British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-04-17, 04:00 PM

Default Reconnaissance Corps armband?

I may be way off the mark here but does this armband have anything to do with the Reconnaissance Corps as it is in their colours? If not does anyone know who may have worn it and what it signifies?

I have trawled through lists and photographs of arm bands and brassards and can find nothing similar on the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badges 009.jpg (65.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Badges 010.jpg (74.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 22-04-17, 04:22 PM

Its pictured in Jon Mills and Terry Carneys "In the space of a single day" book but I can't find it in the text, so its something to do with the Home Guard.

Rob
Old 22-04-17, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Its pictured in Jon Mills and Terry Carneys "In the space of a single day" book but I can't find it in the text, so its something to do with the Home Guard.

Rob
Brilliant, I will see what I can find. Many thanks.

Simon.
Old 25-04-17, 07:42 AM

I cannot find any information regarding Home Guard armbands beyond the basic Home Guard and LDV types on the internet. However the IWM online collection has the following description:

badge, label, seal . armlet, label, seal. . Badge: an armlet divided equally horizontally yellow and green. The ends joined by two strips of black elastic. Khaki drill cloth backing to reverse. . Soft fabric label: . WORKING PATTERN No 11660 . Stamped: STANDARD . Specification No. (blank) .../... Catalogue No. CB1782 . Designation: Armlets, Yellow & Green, Home Guard. .../... "Cotton used for machining at edges to be the same colour as green material." . Date of sealing: date stamp - 14 OCT 19(illegible - possibly 58) . Badge secured to label with a length of white cotton tape, sealed to label with a square of khaki cloth on which a red sealing wax seal bearing the shield of the Arms of the Board of Ordnance surrounded by Chief Inspector.

1958 seem to be very late for the Home Guard and there is no information given as to what the armband signified.

Last edited by High Wood; 25-04-17 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 25-04-17, 09:01 AM

I've had another look at the aforementioned book and found the reference, its quite tricky finding the text that goes with the colour plate, much easier to read the text and then find the picture, but I'm not complaining its still a great book.

Wartime, Green over Yellow armband worn by Home Guard personnel acting as guides to regular troops.

Post war, Yellow over Green armband worn by Home Guard personnel to identify them when not in uniform.

But I don't know how you tell the period of manufacture?

Rob
Old 25-04-17, 10:45 AM

Smile

Rob,

many thanks for taking the time to look this up for me. Mine is clearly green over yellow rather than yellow over green.
Old 20-11-19, 01:58 PM
Glosters Cloth

Simon,
Hope you are well?
Do you still have the gree/yellow armband?
Ken
Old 22-11-19, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosters Cloth View Post
Simon,
Hope you are well?
Do you still have the gree/yellow armband?
Ken
Ken,

I have only just seen this post. No, I no longer have the armband as it was outside my area of interest.

Simon.
Old 22-11-19, 03:36 PM

sorry , a bit late this post but i can completely confirm this arm band IS Home guard /boy scout messaging service having been given the arm band by a guy who served in both as a 16 year old ( did not serve in the army ) so no chance he got confused
Old 25-11-19, 11:39 AM
Glosters Cloth

Simon,
Many thanks.
Ken
Old 16-12-23, 08:48 PM

Default Armband

It’s in Brian Davis book Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers Survey units