British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-09-15, 08:20 AM

You can easily (but for a cost) obtain his service records. Start here: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...es/search.aspx

But the short answer is that if he was entitled to a Star he was entitled to a Victory Medal.

And P&S certainly does not refer to Pip & Squeak!! I've no idea what it does refer to but no that ...

Eddie
Old 20-09-15, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

The Silver War Badge was issued to Canadians; it was also named the 1916 Class A badge. See R. Johnson, Canadian War Service Badges 1914-1954. A full section is devoted to these badges.
(My grandfather served with the 248th Bn and 4 CMRR and he was invalided home and discharged due to his wounds. I have his SWB.)
Old 20-09-15, 12:25 PM

Now that I am home, I can post properly. The lads above have replied in regards to the SWB. Which in Canada is also known as the Army Class "B" service badge, awarded to those men who served in the U.K. or France and Flanders, are were discharged due to age, wounds or sickness. As he was discharged Medically Unfit prior to the end of the war, I would expect him to have the Class B badge, but that is not what I planned to answer.

Now for what I intended to answer..... Here is what is considered his Medals index Card. It shows in the upper right hand corner a B and a V. Both have a blue stroke through them, indicating he was awarded these two medals, also it is normal (although not marked in this case) to see the Date of Service filled in, this indicates the date he first entered France. If the date was prior to 1916, he is entitled to the 14-15 Star, however, unlike a British MIC, there is no indication on the Canadian cards that it was issued, you have to go by the date of service.

First is his MIC ( I didn't bother with the reverse of the card which has the date of March 8, 1921 the date his medals were dispatched to him. , second is his Application for War service Badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beatie mic (Custom).jpg (41.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg beatie srvice badge (Custom).jpg (48.2 KB, 5 views)

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 20-09-15, 12:26 PM

SBW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggins View Post
No I don't have my answer. I do understand different criteria has been used by different parts of the empire.

I never referred to a SBW. Canadians were not awarded them. They received a Class A War services Pin. As I mentioned. My question centered around the "P and S" notation on his file as well as on the medals dispatch to his widow. I know the common reference, and where it came form. It would be interesting if such reference made in to official records.
Old 20-09-15, 12:28 PM

I agree, the nicknames "Pip" and "Squeak" would not have made it on to any official documentation I shouldn't think.