British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-03-20, 05:21 PM

Default Help with badge identification

I have been given a naval cap of Capt McMillan and I'm trying to research the history behind it. Does anyone recognise the cap badge insignia?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captin's hat insignia.jpg (69.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 10-03-20, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hello goodoldgrandad, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 10-03-20, 06:30 PM

Merchant Navy, British and Commonwealth Shipping Line cap badge.
Old 10-03-20, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the information - but now need some clarification if possible. I was told on being given the cap that Capt McMillan served in the Royal Navy until he retired (and I assumed that this was his RN cap during service). I am therefore wondering if the centre insignia has been added when he left the RN and perhaps started a new career in the Merchant Navy? Can anyone advise please if the cap itself is RN issue? Thanks
Old 12-03-20, 06:44 PM

Not an expert but Royal Navy headdress badges (as opposed to cap tallies) carry the relevant monarch's crown ie Kings Crown or Queens Crown not the coronet seen in your badge. Plenty of images on the internet to see what I mean. All the best Mike

A broad selection here: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...CQQsAR6BAgKEAE
Old 12-03-20, 07:01 PM

Can you show photos of the inside of the cap, any labels and markings etc?

The badge is complete and not interfered with. A RN officer badge would be of much better quality and, as stated above, would have a KC/QC not the merchant coronet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user4624_pic50589_1315932705.jpg (72.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-03-20, 07:22 PM

The peak of the cap is certainly that worn by Captain of the Royal Navy. The Merchant Navy peak is different.

Royal Navy on the left, Merchant Navy on the right.

Last edited by Nozzer; 16-11-21 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-03-20, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the other information. Here is a picture of the inside, but it is worn. The name is written in pen on the underside of the inner leather rim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captin's hat inside (small).jpg (55.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 13-03-20, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
The peak of the cap is certainly that worn by Captain of the Royal Navy. The Merchant Navy peak is different.

Royal Navy on the left, Merchant Navy on the right.
Sorry Nozzer, that is not correct. I have seen plenty of merchant navy caps identical to the RN cap, in fact, the one you have shown is the first one I have seen like that. The MN really doesn't have a standard unless a specific company has their own dress regulation, so you get a lot of variation.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 13-03-20, 03:48 PM

Slightly clearer photos of the inside cap label. Just to confirm the badge/band is not attached to the cap itself. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captin's hat inside label.jpg (98.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Captin's hat inside label1.jpg (36.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 13-03-20, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Sorry Nozzer, that is not correct. I have seen plenty of merchant navy caps identical to the RN cap, in fact, the one you have shown is the first one I have seen like that. The MN really doesn't have a standard unless a specific company has their own dress regulation, so you get a lot of variation.
Cheers,
Alex
Hi Alex,

Thank you for bringing this up as my original post is potentially a little misleading. I Know that you are correct in what you have seen and that Merchant Navy (MN) caps can be found with the same row of oak leaves as Royal Navy (RN) caps as I have seen them myself (Cunard being one), but to say that I am not correct is not true.

I am a little surprised that you have never seen the style of peak on the Blue Funnel Line cap before as it is the Merchant Navy Uniform standard for Captains and is also worn by the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) as shown below with a standard MN cap.

Page 61 of "Heraldry of the Oceans the Garb of the Merchant Seafarer" by A Arnott shows the cap of a Captain of the British & Commonwealth with the MN Standard peak as opposed to the previous page showing a P&O cap with the type as worn by the RN. Sadly they are only drawings, but the difference is clear.

As to the cap in the opening post, I think you would need to dig in to the career of Capt. Mcmillan and see if he did serve with the British & Commonwealth Line.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Last edited by Nozzer; 16-11-21 at 10:37 PM.
Old 14-03-20, 06:00 AM

Hi Nozzer
Yes, when there are drawings, they are often slightly different, so I tend to accept a bit of artistic licence. I should have said 'not necessarily correct' though. No, I have never seen a cap with that peak and have been in the MN for over 30 years. All I have seen (including my own one) are closer to the RN caps in appearance.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 17-03-20, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldgrandad View Post
Slightly clearer photos of the inside cap label. Just to confirm the badge/band is not attached to the cap itself. Thanks
It would appear the Miller and Rayner are still trading. A little about their heritage here

https://www.miller-rayner.co.uk/heritage/

A link to their current range of caps and badges here (Including both types of peaks!)

https://www.miller-rayner.co.uk/prod...nd-cap-badges/

It might be worth contacting them and asking when they dropped the "Maysom"