British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-11-22, 05:09 PM

Default Athlete’s Volunteer Force 1914

In trying to put together some information regarding Liverpool VTC’s I have acquired a copy of Ray Westlakes “Guide to the VTC’s” which although it answers a number of queries, raises more.

Is anyone please able to tell me if the Athletes Volunteer Force was a national organisation with local branches as appears to be the case ?

Thanks in advance.

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-11-22, 05:48 PM

Here in Norfolk, many groups where formed , before coming bigger, changing names or join other units, all in the space of a few weeks. But no athletes volunteer force
Old 07-11-22, 05:52 PM

Default AVF

Peter,

Yes, the Athlete's Volunteer Force could certainly be considered National. They were one of a small number of organisations that had a broad presence across England, I'm aware of around 50 Athlete's Corps, with a single further corps in Ireland.

Most wore the common blue lapel badge, although several did have their own cap badge, too. Like the National Volunteer Reserve, they were overtaken by the 'recognition' that only the VTC received.

Very interested, of course, in anything you dig up!

Very best regards,

Tim
Old 07-11-22, 06:06 PM

Peter,

They seem to have been everywhere.

here is a little potted history of the one very local to me.

Ashton under Lyne Athletes Defence Corps

Formed 19.9.1914 with several squads including at Trafalgar Square School; Stamford Street U.M. Church: Hooley Hill Independent Sunday School; Albion School; West End Recreational Ground. Officially recognised by Central Association VTC on 5.12.1914. From January 1915 they used the miniature rifle range at Albert street, Dukinfield. On 6.3.1915 it amalgamated with the Ashton Civilian Corps and used the title of the later.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 07-11-22, 06:08 PM

Thanks Tim and Simon.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-11-22, 07:02 PM

This now makes sense.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63135636-BB12-48D2-A4C6-0D4173657A2A.jpg (69.6 KB, 45 views)

Old 29-11-22, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
In trying to put together some information regarding Liverpool VTC’s I have acquired a copy of Ray Westlakes “Guide to the VTC’s” which although it answers a number of queries, raises more.

Is anyone please able to tell me if the Athletes Volunteer Force was a national organisation with local branches as appears to be the case ?

Thanks in advance.

P.
Peter,

One of the founders of the AVF was the editor of the Sportsman newspaper which occasionally published lists of places where branches had been formed. This list appeared in the 11 November 1914 edition and shows how widespread the force was.

Hope it's of interest.

Steve
Ps my first album was about the AVF https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3272
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221129-162346_Drive.jpg (72.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221129-162406_Drive.jpg (71.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20221129-162424_Drive.jpg (75.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Beaker123; 29-11-22 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-12-22, 12:43 PM

Many many thanks Steve,

Apologies for delay in responding.

Regards

Peter

Old 01-12-22, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Here in Norfolk, many groups where formed , before coming bigger, changing names or join other units, all in the space of a few weeks. But no athletes volunteer force
I light of the newspaper cutting, I think we can say I am wrong. There was indeed one in Norfolk.