British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-04-08, 02:53 PM

Default Oman Parachute Regiment

Oman made it’s first foray into military parachuting in 1976 when D Squadron of the Oman Gendarmerie was given a parachute role. In 1980 this was formalised when the squadron became independent as the Oman Parachute Squadron - Sariyya al Midhallat Omaniya. The unit's badge was closely based on that of the British Parachute Regiment with the crown replaced by a scroll bearing it’s title along the top.

Since a maroon British style airborne beret would hardly have stood out in the red bereted SAF the new unit choose to wear a poster grey beret. This is very similar to that worn by Polish paratroops during WW2 but it's not clear whether there was an intentional link.

In 1983 the squadron was expanded to become the Oman Parachute Regiment and the badge was changed so the scroll reads Kateeba Midhallat Sultan Oman. A small Arabic figure 1 was also added on the parachute canopy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Para 1st patt.JPG (66.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Para 2nd patt.JPG (50.9 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 26-04-08 at 10:15 AM.
Old 25-04-08, 06:38 PM

Now they have got to be a must for Airborne collectors.

Last edited by 54Bty; 03-04-09 at 07:51 PM.
Old 26-04-08, 07:59 AM

And some wings

The first pattern was very British in style but were worn (as are all following patterns) on the left side of the chest.

Second pattern - I don't know much about these.

Third pattern - these exist with both pin fastening and lugs. I don't know if there is a cloth version. I am beginning to suspect that these are not Parachute Regiment. They might be Royal Guard Regiment?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oman para wings patt 1.jpg (31.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Oman cloth para wings Patt 2.JPG (26.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Oman metal para wings.JPG (33.1 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 16-07-08 at 02:18 PM.
Old 26-04-08, 10:41 AM

And the Tactical Recognition Flash. In the field all Omani soldiers Jundi to Liwa (Private to General) wear a plain shamagh with no badges. Although the way it's folded can tell you which tribe or family the wearer comes from - sometimes!

There is a system of TRF which all seem to be based on the unit cap badge on a base of unit colours. Hence the maroon and grey.

I've never seen a DZ patch but there may well be one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Para TRF.JPG (47.1 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Eddie Parks; 26-04-08 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-04-09, 05:33 PM

Smile oman para wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
And some wings

The first pattern was very British in style but were worn (as are all following patterns) on the left side of the chest.

Third pattern - these exist with both pin fastening and lugs. I don't know if there is a cloth version. I am beginning to suspect that these are not Parachute Regiment. They might be Royal Guard Regiment?
the second pattern are what the parachute regiment of oman wear now, i have just done a few jumps with them. i dont suppose you know where i can purchase some from as i only got issued with the 1 set, also the third pattern ? thanks..
Old 04-04-09, 08:11 AM

Fraid I can't help. The latter pattern appears on eBay quite often.

Eddie
Old 04-04-09, 02:23 PM

Can you not contact the Omani embassy, perhaps they could help, as you are entitled to them...

Tom
Old 09-04-09, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne 51 View Post
the second pattern are what the parachute regiment of oman wear now, i have just done a few jumps with them. i dont suppose you know where i can purchase some from as i only got issued with the 1 set, also the third pattern ? thanks..
what do they appear on ebay as ?
Old 09-04-09, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Oman made it’s first foray into military parachuting in 1976 when D Squadron of the Oman Gendarmerie was given a parachute role. In 1980 this was formalised when the squadron became independent as the Oman Parachute Squadron - Sariyya al Midhallat Omaniya. The unit's badge was closely based on that of the British Parachute Regiment with the crown replaced by a scroll bearing it’s title along the top.

Since a maroon British style airborne beret would hardly have stood out in the red bereted SAF the new unit choose to wear a poster grey beret. This is very similar to that worn by Polish paratroops during WW2 but it's not clear whether there was an intentional link.

In 1983 the squadron was expanded to become the Oman Parachute Regiment and the badge was changed so the scroll reads Kateeba Midhallat Sultan Oman. A small Arabic figure 1 was also added on the parachute canopy.
Please may i ask where you got these wings from as i desperately want a set, thanks.
Old 09-04-09, 04:19 PM

I was issued with the first in Oman - just the one.
I was given the second by an Omani friend a few years ago.
I got the third from eBay - search was simply Oman militaria.
Old 13-06-13, 09:47 PM

Default A version of each listed on ebay

Guys
doing some digging on some Omani bits i have just listed and found this information here.
There is one version of each of the cap badges listed.
Happy collecting
Jon
Old 14-06-13, 05:17 AM

Quote:
And some wings

Having served in SAF (1977-79) I'm surprised that the second pattern wings were ever adopted - the very poor representation of the khanjar and cross swords would never have passed HM The Sultan's inspection - he takes (or took) a great interest in these matters.
Old 15-06-14, 02:22 PM

Eddy, third are metal model of Sultans Special Forces never saw theses while in Oman only saw the cloth version. I did some jumps while the Para training course was based at Seeb with Peter Everard as boss, original wings given at that time were Saudi metal wings, then type one came into play.
Old 17-06-14, 01:34 PM

Hmm, well - they don't bear a lot of resemblance to the SSF OR's wings below - wrong style of wings and no crown - so I am not convinced they have anything to do with the SSF.

The second set of cloth wings below are much more like the metal ones but I am told they were made in South Africa for a group of SA advisers so I still don't think we've seen the definitive explanation of who wore them, metal or cloth??

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSF wings.JPG (22.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Oman sib wings copy.jpg (59.5 KB, 20 views)