British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-11-19, 09:24 PM

Default Scottish Rifles - help needed !

I hope someone on the forum can help me. My Godson is 18 next year and he's become increasingly interested in his family's history. I've told his parents that for his present I'd put together a frame of his Great Grandfathers medals and insignia. So here's what I know: Private John Bulloch - Scottish Rifles ( I assume that's the Cameronians ? ) No. 1672. I have a photo (attached) and I have his named Victory medal. - Wounded at the Somme.

Questions:
1) Can anyone tell me what medals he was entitled to? ( Family history think it was 3 and they were split up amongst the family?
2) Would the cap badge have had a tartan backing ? ( Douglas ? )
3) Is the cap badge I'm looking for KK631 ?
4) What shoulder title would have been worn ? Blackened SR ?
5) What are the insignia on his sleeve ?

Many thanks in anticipation - and I promise to post a picture of the finished project. Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0086.jpg (32.0 KB, 100 views)
Old 19-11-19, 09:38 PM

A very quick look, the photo shows a kilted regiment and a badge similar to the Royal Scots, HLI rather than The Scottish Rifles, note different spellings of surname:

First Name:
John
Surname:
Bulloch
Regiments served with:
Unit Rank Service Number
6th Scottish Rifles Private 1672
6th Scottish Rifles Private 240167

Nominal index of all service personnel serving in a theatre of war 1914-1919

First Name:
J
Surname:
Bullock
Resided Town:
Hamilton
Report Date:
29/08/1916
Information:
Listed as "Wounded" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office from 29th August 1916.
Further Information:
This man was entitled to wear a "Wound Stripe" as authorised under Army Order 204 of 6th July 1916. The terms of this award being met by their naming in this list.
Private
Service Number:
Duty Location:
France and Flanders
Service:
British Army
Primary Unit:
Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
Tertiary Unit:
Attached East Yorkshire Regiment
Archive Reference:
DT30081916

British Army daily reports (missing, dead, wounded & POWs) WWI

First Name:
J
Surname:
Bullock
Report Date:
05/04/1916
Information:
Listed as "Wounded, shock, shell" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office.
Further Information:
This man was entitled to wear a "Wound Stripe" as authorised under Army Order 204 of 6th July 1916. The terms of this award being met by their naming in this list.
Private
Service Number:
Service:
British Army
Primary Unit:
Archive Reference:
DT06041916

First Name:
J
Surname:
Bullock
Report Date:
06/1915
Information:
Listed as "Wounded" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office from June and July 1915.
Further Information:
Private
Service Number:
Duty Location:
France and Flanders
Service:
British Army
Primary Unit:
Secondary Unit:
6th Battalion
Tertiary Unit:
Territorial Force
Archive Reference:
DT01111915

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 20-11-19 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Tidied up typo.
Old 19-11-19, 09:56 PM

Although it's about the 2nd Bn of The Scottish Rifles, not the 6th Bn, I recommend a read of the book "Morale, A Study of Men and Courage, The Second Scottish Rifles at Neuve Chapelle, 1915" by John Baines.
Old 19-11-19, 10:00 PM

Hi Tim
The cap badge and kilt look more like Highland Light Infantry to me

Gerard
Old 19-11-19, 10:04 PM

Wow Leigh ! Thanks for such a speedy reply. Please excuse my ignorance but all these references which are slightly different - seem linked to the same service number? ( I get the slightly different spelling of Bulloch / Bullock - which may well be a simple admin error ) - but I'm confused as to why his secondary and tertiary units would be different ? And does that mean he started in the Scottish Rifles but served in other units ( East Yorks ? ) via the 6th Btn ? Is that the wound stripe on his sleeve and if so does he actually have two? And finally any idea on the medals? Many thanks again Tim
Old 19-11-19, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
Wow Leigh ! Thanks for such a speedy reply. Please excuse my ignorance but all these references which are slightly different - seem linked to the same service number? ( I get the slightly different spelling of Bulloch / Bullock - which may well be a simple admin error ) - but I'm confused as to why his secondary and tertiary units would be different ? And does that mean he started in the Scottish Rifles but served in other units ( East Yorks ? ) via the 6th Btn ? Is that the wound stripe on his sleeve and if so does he actually have two? And finally any idea on the medals? Many thanks again Tim
Hi Tim
The “ stripes” on his sleeve are good conduct chevrons

Gerard
Old 19-11-19, 11:31 PM

Hi Tim

His Medal index Card on Ancestry shows that he served with the Scottish Rifles ie the Cameronians under Service Number 1672 and later 240167. He was awarded three medals ie the 1914/15 Star, British War medal and Victory medal.
His Medal Roll entry for the British War and Victory medals records him serving with 6 Sco Rif 1672, 10 Sco Rif 1672, 10 Sco Rif 240167.
He was also awarded the Silver War Badge number 484472 and was discharged due to sickness on the 14th December 1918.
However as far as I am concerned that is a Highland light Infantry cap badge in the picture.

Eric
Old 19-11-19, 11:36 PM

Slight correction to my previous post.
The Medal Rolls show him as being with 6th Sco Rif 1672, 10th Sco Rif 1672 and 5/6th Sco Rif 240167.
Old 20-11-19, 08:49 AM

Many thanks Eric.
Old 20-11-19, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

The photos hows a Private with 6 years worth of good conduct chevrons on his sleeve with a crossed rifles marksman's badge.

I can't see a wound stripe but that would have sat vertically below the other sleeve badges.

as stated he is wearing the badge of the HLI, or possibly Royal Scots. but not the Cameronians, Scottish Reifles which would have been the white metal wreath badge by WW1.

The absence of medal ribbons suggest pre 1918 - he would have been wearing the 1914-15 star ribbon by the end of 1917/18 and by 1919 he would have the other 2.
Old 20-11-19, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
I think most of your queries have been covered by the last couple of posts, I don't know what the East Yorkshire Regiment entry is about, they were no East Yorks battalions in the same division as the 5/6 Scottish Rifles.

A little bit of general background to the 5/6 Bns activities in July 1916 when they were part of 19th Brigade, 33rd Division.

19th July moved up Death Valley to attack High Wood, midnight, rushed wood at 03:35 hours, battalion historian records all opposition wiped out by 15:00 hours and wood in full possession of 19 Bde.

Relieved during night after strong counter attacks and moved to Mametz Wood.
Casualties 407, over half missing " never to be seen again".

On 14th July strength of battalion 40 officers and 1,067 ORs
On 21st July at Mametz Wood strength of battalion 199 all ranks.

22nd July to Beure.
6th August Becondel - Becourt.
18th August support trenches near High Wood.
19th August front line between High Wood and Delville Wood.

Took turns in line until relieved on 27th August,
resting between tours at Mametz Wood, Fricourt Wood,
Pommiers Redoubt.
28th August Fricourt Wood.
29th August Becordel-Becourt
Old 20-11-19, 09:48 AM

General background to the June - July 1915 entry:

2nd June 6th Scottish Rifles moved to Le Cornet, joined 154th Brigade 51st Highland Division.

6th June took over trenches near Festubert.
9th to billets near Le Tourer.
12th to Le Cornet Malo.
13th front line trenches east of Festubert.

The night before the attack planned for 15th June the enemy was heard shouting "Come on Jocks, we are waiting for you".
Zero hour, first waves over parapet into the enemy line.

Colonel Strong - "Nothing but great determination to close with the enemy could have carried the men forward in the face of such massacre".

51st Division history records how the men plunged into the enemy wire, lacerating their flesh until they fell.

2nd line captured before dark at great cost.
Only 3 officers left unhurt.

Battalion held gains until relieved around 04:00 hours on the 16th.

Survivors marched to Le Touret, roll call, Colonel Strong records that of the original strength of 705,
357 remained.

To billets in Le Cornet Malo in afternoon.

24th marched to Estairs.
25th Laventie.
27th took over front line trenches.
Old 20-11-19, 01:07 PM

I'm so grateful to you Leigh and indeed all of the other forum members who have responded. I have quite a story to pass on to my Godson - and it could have been lost forever? Tim
Old 20-11-19, 02:05 PM

Have you checked re. the identity of the man in the photo? As has been commented, his badge is of Royal Scots or Highland Light Infantry pattern rather than Scottish Rifles.
Old 20-11-19, 02:29 PM

Yes asking the question of the family - it does seem very strange .