British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-06-19, 08:03 PM

This document on the Nassau regiment in Spain has illustrations:
https://www.napoleon-series.org/mili...nChapter3b.pdf

I do not see any shoulder belt plates on their uniforms, but the badge is on page 4.

Next topic to research is the Nassau regiment in the UK.
Their new uniforms may have included shoulder belt plates.

I think they fought at Waterloo.
https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/Wa...e_Bras_Nassau/

One more link:
https://blundersonthedanube.blogspot...-regiment.html

Last edited by btns; 19-06-19 at 08:14 PM. Reason: links added
Old 20-06-19, 01:27 PM

Thank you a lot!!!
Very interesting to get new knowledge about that period.
That is why I love this hobby - you can always touch the pieces of history,that many people can see only at museums or on TV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nassau_1Regiment1815_Frankenbach.jpg (73.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Nassau_1Regiment1815_Roessler.jpg (78.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Nassau_Infanterie1815_WaterlooPanorama.jpg (58.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Nassau_Offizier_Aerts.jpg (44.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by lex1705; 20-06-19 at 01:33 PM.
Old 20-06-19, 04:19 PM

Hi btns
Many thanks for the interesting links. I think you have finally "nailed it" there ; The design on the Nassau Colours in your first link exactly matches the SBP posted by lex.
As for the question of whether or not Nassau was Dutch or German at that time, this remains problematical (to me at least). The text by Michael Glover in "The Armies at Waterloo" pp162-3 states ; "..Since the reigning families of the Netherlands and Nassau were closely linked, five Nassau Battalions formed a Brigade of the Netherlands Army under Prince Bernard of Saxe-Weimer..." ?? So, that statement in itself is puzzling !
Anyway, a good piece of research btns, and well done. Regards Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 20-06-19 at 04:47 PM.
Old 20-06-19, 05:31 PM

I cannot reproduce it, but I once read that when the Prince of Orange planned his return to the Netherlands he was not too sure if he would be welcomed. He was given an armed force of former Dutch prisoners of war and the Nassau battalion. It was a clever political move and good riddance of mouths to feed.

After his coronation the King drafted the Nassau battalion into the Dutch Army.
Charles Bernhard duke of Saxe Weimar Eisenach was his brother in law. He joined the Dutch Army and lead the Dutch troops at Waterloo.
Old 20-06-19, 05:33 PM

Default Further facts

Hi lex & btns
Just a few more closing remarks re your excellent research :

(1) According to "Wikipeadia" Nassau was an Independent State from 1806 to 1866.

(2)The reverse of this 1809 Nassau coin definitely confirms the identity of your SBP lex.

(3) A Nassau Waterloo medal obv & rev for interest. (The ribbon was dark blue with yellow edges)

Once again congratulations on an excellent piece of research. Jeff

image03796.jpg Nassau Waterloo medal.jpg

PS: lex ; A word to the wise : I shouldn't be too anxious to get rid of these items … you have two very rare and desirable pieces there. J

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 20-06-19 at 07:05 PM.
Old 23-06-19, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
Hi lex & btns
Just a few more closing remarks re your excellent research :

(1) According to "Wikipeadia" Nassau was an Independent State from 1806 to 1866.

(2)The reverse of this 1809 Nassau coin definitely confirms the identity of your SBP lex.

(3) A Nassau Waterloo medal obv & rev for interest. (The ribbon was dark blue with yellow edges)

Once again congratulations on an excellent piece of research. Jeff

Attachment 208647 Attachment 208648

PS: lex ; A word to the wise : I shouldn't be too anxious to get rid of these items … you have two very rare and desirable pieces there. J
Hi Jeff
I am very glad to get some items of that time.I am not going to sale them,at least now.
A one person from the other foreign forum has said to me,that the first plate,possibly,could be of the 3th artillery regiment,becouse of the blue coloure.And it also could be made from the silver. But I did not find any hallmarks on it,but it looks like a silver.
Can it been made from silver,but without hallmarks?
Old 23-06-19, 04:54 PM

Hi lex
Sorry to disagree with your friend on the foreign forum, but your first SBP is definitely of the Honourable Artillery Company … it says so on the garter !
Despite its name, the HAC is the oldest Infantry Regiment in the British Army, incorporated by Royal Charter (Henry VIII) in 1537, although apparently its ancestry can be traced back to 1087 ! Also, it is said that the 1st Foot Guards (later the Grenadier Guards) was originally formed by members of this regiment. So … quite an old and established British Institution.
The SBP you have is an officer's circa 1790 - 1815 and quite a rare "find" .. I have never seen another like it in 60 odd years research. So, worth getting an evaluation from the regiment. Presumably details can be found on the Web. All the very best. Jeff

PS: Yes, some silver badges do not have hallmarks .. tho' I am surprised this one has not. Perhaps it was imported silver ??
Old 23-06-19, 05:08 PM

I still find it hard to believe that anyone would buy items like these without any prior knowledge ? Especially as you don't collect them ? Were they extremely cheap or have you more money than sense ????? Somethings not quite right IMO
Andy
Old 23-06-19, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Hi lex
Sorry to disagree with your friend on the foreign forum, but your first SBP is definitely of the Honourable Artillery Company … it says so on the garter !
Despite its name, the HAC is the oldest Infantry Regiment in the British Army, incorporated by Royal Charter (Henry VIII) in 1537, although apparently its ancestry can be traced back to 1087 ! Also, it is said that the 1st Foot Guards (later the Grenadier Guards) was originally formed by members of this regiment. So … quite an old and established British Institution.
The SBP you have is an officer's circa 1790 - 1815 and quite a rare "find" .. I have never seen another like it in 60 odd years research. So, worth getting an evaluation from the regiment. Presumably details can be found on the Web. All the very best. Jeff

PS: Yes, some silver badges do not have hallmarks .. tho' I am surprised this one has not. Perhaps it was imported silver ??
Oops,sorry,my mistake,he said there -"3th Infantry Regiment".It says on the plate "Artillery",that is why I automatically wrote so
Old 23-06-19, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
I still find it hard to believe that anyone would buy items like these without any prior knowledge ? Especially as you don't collect them ? Were they extremely cheap or have you more money than sense ????? Somethings not quite right IMO
Andy
Hi Andy
Nevertheless, a fantastic "find" don't you think !?
Old 23-06-19, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Andy
Hi Andy
In my situation,these items have been bought from a local dealer of old stuff in a small town of Germany(I live in Germany).I guess,he bought them for 10 or 15 euro for a one piece.The dealer is not young,and just did not found them in google,so sold them not expensive too.Must say,I thought it is not such old items.I thought may by around the 1st WW or a little erlier.
p.s. I work by a coin dealer in our town and very often other local dealers of old things and antiques offer me thier new purchases from people.
Old 23-06-19, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Hi Andy
Nevertheless, a fantastic "find" don't you think !?
Yes of course i do.
Andy
Old 23-06-19, 07:50 PM

A wonderful find, fantastic - lovely pieces.
Old 23-06-19, 08:14 PM

Hi lex
Concerning the value of these two pieces ; I would guess in excess of £1,000 each. Regards. Jeff