British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-08-16, 04:06 AM

Default Shill bidding

How does one know if an ebay dealer has put in a shill bid..?

I have bid on an item which is slowly being bid up 2 GBP at a time and shown as 'private listing' ...in another post a member had pointed out a similar practice by dealers ...how does one know ? Do I send a message to the dealer pointing this out ....
Old 24-08-16, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post

I have bid on an item which is slowly being bid up 2 GBP at a time and shown as 'private listing' ...in another post a member had pointed out a similar practice by dealers ...how does one know ? Do I send a message to the dealer pointing this out ....
Difficult. Personally I am loath to put a bid on an item where the seller has set up his sale as a "private" auction. I regularly sell on eBay and I can't for the life of me understand why eBay have such a facility. I've never had any desire to use it and can't think of an occasion when I would need to. So, what are they trying to hide? In fairness to your particular dealer, there are individuals who are inveterate "nibblers" and simply put repeat small bids on (I think) because they have nothing else to amuse themselves with.

Dave.
Old 24-08-16, 06:17 AM

I've just noticed that all the bids on the items put up by the bidder are by private listed bidders ....
Old 24-08-16, 06:29 AM

I should buy elsewhere if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post

Old 24-08-16, 06:33 AM

The answer is to put on the max bid you are prepared to pay then leave it until end of auction and not worry about it. Everything has a different value to different people but we all generally have a limit so shill bidding or not you either get it for the price you want to pay or not.

regards

Mark
Old 24-08-16, 06:38 AM

Go to his feedback and look at his recent auctions.
If you find a similar pattern, then you have a shill bidding seller.
It is possible to withdraw a bid.
Old 24-08-16, 09:21 AM

Let them win and you will likely get a second chance offer sent. I ignore them when they do and wait for it to be relisted. Then only snipe bid on it.
Old 24-08-16, 09:38 AM

Thanks all,
I will wait and see. Not a must-have item and I have put the maximum I am willing to pay.. so will not lose sleep either way..
Old 24-08-16, 09:54 AM

Default Dodgy bids

If I see a "private listing" I tend to steer clear, it's open to shill bidding, but if I desperately need the item I put in a maximum bid, if I get it ok, if not who cares . . !

Rob
Old 24-08-16, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH331 View Post
The answer is to put on the max bid you are prepared to pay then leave it until end of auction and not worry about it. Everything has a different value to different people but we all generally have a limit so shill bidding or not you either get it for the price you want to pay or not.

regards

Mark
best bit of advice ever - I used to get so wound up chasing bids now I put one bid on if i win I win make a calm reasonable judgment what your willing to pay then leave it .
Old 24-08-16, 12:21 PM

I have noticed this recently on a number of auctions that have interested me. Private listings or bidders are a red flag for me. I will go in and look at the bidders recent bids particularly with this seller and will also look at the bid retractions. It is curious that there seems to be a correlation. In the many years in which I have used eBay not once have I retracted a bid. Certain individuals have numerous retractions and within a shorter history. This is a signpost to me that something is a miss.
Old 24-08-16, 01:55 PM

What is shill bidding?
Old 24-08-16, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

When the seller of an auction item bids on his own item to drive the price up using a second ebay account.
Old 24-08-16, 02:59 PM

It is actually not illegal in sales of property ( i.e. buildings and Land ) by public auction, when the vendor in the terms and conditions of the sale, reserves the right himself, or through his agent , to bid up to the reserve price.

Now whether you take the view that that is morally wrong or not is another matter.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 24-08-16, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
When the seller of an auction item bids on his own item to drive the price up using a second ebay account.
I sell items on ebay for other people, but if I want them for myself I have to bid like everyone else, so as a fair price is payed to the owner.