
but don't sell them here.

And if you can't resist the urge to recirculate them, invest a couple of pounds in a hammer and a set of letter punches and mark them as copies.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/letter-punches-6mm

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 07-09-16, 03:52 PM

Having thought about this, I think there should be no fakes sold here. Obviously there may be some items that have doubts about them which should be given the benefit of being allowed. I also think gutter language should be abhorred, the world outside this forum is full of foul mouthed guttersnipes, I don't want to read this sort of stuff on here.
Old 07-09-16, 05:04 PM

I also dislike the way some talk brutally bluntly on the forum-and my last post was an attempt to 'tactfully' point that out. I also agree we should attempt to put up for sale items thought to be genuine. If an item is posted and the general opinion is that it is no good it would be best for the seller to remove it and if they wish advertise it elseware- hopefully stating doubts that the item is genuine. Regards, Paul.
Old 07-09-16, 05:51 PM

All of the items have been removed but they did spark a lot of discussion which is what Fora are for.
Old 07-09-16, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampwick View Post
All of the items have been removed but they did spark a lot of discussion which is what Fora are for.
Yep, I agree with your comment. I do however believe that you acted in good faith and although I don't like the sale of fakes, there was no wrong intent. If it is to be banned, it should be brought up with the moderators and a decision for them to make, yay or nay.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 08-09-16, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT600 View Post
All,

From the few members who have taken the time to make reasonable rational and well argued comment on this thread regarding the matter of copy badges (shame not every contributor with something to say about copy badge is as eloquent and well mannered resulting in them hiding behind their keyboard and tapping out offensive aggressive posts). I wish more of the non posting fence sitters would bother to make comment in order to get a better feel across the Forum members as to wherever the majority feel copy badges are acceptable or not within the hobby, however based on those members comments that have made the effort to post there seems to be a consensus that copies should not be offered for sale on here, as previously said I respect the opinions of others and as it would seem I'm outnumbered on this issue having said I bit I will call it a day and bow out.

FMT600
I agree. Copies should not be sold here. Regards Andrew
Old 10-09-16, 05:51 PM

Default Fakes Copies

I hope i do not offend anyone with my opinion here but would like to add these few comments. I have collected militaria since about 9 years old, mainly due to my Grandfather and relatives who brought stuff back from both wars. I collected not to amass a valuable original collection but to have, a record of a particular Unit Regiment ship or whatever i was ignorant of the copy controversy,so probably have fakes but the badge is still an important memento to me, however since coming on this site I have seen a different side to collecting and realise that you are all very honest genuine collectors protecting your hobby. I on the other hand do not see the difference between a Northumberland Fusilier cap badge and a 10th Hussar cap badge both very different in value but both the same value in the men who wore them.If I was starting now I could afford an NF badge but not the Hussar badge I would buy a copy Hussar badge just to have the badge. I feel that i am struggling to put my point across here but perhaps you may see the side of a completely ignorant and honest collector. I would like to add that without sounding like a hypocrite I despise people who knowingly sell the fakes as genuine.
arty
Old 11-09-16, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTY View Post
I hope i do not offend anyone with my opinion here but would like to add these few comments. I have collected militaria since about 9 years old, mainly due to my Grandfather and relatives who brought stuff back from both wars. I collected not to amass a valuable original collection but to have, a record of a particular Unit Regiment ship or whatever i was ignorant of the copy controversy,so probably have fakes but the badge is still an important memento to me, however since coming on this site I have seen a different side to collecting and realise that you are all very honest genuine collectors protecting your hobby. I on the other hand do not see the difference between a Northumberland Fusilier cap badge and a 10th Hussar cap badge both very different in value but both the same value in the men who wore them.If I was starting now I could afford an NF badge but not the Hussar badge I would buy a copy Hussar badge just to have the badge. I feel that i am struggling to put my point across here but perhaps you may see the side of a completely ignorant and honest collector. I would like to add that without sounding like a hypocrite I despise people who knowingly sell the fakes as genuine.
arty
Hi Arty, I understand your point of view. I however won't have fake badges, gap fillers etc. in my collection. I also started collecting with my Grandfathers badges. They are not worth much, but mean much to me. As far as fakes go, if I find one in my collection, I always remove it and have a box that I call "lesson learned". I use these to compare against badges in the future. I don't move them on. To the best of my knowledge all the badges in my collection are 100%. I would rather have nothing than a fake. All of us are different, but that is how I am. Have a grand day and I hope you pick up some good badges. Andrew
Old 11-09-16, 07:37 AM

I agree, I too, would rather do without a particular item, unless it is original, a plate or badge is like any other antique, you want it to be the real thing, there seems no point whatsoever otherwise.
The manufacture of fakes is one thing, but, the people who deliberately peddle them on as something they are not sicken me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi Arty, I understand your point of view. I however won't have fake badges, gap fillers etc. in my collection. I also started collecting with my Grandfathers badges. They are not worth much, but mean much to me. As far as fakes go, if I find one in my collection, I always remove it and have a box that I call "lesson learned". I use these to compare against badges in the future. I don't move them on. To the best of my knowledge all the badges in my collection are 100%. I would rather have nothing than a fake. All of us are different, but that is how I am. Have a grand day and I hope you pick up some good badges. Andrew
Old 11-09-16, 08:28 AM

If I may add one point my grandfather did not claim his WW1 medals so I am unable to claim his with name and rank consequently I bought copies of what he was entitled to and I am as proud of those medals as I am of his WW2 medal entitlement,please dont think I am trying to justify fakes as I feel the same about the fakers as your good selves. Thanks for listening and your replies. I have taken the liberty to attach his medals hope you dont mind.
Arty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandas medals.jpg (52.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 15-01-17, 01:28 AM

As I almost complete my searching /reading of 179 pages in the General British Forum and this being my 10th post here since first joining a few days ago, I'll offer a newcomer's thoughts on the issue, if I may be allowed.

I have to side with those members that feel the forum is NOT a place to market or sell fakes/reproductions/questionable anomalies or whatever else you want to call them.

I understand, when browsing venues such as Ebay, or even dealer's site, they have a business purpose of selling and making money. I understand, it's buyer beware and you need to be knowledgeable in what you're purchasing.

I join forums to learn, ask questions, share information and knowledge with like-minded individuals and to enjoy a hobby that has interested me for a lifetime. What I hate to see but continue to see in various forums are those who start out building a reputation as a respected member of a forum, then start using the forum as a marketplace to make money off the other members.

Newer members join and think, hey this person has xxxxx posts, so he must be legit and trustworthy.

I understand, many use past purchases to sell items to fund future items for their collections, no problem with that but many use the forum as a money making venture and it bothers me. What bothers me more, is that some of these guys after establishing themselves, start to abuse their reputation and start passing off questionable pieces and many get away with it or get a blind eye turned at what they are doing altogether. I could embarrass a number of other forums here but I won't. Many have dedicated dealers on admin staff as well and that can also lead to conflicts of interest, though many are collectors, so....they're in.

I don't know anyone here yet, so I have no dog in this particular fight or even know the item that started the thread here but, time has shown, once it starts it never ends and only gets worse. Collecting is a minefield, it doesn't need to be a minefield on the forum IMHO.

Tim