British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-08-11, 11:39 PM

Question RN Badge?

The ink is still wet on my introductory post, and I am afraid I already need your expert opinion. I did look through many sources, including this forum, and spoken with a few knowledgeable fellows, but so far wasn't able get a definitive answer... So, fellow experts, here is the problem...

Being at the very beginning of the British chapter of my "MI-3D" project, I've managed to stumble upon a very trivial question: is there (or ever was) such a thing as an official RN badge?

I am aware of the Naval Crown, and the infamous "corporate" blue RN logo... However, what about a badge? Pretty much all the Commonwealth Navies have one... Any help will be much appreciated...
Old 05-08-11, 10:38 PM

I'll take it as a "NO"... Thanks anyways.
Old 05-08-11, 11:00 PM

do you mean used as a cap badge?
Old 05-08-11, 11:57 PM

I think maybe the fouled anchor as this is included in all the rank headdress badges. Also much of the designs used on sea scout and cadet badges and event logos.

Regards

Phil
Old 06-08-11, 04:01 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
I think maybe the fouled anchor as this is included in all the rank headdress badges. Also much of the designs used on sea scout and cadet badges and event logos.

Regards

Phil
Thanks, Phil. What I actually meant, was a badge similar to those of Royal Canadian Navy or Royal Australian Navy (which could be used as a cap badge, as well as a blazer badge or a lapel pin). You see, with my project I need an image to represent the major branch. So, after the lengthy research for RN, I had to create a badge of my own, combining two of the oldest naval emblems. Here is the result:

Old 06-08-11, 04:41 PM

By coincidence you have created a logo that is actually used by RN Sea Scouts. I will post a picture of it on a RN camp shirt later.

Regards

Phil
Old 06-08-11, 05:23 PM

Arrow

Quote:
By coincidence you have created a logo that is actually used by RN Sea Scouts. I will post a picture of it on a RN camp shirt later.

Regards

Phil
I knew I've already seen such combination somewhere... Thanks for clarifying!
Old 06-08-11, 09:17 PM

As promised, the attached is the logo, as used by RN recognised Sea Scouts.

Regards
Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-08-11, 01:56 AM

Quote:
As promised, the attached is the logo, as used by RN recognised Sea Scouts.

Regards
Phil
Very similar, indeed... Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-08-11, 02:02 AM

No problem. I hope I have been in some small measure helpful. I was surprised you had no other interest in answering your thread before I did.

Good luck with your project, you are welcome to PM me questions if you want to, I may be of some use.

Regards

Phil
Old 07-08-11, 03:40 AM

Arrow

Quote:
No problem. I hope I have been in some small measure helpful. I was surprised you had no other interest in answering your thread before I did.

Good luck with your project, you are welcome to PM me questions if you want to, I may be of some use.

Regards

Phil
Thanks again, and thank you very much for your kind offer of help. Every bit of information helps tremendously. It is very much appreciated, and I promise not to abuse it too much...

Oh yes, and the lack of enthusiasm answering my question here was a bit puzzling. I can already envision having a lot of fun working with British insignia, considering I've managed to hit the wall right at the beginning and, to top it up - with such a major branch as RN... Cheers.