British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-02-21, 12:56 PM

Default Essex regt blank scroll

Bought a tin of badges off ebay out of bordom and coz they were cheap guessing the Essex is fake chaps wat about the other please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1613739164375850116246.jpg (64.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 1613739218041599471215.jpg (62.7 KB, 110 views)
Old 25-02-21, 03:21 PM

As there are no replies chaps are these fake please ? if not they are for sale thank you .
Old 25-02-21, 04:10 PM

I would say certainly the IG is bad, and most likely the Essex is as well. Although I am not absolutely sure about it, I would expect braze holes and a slightly finer strike for these.

CB
Old 25-02-21, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
I would say certainly the IG is bad, and most likely the Essex is as well. Although I am not absolutely sure about it, I would expect braze holes and a slightly finer strike for these.

CB
Many thanks ,
Old 25-02-21, 05:16 PM

I agree, the Irish Guards badge is a mess.
Andy
Old 25-02-21, 05:35 PM

Thank you gents for your time.
Old 25-02-21, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry but I think the Essex with it's big blank scroll is a fake.
Old 25-02-21, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Thank you Allan
Old 26-02-21, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Indeed it is a repro. Jeremy Tenniswood flogs this type with the very deep set tablet border for tenner a go.

I would also echo the comments on the Irish Guards badge.

Send them both back if you can.
Old 26-02-21, 07:31 AM

I hope the remaining contents of the tin mentioned are better than the pair in the photograph, if not, I should return the lot for a refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
Bought a tin of badges off ebay out of bordom and coz they were cheap guessing the Essex is fake chaps wat about the other please
Old 26-02-21, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Indeed it is a repro. Jeremy Tenniswood flogs this type with the very deep set tablet border for tenner a go.

I would also echo the comments on the Irish Guards badge.

Send them both back if you can.
I've had one of these for years but it does have sweatholes and is a pretty convincing looking badge with age and polish, not that the latter means anything.

The subject of the TA badge fretted out either side of the turrets came up on here years ago and the general consensus was that all like this are fake although I did point out that it appears on some of the VB's ones.

I'll try and post pics from my phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9A94FC29-48A7-4DC6-BF3F-87A4F565EEC9.jpg (43.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 317D659D-ACBB-4543-BBF2-194646E54B92.jpg (31.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 26-02-21, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
I've had one of these for years but it does have sweatholes and is a pretty convincing looking badge with age and polish, not that the latter means anything.

The subject of the TA badge fretted out either side of the turrets came up on here years ago and the general consensus was that all like this are fake although I did point out that it appears on some of the VB's ones.

Many thanks for taking the time to share this , Ive learned sumat !
Old 26-02-21, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post

Yes they’re very well rendered. I don’t wonder if they are true restrikes (no die flaws!) due to the quality of the design, albeit I’ve not found one yet that I would definitely say is good. I don’t recall seeing any like it with braze holes. An area worthy of further study.
Old 26-02-21, 11:00 PM

Greetings.

To add to this thread, I too believe that the badge subject of the opening post is a fake, albeit a very well produced one, but there is an however.

I’m working on a project that involves trying to identify makers and dies of Essex OR badges and so far I have come across 5 different dies, (including examples of the subject badge) for the blank plinth badge, one of which is Lambourne.

One way I have of identifying a die is counting the brick courses on the left hand side of the castle, the turret and main body, (very sad I know), and naming each as 9 9 9, 10 11 10 etc.

The subject badge has a different count to each of the other dies and has been pointed out, it does not have sweat holes, although this is not damning proof, as neither of the Lambourne’s do either, (although a probable SA scroll Lambourne does).

In addition to the subject badge being a fake, I have the identical badge faked with the SA scroll.

In respect of Keith’s badge, it is, as can be seen, not completely voided between castle and Oak leaves wreath and does have sweat holes.

It is a completely different design badge to the opening item, especially the castle centre turret and castle as a whole and to be honest, I have not seen this example of badge before and wouldn’t write it off as a fake.

I see no real reason why some OR badges should not have voids, bearing in mind many OSD badges are in the style of Other Ranks badges and do have these voids, and as Keith noted, so do VB badges.

I will add that an Egypt scroll OR bi-metal is not a commonly seen item; does this suggest that they all are fakes or is it that a very small number only were produced.

Now the however: some years ago I made enquiries with the The Essex Regiment Museum in respect of voided OR badges, stating that the only examples I had seen were on blank scrolls and I was informed that they were assumed to be manufacturers variants.

Muddied the waters………………….maybe.

Regards.
Brian

Last edited by Fatherofthree; 26-02-21 at 11:08 PM. Reason: add a bit more