British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-01-20, 04:10 PM

Default 96th Regiment Badge

Hi Everyone,

This came today with a few badges however its not a time period im over familiar with. Can anyone help identify if it's real or fake (im assuming fake)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5735.jpg (94.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5734.jpg (100.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5736.jpg (99.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5737.jpg (104.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 25-01-20, 04:31 PM

Very Fake.

Search 96th in militaria on ebay there is usually a dozen or more.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 25-01-20, 04:57 PM

Awful!
Old 25-01-20, 06:05 PM

instead of making a statement perhaps it would be more helpful to explain to Edelweiss why or show a photo of a/your genuine one
I an lucky enough to know mine are all genuine recently removed form the forum

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 25-01-20 at 06:10 PM.
Old 25-01-20, 06:14 PM

Quite simply, both the material used and the manufacture show it as what it actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
instead of making a statement perhaps it would be more helpful to explain to Edelweiss why
Old 25-01-20, 07:17 PM

Perhaps you or Simon could show your genuine items and point out what to look out for this may be of help to him in the future to decide on fake/real items
Old 26-01-20, 09:54 AM

I cannot speak for Simon, I dare say that he will have a number of original ninety six's, but, I'm not sure that I even have a single one, perhaps you might pick one of the genuine examples you make mention of, rather than critique other people for giving an opinion based solely upon what they can clearly see in a photograph.

In fact, given that this particular regiment is now and has been for some time, one of the most copied, I would certainly be very interested to see all your genuine examples, as I suspect Simon would too, how many variations do you have?

Quote:
instead of making a statement perhaps it would be more helpful to explain to Edelweiss why or show a photo of a/your genuine one
Old 26-01-20, 10:57 AM

RE my genuine items one from Jeff's personal collection one he kept back as according to him one of the rarest of glengarry badges others from Laurie A others from trust collection sold in early 1980's via Lt col wood All items officers and o'r have been weighed on jewellers scales and seen by jeff [letters and emails ] As same with 2 early period pouch badges As stated before not worth the effort of posting photo's
Old 26-01-20, 11:03 AM

Quote:
RE my genuine items one from Jeff's personal collection one he kept back as according to him one of the rarest of glengarry badges others from Laurie A others from trust collection sold in early 1980's via Lt col wood All items officers and o'r have been weighed on jewellers scales and seen by jeff As same with 2 early period pouch badges As stated before not worth the effort of posting photo's
I assume you are getting involved in this thread as another childish tantrum because I questioned your incorrect statement on the recent Wiltshires thread.

Your comments just make you look very silly and are not constructive or sensible.

What Frank has said is 100% correct about the construction of the fake badge.

I notice you state you feel its not worth the effort of posting photos? Yet you want Frank and I to do so?

I certainly wont be posting any photos in this instance as it would serve no purpose in relation to the multitude of fake 96th glengarries on ebay.

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-01-20, 11:16 AM

No- if you make a statement -it would be helpful to know why You may be 100 % correct in YOUR OPINION Re photo's you made a statement not me

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 26-01-20 at 11:22 AM.
Old 26-01-20, 11:31 AM

It is very interesting that the old ninety sixth is suggested to be one of the rarest badges, I have always felt that particular regiment was nothing more than a perfectly normal badge, but, one that has been copied rather more so than others, to the point, that sadly, original examples do not command a price that they really should.

Quote:
RE my genuine items one from Jeff's personal collection one he kept back as according to him one of the rarest of glengarry badges others from Laurie A others from trust collection sold in early 1980's via Lt col wood All items officers and o'r have been weighed on jewellers scales and seen by jeff [letters and emails ] As same with 2 early period pouch badges As stated before not worth the effort of posting photo's
Old 26-01-20, 11:38 AM

Were did you get that the 96 th was one of the rarest badges from ???????
Old 26-01-20, 11:40 AM

Here!

Quote:
Old 26-01-20, 11:47 AM

No -you did not
Old 26-01-20, 11:56 AM

Sorry I do not understand what you are now talking about, this thread is about a spurious ninety sixth, you very clearly stated in post four that "I am lucky enough to know mine are all genuine" and so on.